Why do American cars rock back when you put handbrake on & why don't they have a normal handbrake?

Did you know the wider the throttle opens, the faster it goes*. The engine will even scream along with you on the ride. :p

*if the thread can be this simple, that statement can be too.

I use the handbrake everywhere, because I don't want the car rolling off if it drops out of park - or if someone shunts it and smashes the parking pawl. Unlikely, but I'd rather do everything I can to prevent an accident or issue.

The footbrake is annoying so rarely used IME.
First few times I drove the wife's Merc, having come from a manual car, I went to use the 'clutch' and nearly applied the parking brake!!
You get used to it, though and pulling the hand lever to release it felt like casting off the docking clamps on a spaceship.... which n that huge great boat of a Merc wasn't so far from the truth!

Makes it fun when switching between a VW and a Ford, you have to reconfigure your brain each time, or you turn the windscreen wipers on when trying to put it in drive... :o
And ^that is why I hate driving the wife's new CR-V - I go to turn on teh lights and wonder why it ain't workin'.... until I realise I'm trying to twiddle the shifter.
Stupid thing also blocks the central air vent in Drive, so my left hand stays freezing cold while the right burns!!

The engine will even scream along with you on the ride. :p
Except in England again, because we change up the gears, because... you know... mechanical sympathy. :p

Back
Top Bottom