• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why don't you guys just....wait a bit?

Associate
Yeah the 20GB cards are lined up to take even more money from people for an upgrade that will make zero performance difference for people running 4K or lower.

Associate
Not that I am in any position to upgrade at the moment, but hell looking ahead to the next generation of cards after this, they will have to be pretty impressive to top this lot.
I would definitely wait to see what AMD can do before buying anything at the moment

Associate
Major retailers will probably get something in place to stop their websites completing imploding. Demand may be even greater with it being a cheaper card if it really does offer 2080ti level performance.

Yea, I was thinking that there is something for retailers to take away from RTX 3080 launch day that should better prepare them for RTX 3070 launch. I’ve got my eyes on the 3070 so I’m hoping I won’t have as much uphill as the 3080 buyers did.

Associate
That's not really a good reason though because if you had waiting that long another month or so would not matter.
I’ve even waiting to upgrade since June.

“Wait for the new Nvidia cards, it’s not long now...”
“Ryzen 4000 is not far away, wait a bit longer...”

And if I wait another month:

“3080ti may be coming soon, suggest you hold out a bit!”

Yawn.

Associate
I’ve even waiting to upgrade since June.

“Wait for the new Nvidia cards, it’s not long now...”
“Ryzen 4000 is not far away, wait a bit longer...”

And if I wait another month:

“3080ti may be coming soon, suggest you hold out a bit!”

Yawn.

That explanation would make sense if it was half way through a card cycle or the opposition had nothing to show / soon to be released.

You just wanted something big powerful, shiny and new didn't you, go on, admit it .... :D

Associate
G Sync users can't switch to AMD.

RTX 20 series is absolutely crap performance in ray traced games.

3080 is amazing performance per dollar.

Witcher 3 ray traced is coming soon and Cyberpunk. I'd like to be able to play them maxed out.

Associate
That explanation would make sense if it was half way through a card cycle or the opposition had nothing to show / soon to be released.

You just wanted something big powerful, shiny and new didn't you, go on, admit it .... :D
Big, powerful, shiny and new... yes please, sounds good. MSFS2020 runs like dogsh*t on my old GPU, so I’d like it sooner rather than later. :)

Man of Honour
Oh my goodness.
Why don't you guys just wait?

1 In a month or two prices would have stabilized.
2 The brand of card you want will more likely be in stock.
3 20GB 3080's might be announced.
4 AMD will reveal Big Navi.
5 More reviews will be out on all the AIB cards. EG The Asus TUF is so fatr the best cooler out of all the ones tested.

Just relax guys.

I think you're posting in the wrong place if you expect a forum full of enthusiasts to relax when a new product has been released at extortionate prices with limited supply aimed exactly at them.

Associate
It's a little odd, there are no new AAA games out driving sales and older games don't need more performance than a 2080/1080Ti, many have been waiting over 2 years so you would think a few more months would be easy, right?

Meh, whatever.

Associate
I think the 2080 cards were terrible value for the price. I can understand getting one if really needed at the time but i would be kicking myself if i had swapped out my 1080ti for one in a fit of upgraditis ! I think picking up a 2080ti might be worth it for £500-£600 now as the 3080 cards are going to be going for £800-£900 i bet by the time they become available.

Man of Honour
It's a little odd, there are no new AAA games out driving sales and older games don't need more performance than a 2080/1080Ti, many have been waiting over 2 years so you would think a few more months would be easy, right?

Meh, whatever.

Cyberpunk may need it even at 1440p. That’s probably it. Even then it’s probably for ray tracing (I can’t tell the difference) and a few settings from high to ultra (again, usually little difference. Each to their own though. My 1080Ti was a great purchase, still going strong - it was easy to get hold of too after the initial rush.

Associate
The fuss is not warranted a 2080 will still max every pc game going np for years to come it's just the new shiny bug
The main reason people are buying these cards are for high refresh 1440p and 4k gaming. The 3080 can hit a constant 60fps+ in most 4k games at max settings, whereas the 2080 cannot, the 2080 ti cannot. That's why this is a warranted upgrade.

Soldato
G Sync users can't switch to AMD.
Of course they can, don't be absurd. Does a G Sync purchase come with an exclusivity contract stating you can't ever replace the monitor and get a different one? No. And what if AMD pull a diamond and RX 6000 batters Ampere all over the place? Are G Sync users going to purchase inferior products just because of a monitor? No, they'll sell it and get something else.

Associate
Of course they can, don't be absurd. Does a G Sync purchase come with an exclusivity contract stating you can't ever replace the monitor and get a different one? No. And what if AMD pull a diamond and RX 6000 batters Ampere all over the place? Are G Sync users going to purchase inferior products just because of a monitor? No, they'll sell it and get something else.

G Sync is still better than Free Sync, I really haven't seen anyone willing to switch to AMD if it means losing G Sync.

From a technical viewpoint, I really doubt that its going to be possible for AMD to 'batter Ampere all over the place'. At best they are playing a game of catching up, and will be lucky to even get on par. The tech and specification on these cards are second to none.

Associate

This also turns an already expensive purchase into a ridiculously expensive purchase, unless 2nd hand monitors hold their value well?

Associate
Cyberpunk may need it even at 1440p. That’s probably it. Even then it’s probably for ray tracing (I can’t tell the difference) and a few settings from high to ultra (again, usually little difference. Each to their own though. My 1080Ti was a great purchase, still going strong - it was easy to get hold of too after the initial rush.

That's two month away, releasing 19th November. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom