Why doesn't this work? :(

Soldato
Now I'm no expert on memory and timings and such, but generally I tend to know what goes in what :)

So I got some Corsair 2x4GB 1600mhz DDR3 9.9.9.24 1.65v memory.

And my mobo is the Gigabyte H55M-S2

Ok, so far, is there anything wrong with that combination?

So, on Auto, my mobo sets the voltage at 1.5v and the memory runs at 1333mhz. Not stable.

I tried EVERY voltage setting between 1.5v and 1.66v, I turned on the mobo's extreme profile to get it running at 1600mhz, I swapped the sticks around, NOTHING was stable.
I got BSOD's, I sometimes made it into windows for like 1 minute before the screen corrupted, all kinds of instabilities were taking place.

So my dear fellows.
What do you think?

1) The memory/mobo combo is incompatible ?
2) The memory is faulty ?

Is it even worth trying 1 stick at a time and stuff?

Advice plz !! :)

Caporegime
first make sure your using latest mb bios,second look in the bios for x.m.p which will setup the ram for you to 1600mhz speed and rated voltages

if it doesnt support x.m.p manually setup the ram speed by setting the spd system memory multi to 8x or 10x to give you 1600mhz,then select manual timings/quick and type in from top of the list

then set dram voltage to 1.66v,it should work fine then,if it doesnt try manually setting qpi/vtt voltage to 1.25v-1.3v

Soldato
OP
Hmmm..... I do recall seeing something like X.M.P in the BIOS last night, but since I already got the memory to say it was running at 1600mhz and had it at 1.66v will the X.M.P option really do anything different ?

I guess there's no harm in triyng anyway. I can also do the qpi/vtt thing too !! Cheers

Soldato
OP
Sorry dudes.
Still massively unstable. :(

Which takes me back to one of my original thoughts.
You seem to think it should work, so does that mean maybe one or both of the sticks could be faulty?

Also, while I have the thought in my head, my i3 CPU is Ok with this memory yeah?

Soldato
OP
I did absolutely everything described above and didn't even make it into windows before I was repeatedly shown the memory dump blue screen.

I'll take the sticks into work on Monday and get the IT dudes to check and see if they're faulty.

Back
Top Bottom