Why are gaming monitors such poor USB hubs?

Soldato
Gaming monitors need more USB ports. Quite often monitors have USB hubs integrated, with 2 - 4 ports. That's fine for office use where you will have your keyboard, mouse, webcam, and mobile device connected, but gamers are a different matter. We need more. I have a soundbar, headset, microphone, two webcams, keyboard, trackball, a vertical mouse I'm trying out, HOTAS, phone, SD card reader, fingerprint reader, and a few other things. Granted I'm duplicating a few things but that's about a dozen ports in use. Yes, I can plug a hub into the monitor, but why should I have to? And I've experienced messages about maximum hub depth.

Associate
You don't resprent most gamers with that many peripherals xD

Also most people dont use the USB's on a monitor (from massive 10 or so sample size lol)

Most gamers: Mouse, Keyboard, Headset maybe a controller. Theres plenty on a motherboard for that.

For the record i also have way too many USB devices lol.

Soldato
OP
Also most people dont use the USB's on a monitor (from massive 10 or so sample size lol)

Perhaps they would if they were there?

Most gamers: Mouse, Keyboard, Headset maybe a controller.

Don't forget the phone / tablet and webcam.

For the record i also have way too many USB devices lol.

Then let me personalise the question: would you plug everything into the monitor's USB hub if you could?

Soldato
Could be asked why would you risk possible and likely increase in latency from all devices fighting for same shared bus?

Because of time division based multiplexing something's going to have increase in latency every time two devices want to communicate at the same time.
And doubt that "input" and "output" directions can communicate separately further adding "collisions".

Soldato
OP
Could be asked why would you risk possible and likely increase in latency from all devices fighting for same shared bus?

THe bandwidth required for keyboards and mice is so limited that I doubt that this is an issue. Even high-bandwidth devices like webcams don't put that much stress on the bus.

Soldato
THe bandwidth required for keyboards and mice is so limited that I doubt that this is an issue. Even high-bandwidth devices like webcams don't put that much stress on the bus.
It's not even about the bandwidth. For keyboard and mouse especially I would rather have them connected straight to a CPU controlled USB ports to keep latency low, no point adding them further down the chain. Same reason for sound bar especially for gaming, and I would prefer the 3.5mm/optical on the motherboard/sound card for that.

As for phone/tablet unless the monitor supports USB-PD I would rather have them connected to a dedicated charger.

Webcam fair enough, can get away with that and will be more tidier.

Soldato
Personally I prefer not to use the ports on my monitor. One for the reasons listed above but mainly because it looks a mess with cables coming out the side!

Last edited:
Associate
...would you plug everything into the monitor's USB hub if you could?
I'm the sort of person who has loads of USB things to plug in. I have tried using the USB ports on monitors before, and came to the conclusion that they aren't very useful for me. For things like keyboard and mouse that stay plugged in all the time, they may as well be plugged straight into the PC. For things that are plugged in at random times, like flash drives, I find that the monitor isn't close enough - a hub in a keyboard would be better.

Back
Top Bottom