Why do UK cars all come supplied with 'Summer tyres'?

Permabanned
I have been driving in the UK for nearly 50 years and at no time have I driven with 'winter tyres' fitted. This includes some extreme journey conditions on untreated roads.

So have I, but I've been unable to get to work, or back from work many times.

Not sure if even winter tyres would have got my old Granada through 4 foot snow drifts.;)

Soldato

Not sure if even winter tyres would have got my old Granada through 4 foot snow drifts.;)

Looking at your location, that is believable. I did do a lot of travelling to Aberdeen in the late '70's, two weeks on, one week off through a couple of winters. That was driving a 3L Capri Mk1 with some ballast and a shovel in the boot. :eek: Avon 185/70's

Caporegime

That’s what one of these is for...

926-B2-E9-A-AAC6-46-CB-8-B70-9-AAABAC5046-D.jpg

And a Pickup/SUV to fit it to. ;)

Man of Honour
And a Pickup/SUV to fit it to. ;)

I put down a deposit on a used one a few days ago - wasn't my first choice though but available locally at a reasonable price but looks like it will need a bit of work if I keep it longer term :s tires probably have 6 months in them max and the suspension looks like it has had some mistreatment at some point - nothing serious but enough it will probably need keeping an eye on.

Soldato
A guy at work had a big ugly pickup truck, insurers refused to cover it with normal insurance and he had to do it as a commercial vehicle. It was to fat to fit in most car parks and struggled on some rural roads, wasn't even AWD either so not that useful offroad. I don't see the point in them over here tbh.

Soldato
My mum's tiguan came with pirelli scorpion Verde. It's 2wd but they performed well in the snow last winter
We are looking to get some new boots for the wifes 4motion Tiguan soon and this is one tyre I've considered since they are OE.

They do however come in 2 versions, a "regular" verde and a verde all-season. Do you know which ones you have?

Man of Honour
A guy at work had a big ugly pickup truck, insurers refused to cover it with normal insurance and he had to do it as a commercial vehicle. It was to fat to fit in most car parks and struggled on some rural roads, wasn't even AWD either so not that useful offroad. I don't see the point in them over here tbh.

Well I just bought one - no problem with insurance so far fingers crossed - you do have to tax and insure them as a commercial vehicle because they are classed as light commercial vehicles. Has fully selectable 2W, 4W high and low. Won't lie the size is making me a bit edgy when it comes to getting it in and out of the drive but moving to a bigger place soon and it isn't a replacement for a daily driver.

Associate
I love mine, I good compromise I'd say. They're like an 80% good tyre at everything, achieving nothing exceptional but don't nothing bad either. I was surprised how good on fuel they are as well. Also wearing really well, even on the front of a heavy diesel.

Agree,.. the Michelin cross climate+ are a decent all year round tyre for the UK. They were fantastic on my RWD 3 series in the heavy snow we had last year and I've found them at to be at least as good as the continental RFT's they replaced in the warm dry weather and the wet.
The other benefit is that tests show they keep their performance better than most tyres do as the tread gets lower, I.e if you did a tyre test at around 4mm of tread left they might out perform some tyres that performed better at 8mm of tread.

Soldato
They are quite soft, no where near as good for performance as e.g. PS4s or Eagle F1s. But they aren't really meant to be, they are a compromise on all fronts.

Your always better off with two sets if you can.

Back
Top Bottom