Why can't I put on any more weight? Am I just limited by my genetics?

No I genuinely eat that amount I feel sick after most meals and my breakfast literally takes me half a hour to eat but it has become a lot easier. I had no idea my diet was that bad? I assumed flapjacks were a easy way to get high carbs/calories I didn't think one yoghurt is that bad? Milk seriously? I thought muesli was a good breakfast lol. I use a electric scale that goes up to 1kg I weighted it all a few times dry then I know where to fill the muesli up in my bowl etc by now.

I'll happily takes photos of my meals for the day if people want to see.#

Never really thought of macros just thought of a decent amount of protein with every meal and just a lot of high carb foods as i'm trying to add weight.

Last edited:
Training varies. It used to be a 5 day split of:

Monday: Shoulders
Tuesday: Back
Wednesday: Off (I used to cycle to work on this day 22 mile round trip but don't due to the cold).
Thursday: Chest
Friday: Legs (To rest them over the weekend as I struggle to walk after most sessions).
Saturday: Arms/abs and light sets on a bit of everything
Sunday: Off

After watching some online videos I've decided upon this routine:

3 days on 1 day off, I don't do ALL the exercises below on one day but these are the mains ones I mix it up and spend about 1 - 1h 15 mins in the gym.

Day 1: Shoulders and Back

Middle length wide arm pulls ups as I can literally do only 6 wide arm pulls up and i'm zapped energy wise so I pull my grip in a bit more - do about 3-4 sets of 6-8.

Bent over dumbell rows
Bent over barbell rows
Lat pull downs
Lying T bar rows
Chin ups
Seated cables rows

Variation of these but I make my main big movements as bent over barbell or one arm dumbbell rows.

For Shoulders I do a variation of:
Military press
Military press on the smith
Lateral raises
Front raises? (Dont know what they're called)
Sort of clean jerk type movement but start from waist not floor
Reverse flyes
Upright barbell rows
And other stuff cba to write it all.

Day 2: Chest and arms

Incline/Decline/Flat barbell bench press just mix it up each time.
Incline/Flat dumbell press mix it up
Dips (normally weighted if it's after one exercise but if its towards the end just my own bodyweight).
Flys
Flys on a machine
Some machines with different grips/ways of doing it.

Bicep curls
chin ups
Hammer curls
Preacher curls
Close grip bench press
Diamond push ups
Skull crushers (main movement for triceps)
Dips with body aligned straight
Dip machine

Day 3: Legs and Abs

Legs my main movement is either barbell squat on one day or deadlift on the other my lower back can't take both on one workout.

Leg press 45 degree plate loaded machine
Seated calf raises on a plate loaded machine
Machine for thigh extensions
Machine for hamstring extensions?
Weighted lunges
Calf raises holding dumbells

I hardly hit abs as I just lack the energy after legs but do the usual stuff you all probably do. I have a decent set of abs when my bodyfat is low anyways.

I'm positive my intensity of the workout is enough as I've gone too far at times in the past injuring myself/getting tendinitis etc and have to rest up and I know where the limit is now when I first started I was overdoing it.

Last edited:
I'm impressed at the sheer quantity of difference exercises that duplicate muscle activation patterns there.

Also, whilst you might "have a decent set of abs" this is indicative of your body fat, NLT and not your core strength. As you don't seem t have any core work n your routine, I'm going to take a punt and suggest your core strength isn't great.

Finally, I'm not a bodybuilder, but your exercise selection is bizarre: too many, first off, and whilst there are a few exercises in there that are useful, a lot of it is - frankly - pointless.

For example: BACK...

- dead lifts
- Dumbell rows supersetted with inverted rows;
- wide grip pull-ups supersetted with wide grip lat pull-downs (trust me, this combo will kill you)
- barbell roll outs.

That's a bit simper, isn't it? Fewer exercises means you can crank the weight and really give your muscles the beasting they will love. The other alternative is to look at Steedie's workouts, because they have reduced the strongest on this forum to DoMS-ified gibbering wrecks.

Just take a step back from your routine and stop throwing in EVERY exercise, just concentrating on a few quality movements.

And don't do power cleans because you will probably do them wrong and not get the benefit from the correct movement, and probably hurt yourself. :)

Way too much stuff that doesn't offer great nutrition like flapjacks. Do some research on google to find which foods you should be eating and fill up on them. Also eat some green vegetables. Broccoli, spinach, kale etc.

I'm around 5'11 and 12 stone and I find I only need to hit around 3000 cals a day to grow

I'm impressed at the sheer quantity of difference exercises that duplicate muscle activation patterns there.

Also, whilst you might "have a decent set of abs" this is indicative of your body fat, NLT and not your core strength. As you don't seem t have any core work n your routine, I'm going to take a punt and suggest your core strength isn't great.

Finally, I'm not a bodybuilder, but your exercise selection is bizarre: too many, first off, and whilst there are a few exercises in there that are useful, a lot of it is - frankly - pointless.

For example: BACK...

- dead lifts
- Dumbell rows supersetted with inverted rows;
- wide grip pull-ups supersetted with wide grip lat pull-downs (trust me, this combo will kill you)
- barbell roll outs.

That's a bit simper, isn't it? Fewer exercises means you can crank the weight and really give your muscles the beasting they will love. The other alternative is to look at Steedie's workouts, because they have reduced the strongest on this forum to DoMS-ified gibbering wrecks.

Just take a step back from your routine and stop throwing in EVERY exercise, just concentrating on a few quality movements.

And don't do power cleans because you will probably do them wrong and not get the benefit from the correct movement, and probably hurt yourself. :)
I think as a bodybuilder you might want a few more finishing movements to target different bits, but to not have deadlifts on your back day would be strange. To only squat every other week as well...

OP, less scatter gun training, more actual routine.

Oh, and it's borderline lolsy to say that you're working hard enough because you've gotten injured. All that means is that your technique isn't perfect and you haven't been doing the mobility work that you need to do.

I think as a bodybuilder you might want a few more finishing movements to target different bits, but to not have deadlifts on your back day would be strange. To only squat every other week as well...

Oh, and it's borderline lolsy to say that you're working hard enough because you've gotten injured. All that means is that your technique isn't perfect and you haven't been doing the mobility work that you need to do.

I squat and deadlift weekly. I have a 3 day routine and 1 day off.

And I don't do all them movements on one day I do maybe 4-5 of them but I mix up what I do each workout bar the main compound movements.

Yes, but I think it would be better at this stage to have something consistent that uses a few very good exercises.

Even just putting deadlifts on your back day would help, if you can handle the frequency with your split. If you can't, I suggest not doing the split rather than not deadlifting.

Mmmm... I'm not really a bodybuilder (who knew?) so would miss a lot of the 'required' stuff. So take ice's advice. :)

Yes, but I think it would be better at this stage to have something consistent that uses a few very good exercises.

Even just putting deadlifts on your back day would help, if you can handle the frequency with your split. If you can't, I suggest not doing the split rather than not deadlifting.

I find if I put deadlifts on my back day it'll ruin one of my lifts. If I do deadlifts first it'll kill my grip therefore bent over dumbell rows or pull ups suffer. If I do it last same problem again after the other exercises. It's why I prefer to isolate it with a leg workout as apart from lunges it's the only other movement i'll do using my grip and lunges doesn't tax my grip as much as deadlifts so I can do both.

Back
Top Bottom