Why are building alarms not made with a auto cutoff?

Soldato
It becomes clear how many house alarms are not maintained whenever there's a power cut and you can hear them all going off around the neighborhood because their battery backup has failed.

Soldato
It becomes clear how many house alarms are not maintained whenever there's a power cut and you can hear them all going off around the neighborhood because their battery backup has failed.
They should be replaced every 5 years. Plus a service from a burglar alarm company. My parents paid £55 for one last year and replaced the battery. Also a wire was corroded that was replaced

Soldato
Nonsense.

Empty office building across the street, the alarm started going off about lunchtime. Didn't stop after an hour, so I reported it to the council. Call back within a couple hours, an hour later they'd tracked down the building owner, given them a kick and got someone out to turn it off. Went off again about a week later, that time they were less understanding with the owner. It's been fine since.

If you don't report it, they can't do anything about it.
I think either your council must be much more proactive than many others, or they treat residential and commercial noise issues differently. Can tell you for a fact that my council just washed their hands of an alarm that was going off all day from the early hours near where I used to live.

Soldato
OP
If an alarm keeps activating on so many occasions, most people just ignore them "oh its that same house again, must just be a fault". But of course alarms act as a security benefit, if a burglar had a choice he would pick a house without an alarm.

Yeah the initial 20 minutes and the presence of an alarm I accept that, just the going off perpetually.

For reference this alarm is still going 18 hours since we first heard it, neighbour asked me to log it with council which I just did as they not investigating.

I had a look, I think its coming from inside a building been renovated as a takeaway, and no one is there. So I think its an internal alarm.

Soldato
OP
Council are here and walking around now to source it down, they told me over 20 people rang about it and because its ongoing for nearly 24 hours its a noise emergency.

Soldato
OP
For the curious, it is a residential property, my estimation of location I gave to council was very accurate, it is a flat above a pizza takeaway. The letting agent has been informed, and I got told they know what happens if they dont act (rapidly rising costs) which makes me think in the past the council have had to be forceful with them. I got given a new number to ring to let them know if the alarm stops, I offered to wait a couple of days, but they encouraged me to ring during the night if its still going and they will then get the warrant to force the issue.

The alarm is a fire alarm so not security, the window is open on the property.

Soldato
Ours stops around the 20min mark. It then re-sets the alarm.

The issue generally is that the instance that triggered the alarm (circuit broken, faulty PIR etc) then re-triggers it for another period. Since the reset takes just a second or two it seems like a continous alarm.

Yes they do stop after a time. Set one off last week (oops). They'll stay off unless re-triggered

Soldato
We had a neighbours car alarm go off multiple times at 3AM

sort your car out !
Could be foxes setting alarm?

On the subject of car alarms, I went to air shows as a kid. On the few occasions when there was the Vulcan flying. Due to the low pitch noise and vibrations, Vulcan set off many car alarms. As most set up picnics at the front of the car park.

Associate
like others have said standard noise pollution on older alarm systems are 20 mins, 15 for the newer ones

But normally an alarm would only turn off automatically if auto-rearm feature has been turned on

Caporegime
*Days*

The hyperbole on this forum just gets better :cry::cry::cry:

It's not hyperbole to relay actual experiences, on a number of occasions I have experienced alarms going off for days when people have been on holiday.

Nonsense.

Empty office building across the street, the alarm started going off about lunchtime. Didn't stop after an hour, so I reported it to the council. Call back within a couple hours, an hour later they'd tracked down the building owner, given them a kick and got someone out to turn it off. Went off again about a week later, that time they were less understanding with the owner. It's been fine since.

If you don't report it, they can't do anything about it.

Your experience is the exception, not the rule.

Back
Top Bottom