Why are tradesmen so expensive

Caporegime
Do you know the fall for a waste pipe, and the reason behind the very limited fall that be done. Do you know how to get the best pressure and what could cause a drop in pressure? Do you know what will happen when you use certain chemicals, or why copper pipe suddenly springs a leak and ways to prevent this all from happening, do you know how to solder, how much to add and why? I know the answer is no. This is why we train and why plumbers are the most qualified in the building trade and then electricians as you seriously don’t want to screw either of them jobs up.
The answer is yes, I found all of those things out in a 2 minute google or from GCSE physics 20 years ago.

Soldato
We have been doing up our flat for a while now and whenever I have to get someone in to do something I can't do I am absolutely amazed at how much they can charge. You can tell me that being an electrician or plumber is a skilled job as much as you like but its a really simple job. Anyone with half a brain could learn to do it very quickly.

I assume its due to supply and demand because I can't think of that many other jobs that require no real education, limited intelligence and basic training which allow you to earn as much as plumbers, electricians, carpenters etc earn.

How much are you guys paying for these trades on a day rate basis?
Old thread i know, but;

Idiotic post to be honest.

These guys have spent several years being an apprentice, going to college etc to get their qualifications.

Why call them in if you think its so easy?!

Caporegime
Old thread i know, but;

Idiotic post to be honest.

These guys have spent several years being an apprentice, going to college etc to get their qualifications.

Why call them in if you think its so easy?!

Because they have more experience?

Because sometimes it's more cost effective to pay someone else who has the tools etc. than to do it yourself?

Running teams of electricians, mechanics, plumbers and carpenters I can speak from experience to say that the 'several years' apprenticeship is usually made up of day release for about 30 weeks per year (so a months worth) of actual taught learning time at college.
Our second year apprentices are more than competent at the tasks they're assigned. I'd go with at the end of the first year our electrical apprentices and plumbers would have no issues house bashing. Heck, my current electrical apprentices do a better job than the useless gits who wired my current house.
I did a better job than them and I'm not even a trained spark.

Back
Top Bottom