Why have and iMac when you can........

Soldato
No I'm not running down the iMac here I've never owned one just a bit of curiosity for myself really. If you get a decent Macbook Pro 15+ say as they have the better GPUs it appears looking at specs they could out perform the iMac. You have portability with the Macbook Pro which is it's selling point if your own the go a lot. As you all know connect a mini display port, keyboard and a mouse and you also have something that can be used like a desktop if you want to use a larger screen.

I maybe be not taking something in to consideration but doesn't this make owning a iMac pointless when the Macbook Pros can out perform the iMac and can either be use Mobile or has a desktop?

Just picked up the nice Apple Keyboard With Numeric Keypad. I think I'll prefer that to that crappy wireless half a keyboard. As not not only is it a traditional keyboard it's also has a USB hub which I can bet will come in real handy.

Soldato
People don't always feel the need for a laptop & the mobility, yes both MBP & iMac's are powerful machines* but the iMac has the AIO factor which appeals to a lot of people (wire freaks for one).

*Essentially the iMac & MBP are the same 'laptop tech' just added into a desktop design with screen.

Associate
No I'm not running down the iMac here I've never owned one just a bit of curiosity for myself really. If you get a decent Macbook Pro 15+ say as they have the better GPUs it appears looking at specs they could out perform the iMac. You have portability with the Macbook Pro which is it's selling point if your own the go a lot. As you all know connect a mini display port, keyboard and a mouse and you also have something that can be used like a desktop if you want to use a larger screen.

I maybe be not taking something in to consideration but doesn't this make owning a iMac pointless when the Macbook Pros can out perform the iMac and can either be use Mobile or has a desktop?

Just picked up the nice Apple Keyboard With Numeric Keypad. I think I'll prefer that to that crappy wireless half a keyboard. As not not only is it a traditional keyboard it's also has a USB hub which I can bet will come in real handy.

Point me in the direction of the macbook pro that can out perform the iMac:confused:

Permabanned
I suppose the full size keyboard is great if you need a number pad. Most people don't. So the crappy half a keyboard suffices in functionality.

But then I'm picky about my keyboards and neither the full size Apple or wireless Apple keyboard tickle my jimnys.

In regards to the hardware. With the refresh of the iMacs, the iMacs are better spec'd. Although I'd be interested to see benchmarks between the mobile and desktop CPUs used in the MBP and iMac ranges. And for "mobile" I don't really consider 15" "portable". I have a 13" MBP and that's about as large as I like my laptops. I'm with Linus Torvalds when he said that netbooks were laptops done right. 11" and a high resolution is a million times better than lugging a 15 - 17 inch behemoth around. Even 13" is a PITA to lug about all day.

DW: The release of the Eee PC has introduced Linux to an even wider range of everyday consumers. What are your thoughts on Linux running in this consumer space and do you think it will help Linux gain more traction on the desktop? Do you own a netbook?

LT: I actually took an Eee PC with me to Tasmania for LCA, not because it's a 'consumer device', but because I've actually long been in the camp of people who think that laptops should be small and light and not to be used as desktop replacements. So I think that netbooks are really just 'laptops done right'.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090202#feature

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

People don't always feel the need for a laptop & the mobility, yes both MBP & iMac's are powerful machines* but the iMac has the AIO factor which appeals to a lot of people (wire freaks for one).

*Essentially the iMac & MBP are the same 'laptop tech' just added into a desktop design with screen.

I thought the iMac moved away from the laptop chips, and went with the desktop CPUs.

Permabanned
They will be desktop CPUs with Sandybridge as the SB i5 mobiles are all dual core. And the iMacs all sport quad cores.

I posted in the other thread, going by the specs, they're using from cheapest to most expensive, i5-2400s, i5-2500s (upgradeable to i7-2600s), i5-2500s, i5-2400 (upgradeable to i7-2600)

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I agree to an extent, I have a 13" mbp and an 27" apple cinema display that I usually use for my windows pc but more often than not since getting my macbook I hook it up
and enjoy the silence! It charges it too which is nice.

Permabanned
My iMac is quiet as well. Though not as quiet as my MBP. But certainly more quiet than my Windows box.

That said, anyone ever had there system fans go berserk on their iMac or MBP??? I had a dream the other night that I was being chased by a lawn mower and when I woke up my system fans on the iMac where running at full whack. So I groggily jumped out of bed and shut down the system to do an SMC reset. But that took ages because of automatically backing up to TimeCapsule. So I had to lie there for five minutes while my fans whirred waiting for it to shut down. Annoying.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Never had that.

Worst experience I had was the beep of doom when doing a firmware update. Plodding along, doing something, clicked update.. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPP.. sharted.

Soldato
OP
Point me in the direction of the macbook pro that can out perform the iMac:confused:

macworld

iMacs

What’s more interesting was how well the new MacBook Pros compare performance-wise to the iMacs. The new 2.0GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro beat out the entry-level 3.06GHz dual core Core i3 iMac by one Speedmark point, with Call of Duty and disk-intensive tasks running faster on the iMac and processor-intensive tasks running faster on the MacBook Pro. The 15- and 17-inch 2.2GHz MacBook Pros were about 7 percent faster overall than the high-end standard configuration iMac, a 27-inch model with a 2.8GHz quad-core Core i5 processor. The three Macs scored identically in our Aperture import test, as well as our Photoshop and iMovie export tests. Call of Duty was 9 percent faster on the iMac.

Soldato
the iMac has the AIO factor which appeals to a lot of people (wire freaks for one).

20110409-11keetpyur79k15jgai19jan7i.jpg

:cool:

Soldato
why buy a macbook if its just staying in your house ? for a 1920x1080 res on the macbooks you need to pay a premium where afaik it comes standard on the imacs

the screen res on the base macbook is downright depressing imo

Permabanned

They're comparing Sandybridge refreshed MacBook Pros with older Clarkdale and Lynnfield iMacs... shock horror Sandybridge processors outperform Clarkdales and Lynnfields! Who'd a thunk it.

Now if they were comparing the newly refreshed iMac with the current line of MBPs, things would be much different.

Last edited:
Associate
They're comparing Sandybridge refreshed MacBook Pros with older Clarkdale and Lynnfield iMacs... shock horror Sandybridge processors outperform Clarkdales and Lynnfields! Who'd a thunk it.

Now if they were comparing the newly refreshed iMac with the current line of MBPs, things would be much different.

Im pretty sure they dont.

Permabanned
I've tried working using laptops as desktop machines (with monitors/keyboards/etc) but it just doesn't feel right. I like to have my laptop when I need it and my desktop when I want to sit at my desk.

I also think the iMacs are a fair bit more powerful than MBP's and the screens alone are worth hundreds so it's not as simple as saying buy a MBP and a cheap 24" screen because they quality isn't the same.

Back
Top Bottom