Why don't ex-Manchester United players make successful managers?

Soldato
Ok, please explain the "success" enjoyed by messers Bryan Robson (Middlesbrough, Bradford City, WBA, Sheff Utd and Thailand) and Steve Bruce (Sheff Utd, Huddersfield Town, Wigan Ath, C Palace, Birmingham City, Wigan and Sunderland) as I'm very intrigued.

Bryan Robson won Division One with Boro and got them promoted. Also built a team stable enough for Premiership survival.

That is a success. A success doesn't need to be back to back Champions League and Premiership titles. Some clubs have lower realistic achievements and to gain those achievements is a success.

And lol at the guy calling me a troll. Thankfully that post has disappeared...

Associate
OP
Bryan Robson won Division One with Boro and got them promoted. Also built a team stable enough for Premiership survival.

That is a success. A success doesn't need to be back to back Champions League and Premiership titles. Some clubs have lower realistic achievements and to gain those achievements is a success.

And lol at the guy calling me a troll. Thankfully that post has disappeared...

Hmm.....yes Robson took Middlesbrough up from Division One but despite spending huge amounts on the likes of Ravanelli, Juninho, Emerson, Nick Barmby etc...couldn't better 9th in the top flight and eventually was relieved of his duties in the midst of another relegation struggle. He lost almost as many games in charge of the club and considering the budget he was given by Steve Gibson, I wouldn't consider him a success at all.

I suppose it's a bit better than his "successful" time at Bradford City or WBA.

Associate
OP
Haha is this thread still going on, seems like Sandy is just venting at losing Young to a better club. You're obsessed with Man Utd. I guess not every club is as lucky to have past players who go on to achieve as much success as the likes of Paul Merson, Gareth Southgate, Dean Saunders and Steve Staunton in management.

And David Platt? lol Never even played a senior game for Man Utd, left at 18. Troll.

Not at all, prior to his departure I've commented that I will be pleased when Young left - he was electric in his first two full seasons for us but he subsequently became obnoxious, self centered and self obsessed thus I'm delighted he's gone to a club to match his personality.

Soldato
To the OP - depends what you class as successful, nearly all those managers have been successful to some degree.

Here is a question for you, say if Alex Ferguson had been at Sunderland or Aston Villa 25 years, do any of you really think he would have had anywhere near as much success as he has at Man Utd?

Associate
OP
To the OP - depends what you class as successful, nearly all those managers have been successful to some degree.

Here is a question for you, say if Alex Ferguson had been at Sunderland or Aston Villa 25 years, do any of you really think he would have had anywhere near as much success as he has at Man Utd?

Completely impossible to say.

It's like saying if Cristiano Ronaldo had joined Liverpool instead of Manchester United when he did, would he of been a success?.

It's completely objective, as per the original posting.

Man of Honour
Completely impossible to say.

It's like saying if Cristiano Ronaldo had joined Liverpool instead of Manchester United when he did, would he of been a success?.

It's completely objective, as per the original posting.

Surely you mean subjective? As it seems that lots of people have some debate about what constitutes successful, if it were objective then there wouldn't be anywhere near the same level of disagreement.

It may not be possible to say if Sir Alex would have had quite the same level of success but I don't think it is a stretch to say that it would be unlikely as a club like Sunderland would struggle to build up the same fanbase or have recourse to the same level of history.

Associate
Well reading the OP he's a Villa supporter glad Young has gone and pleased Villa are still sitting at the bottom end of the table.

Associate
OP
Well reading the OP he's a Villa supporter glad Young has gone and pleased Villa are still sitting at the bottom end of the table.

**a proud Villa fan, delighted Ashley Young left as and when he did, of course unhappy that we are struggling, but that's the way the club is at the moment.

Thanks for the interest and concerns, very much appreciated.

From your name, can I assume you're a big fan of Joey Essex?

Man of Honour
Ok, please explain the "success" enjoyed by messers Bryan Robson (Middlesbrough, Bradford City, WBA, Sheff Utd and Thailand) and Steve Bruce (Sheff Utd, Huddersfield Town, Wigan Ath, C Palace, Birmingham City, Wigan and Sunderland) as I'm very intrigued.

Both have managed teams in the top division in the strongest league in the world.

I'd call that a success, given how few jobs there are.

It's pretty much a leading (and rhetorical) question - similarly "so when did you stop beating your wife?". Of course other managers apart from Sir Alex have been successful but none in the EPL have been there as long or had such consistent success. Should we call them poor because of that? No and equally a number of the managers you named originally have been fairly successful but not to the same level as Sir Alex - that doesn't make them poor by any stretch, if it's anything it's evidence of how good he is.

You also need to take into account the fact that he was lucky to not be sacked. There's a fair possibility that given the chance those being named in this thread would have gone on to be more successful than they were given longer in each position.

Associate
OP
Both have managed teams in the top division in the strongest league in the world.

I'd call that a success, given how few jobs there are.

You also need to take into account the fact that he was lucky to not be sacked. There's a fair possibility that given the chance those being named in this thread would have gone on to be more successful than they were given longer in each position.

I actually wouldn't agree - they've obtained the Premier League positions primarily on the basis of who they are, not through achieving success.

To that end you're calling the likes of Christian Gross, Roy Keane, Tony Adams, Avram Grant, Stuart Gray and Iain Dowie "sucessful" Premier League Managers, which clearly is factually incorrect.

Soldato
Bryan Robson brought together Juninho, Emerson and Ravenelli and built a Boro side which played some absolutely brilliant football. That was a special side, despite being relegated. He gets my praise for that alone.

Most of all he (and Steve Gibson) took a club with very little resource and built them into a premiership side for years. That is an achievement when you consider the club.

Associate
OP
Bryan Robson brought together Juninho, Emerson and Ravenelli and built a Boro side which played some absolutely brilliant football. That was a special side, despite being relegated. He gets my praise for that alone.

Most of all he (and Steve Gibson) took a club with very little resource and built them into a premiership side for years. That is an achievement when you consider the club.

I think Mr Gibson had a very considerable resource when you consider the money the club spent on players and wages - I recollect Alen Boksic being on £60k a week when that was an alarming amount of money.

Caporegime
I don't think you can single out only Manchester United players, players from all throughout the leagues think they can just walk into a management role and succeed but few are given the chance at a club unless they have pedigree as a player. Manchester United players are just more easily able to get a job as a manager because chairmen seem to think that good player = good manager, or are just more willing to take a gamble because of the publicity they will bring.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom