• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why are GPU's so cheap now?

Associate
3090s for under a grand

Just saying very cheap, compared to a few months ago.

Its great that they are back to RRP but what does that mean for the 40 series?

Why are GPU,s so cheap? this includes the AMD top tier cards too?
Will there be a shortage for 40 series?
Will we have to pre-order and wait months/years like last year?

GTC next week, apparently we only having 4090s for this year until 2023 for 4080s?

Thanks

Man of Honour
3090s for under a grand

GTC next week, apparently we only having 4090s for this year until 2023 for 4080s?

Thanks

Mining is over and economy tanking and with new high-end cards out soon there is little demand this late in the cycle.

Nvidia and AMD are trying to shift huge overstocks that were produced for mining boom prices, hence the delays. They're still overpriced on historical levels.

Associate
How can you call £300/500 cheap..Expensive in my Book.
Nvidia is not pulling the wool over my eyes, they trying to condition us to accept ~£300 is the starting point for a proper entry level GPU that will last a few years like the still clearly overpriced 3050.It would seriously have to be around £200 before i consider it over the cheaper, better RX 6600.

Soldato
I remember years ago £200/300 odd was enough for a high end GPU... I understand GPUs these days are more complex to build but even then it seems way more expensive than necessary.

Soldato
Whatever the OP's been drinking i want some. ;)

Cheap...ROFL. Give me a call when top tier cards are back to the $500-600 that they used to be, tech/silicon is meant to get cheaper as time passes.

Soldato
3090s for under a grand

Thanks
The reason the higher end cards have dropped in price is because they were overpriced to begin with and not worth the money, it was only the mining boom which propped up sales and once that ended the sales collapsed and nvidia have been forced into adjusting the prices.

If Jensen thinks that by withholding the more affordable 4000 series cards till next year people will buy EOL 3000 series then he will be disappointed especially if AMD drop some RDNA3 before next year.

It's also bad for marketing if nvidia release the new gen and only have a $1500 product available for the first 3 months.

Soldato
We're getting towards the end of the product cycle of the 3000 series being the latest card, retailers are now wanting to sell off excess stock due to needing space for stock of the 4000 series

V F

V F

Soldato
I remember years ago £200/300 odd was enough for a high end GPU... I understand GPUs these days are more complex to build but even then it seems way more expensive than necessary.

Even back in 2007/8 a high end or flagship card was anything from £330 to £475.

Soldato
4090 is allegedly twice as fast; I doubt it will be £2k.

£1k for a 3090 isn't looking cheap at all, irrespective of prior pricing.

Whilst I hope you are right, I can't see Nvidia giving away that much performance in a generation. If they manage a 50% performance uplift they'd be gifting more than usual for a new generation. 4090 will be twice the price of a 4080 and 15% faster. :D

Man of Honour
Whilst I hope you are right, I can't see Nvidia giving away that much performance in a generation. If they manage a 50% performance uplift they'd be gifting more than usual for a new generation. 4090 will be twice the price of a 4080 and 15% faster. :D

I think it is likely to be true (that next gen are a huge bump), we've had years of stagnation and they could sell pretty much any old turd due to mining, so there needs to be a reason to make everyone upgrade this time.

Soldato
Nvidia is not pulling the wool over my eyes, they trying to condition us to accept ~£300 is the starting point for a proper entry level GPU that will last a few years like the still clearly overpriced 3050.It would seriously have to be around £200 before i consider it over the cheaper, better RX 6600.
Couldn't agree more, sad thing is I think we're in the minority plenty of mugs more than happy to part with £500 plus for a GPU. Where as I max out at £300.

V F

V F

Soldato
We like to look back rose tinted but forget the increasing costs and inflation.

Hey... I'm only saying. It happened. Heck even high end flagship CPUs were £275 - £375. Only the black box edition CPUs then, XE? Were £650 - £800 back then. Look at even 2020, when an i9 10900K was £550 - £625. Now we've got some motherboards over £1,000. Some as high as £1,600.

Back
Top Bottom