1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why haven't GPUs gone triple-slot?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Quartz, May 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Quartz

Soldato

The only argument against quad slot coolers is that there's no room for them on many mATX systems. Triple+ slot system rule out ITX, of course.

2. Quartz

Soldato

I disagree. Even at the high end, most people just want to plug and play. And AIO fluid coolers have the issues of pumps breaking, fluid leaking, fluid evaporating, and so on. With air coolers, if a fan breaks, it can be easily replaced.

3. varkanoid

Sgarrista

Easily replaced but not easily with an original fan. I understand your opinion even though I dont find it practical and you seem to be forgetting airflow too but you will be forever disappointed as its not me you have to convince.

4. Radox-0

Wise Guy

Loved my R9 Nano for this reason when I put it under a block in my HTPC. Looked great being single slot.

5. Quartz

Soldato

Huh?

Airflow is an entirely separate issue. One which AIO coolers win big time.

6. varkanoid

Sgarrista

- if a fan breaks on a GPU cooler how do you replace it with a matching fan ? Its not easy or cheap unless you go fugly and strap one on.
    - Bigger GPU coolers take up more space which means less space for airflow in and around the bigger cooler hence defeating the object and reducing the effect of the said bigger cooler. Full size ATX case fine but in smaller cases where the QUAD cooler could come up against the PSU there is less airflow. Hence airflow makes a difference.

7. dazzerd

Wise Guy

Yep the issues aren't the block the issues are the brackets and display sockets on the end. You could always get thin blocks the problem is most card have dp and hdmi sockets which are stacked which means you have a lost a slot regardless of the physical space it takes in the case.

8. Quartz

Soldato

Why bother? Just get a new identical one and fit it. They are mass-produced fans, you know. If you disassemble your GPU you should find the label on the fan.

9. LePhuronn

Mobster

Except EVGA have started doing crazy logo molding on the blades and Asus use bespoke fans on their top models (I think).

10. Quartz

Soldato

So what? I'm sure they'll be glad to sell you replacements or provide them under their warranty.

11. zophiel

Wise Guy

can you imagine the sag on a big 3/4 slot cooler more than they do already.

12. LePhuronn

Mobster

That's the entire card going back then for as long as the warranty exists, but then...

Nope.

13. Quartz

Soldato

Mount the GPU vertically.

14. V F

Capodecina

Remember 9 years ago? I always wanted that card.