Why do I not get 8 Meg

Associate
I know I am going to sound greedy here. I found out the other night that Plusnet put me onto MaxDSL over two weeks ago. They failed to tell me so I wasn't able to follow their recommendations to reboot my router every day to improve the chances of getting a good connection.

My Draytek router connects at:

Down: 8128000
Up: 448000
SNR: 7.0 (sometimes 9.0)
Att: 22.0 (sometimes 18)

Also my exchange is just down the road. We are talking about 500 metres at most.

All the speedtests tell me I get 5.5 Mbps at best. (downloading around 750 KB/s (ish) at most. Never better.

I know that is really good. Me more than most, I had to run my own campaign to get broadband in my area, waiting over 2 years for it and living with 5 KB/s on a modem all that time. So I know I should appreciate that speed.

I just expected living so close to my exchange I would get a full 8 Meg out of it. Why don't I ? and is there anything I can do to improve it ?

Soldato
The maximum is really 7.1mbit due to ATM overheads so you're only 1.6mbit away from the theoretical maximum. Have you tried it in the early hours of the morning?

Associate
OP
NathanE said:
750KB/sec is about the maximum really. The overheads increase exponentially.

To be honest I'm surprised you managed to get that speed on Plusnet...

Well I live in a small town, with only about a 6000 population, and like I said, I live very close to my exchange.

It's slightly more comforting to know that I am getting somewhere near maximum. Why is it advertised as 8 meg then ;)

Soldato
Pinkeyes said:
Why is it advertised as 8 meg then ;)

Exactly. The maximum is 7.15mbit when you take overheads into account so it's impossible to get 8mbit speeds at all. They can just get away with it by saying it's "up to".

Soldato
i used to be on plusnet and used to get 830kb download rates, before i switched to bethere now i get 2.2MB download rates :D:D

your speeds aren't that far off, so let the line settle and if it doesn't get better switch providers or complain, but they will say "the product is only UP TO 8mb"

daven

Associate
OP
LOL - went to close the ticket and thay had just this second replied...

PlusNet Support said:
Due to overheads on the line is is not possible to achieve the full 8mbit. The speed will be a maximum of around 7.1.
Please continue rebooting your equipment and this should ensure that the lines fastest speed is achieved.

Ah well. Thanks for all your replies.

Associate
OP
tolien said:
Baaaaad advice.

Why Tolien ? - hang on I'll quote their technical support help pages...

PN Technical Support Pages said:
Should I expect teething problems when I first get 8Mb?
In the first 14 days following your upgrade, you will see your speeds vary, and commonly may experience disconnections and some instability of your connection. This is perfectly normal and if possible you should be prepared for it.

Tests are carried out during this period to see what speed your line can support. It's important that you frequently make new connections to the Internet during this 14 day period so these tests can take place.

It’s a good idea to disconnect your modem or router when doing this – this will force your equipment to reconnect. The simplest way to do this is to switch your equipment off, and then on again. If you’re using a router, make sure you switch the power to your router off and on again. After 14 days, your speeds will stabilise at the fastest speed your line can support.

Caporegime
It's important that you frequently make new connections to the Internet during this 14 day period so these tests can take place.

It’s a good idea to disconnect your modem or router when doing this – this will force your equipment to reconnect. The simplest way to do this is to switch your equipment off, and then on again. If you’re using a router, make sure you switch the power to your router off and on again. After 14 days, your speeds will stabilise at the fastest speed your line can support.

Utter crap, but that's hardly unexpected from PN. For starters:

• Disconnecting repeatedly and often's a sure fire way to make the DLM think you're having sync issues, and a) turn on interleaving and/or b) turn up your target SNR. Though don't quote me on that, in theory the DLM should know the difference between switching your modem off and losing synch (but given the mess it seems to be in anything's possible).
  • Your speed won't "stabilise" - the rate adaption process will keep going forever more

Last edited:
Soldato
Pinkeyes said:
Well I live in a small town, with only about a 6000 population, and like I said, I live very close to my exchange.

It's slightly more comforting to know that I am getting somewhere near maximum. Why is it advertised as 8 meg then ;)

For a start, it isnt advertised as 8mbit, its advertised as up-to 8mbit...

Associate
OP
axer said:
For a start, it isnt advertised as 8mbit, its advertised as up-to 8mbit...

So if you bought a car off me that I told you goes up-to 100 mph, would you be happy at the fact it only manages 60mph ?

I accept their are overheads, and the conection will only in reality get to 7.1 Mbps, but mine manages only 5.5Mpbs, despite the fact that I live very close to my exchange. Hence my question.

Back
Top Bottom