Why do I not get 8 Meg

Caporegime
Pinkeyes said:
Tolien (resindent OcUK networking guru).

Ugh no.

Pinkeyes said:
So if you bought a car off me that I told you goes up-to 100 mph, would you be happy at the fact it only manages 60mph ?

Poor analogy.
Not great either, but here's a better one: if you were paying a share of the price of a car along with another 49 people, would you expect to be able to drive it more than 1/50 of the time?

I accept their are overheads, and the conection will only in reality get to 7.1 Mbps, but mine manages only 5.5Mpbs, despite the fact that I live very close to my exchange. Hence my question.

Congestion and/or a sticky BRAS cap are two possibilities.
Your distance from the exchange is irrelevant - you're synching at 8Mbps...

Associate
OP
tolien said:
Poor analogy.
Not great either, but here's a better one: if you were paying a share of the price of a car along with another 49 people, would you expect to be able to drive it more than 1/50 of the time?

Ok - I agree with you, what i was trying (badly) to explain to axer, is that although I know its advertised as "up-to" 8 Meg, and due to my connection details shown above, I expected to get somewhere near 8 meg.

tolien said:
Congestion and/or a sticky BRAS cap are two possibilities.
Your distance from the exchange is irrelevant - you're synching at 8Mbps...

You mean in my case it's irrelevant ? - so its congestion or BRAS. Or do you mean distance is irrelevant for everyone, so long as line quality is there ?

Caporegime
Pinkeyes said:
Ok - I agree with you, what i was trying (badly) to explain to axer, is that although I know its advertised as "up-to" 8 Meg, and due to my connection details shown above, I expected to get somewhere near 8 meg.

You should get full rate - at off-peak times.

You mean in my case it's irrelevant ? - so its congestion or BRAS. Or do you mean distance is irrelevant for everyone, so long as line quality is there ?

Both.

Back
Top Bottom