• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why is Conroe so great?

Soldato
Speccing a system up and have priced a few different systems, havent priced a conroe though, whats so great about them? Coming from someone who was into the cpu scene 4 years ago when there where a handfull to choose from, now there are silly amounts. Could some provide a bulleted list of amd and pentium cpu's from best to worst from the current line up as they all just confuse me.

Associate
The Conroe is so great because:

Its cheap and very powerful... oh and its cheap.

An E6400 that retails here for around £150 will give you the performance of an FX62 that retails at around £580. That is what is so good about the Conroe!!!

Soldato
and its still no faster than AMD at high resolutions due to graphics bottlenecking, same is it you had FX62 with 6600GT and i had 3200+ with same graphics card, as soon as it becomes a bottleneck there is utterly no performance increase at all, plus only idiots IMO buy FX processors, another thing to brag about i guess, i bought 3200+ and clocked past FX58 and cost sixth the money

Soldato
Gashman said:
and its still no faster than AMD at high resolutions due to graphics bottlenecking, same is it you had FX62 with 6600GT and i had 3200+ with same graphics card, as soon as it becomes a bottleneck there is utterly no performance increase at all, plus only idiots IMO buy FX processors, another thing to brag about i guess, i bought 3200+ and clocked past FX58 and cost sixth the money

Thise FX58's are beasts :D

Caporegime
schnipps said:
Speccing a system up and have priced a few different systems, havent priced a conroe though, whats so great about them? Coming from someone who was into the cpu scene 4 years ago when there where a handfull to choose from, now there are silly amounts. Could some provide a bulleted list of amd and pentium cpu's from best to worst from the current line up as they all just confuse me.

google the answers and stop being lazy lol

Man of Honour
schnipps said:
Your best bet would be to look at comparaitive reviews online. There are dozens of CPUs available, if you include discontinued products that are still on sale (new or second-hand) and different clock speeds. Since different CPUs have different relative performance with different software, what you ask is impossible anyway.

Pentium has been discontinued, BTW.

Core 2 is significantly more powerful, uses less power and thus generates less heat and usually has a higher margin for overclocking than any other PC CPU at a comparable price. Intel has finally out-Athloned AMD.

If you're buying a complete new PC and you're not looking for a really cheap PC, Core 2 is the way to go. Core 2 starts at midrange, price-wise, with the bottom-end 6300 model selling for about £150.

Associate
Gashman said:

Well you should have bought a Conroe and beaten FX-62 speeds for 1/5 of the price :p.

It's not being an idiot buying an FX, it's called having money... Sure they don't offer the best bang for buck but if I had the money (well, not now with Conroe) I would have bought one... And tbh, if you have the money to get an FX-62 you would probably have something like SLI 7950 GTX's or w/e.

Plus you can still sell an FX-60 for £400 then with the money you sold you could buy Conroe which eases the upgrade greatly and worked out your getting a much better system for only £100 more maybe less.

So basically what your telling me is I shouldn't buy a chip worth £230 because it beats a chip (or is on par in your case) worth £750...
Intresting theory that...

Associate
The Conroe is great because:-
the name sounds cool
it wipes AMD which means they will have to bring forward their new chips to compete
it's a good excuse for an upgrade (some people need one)

Man of Honour
Gashman said:

:rolleyes:

How is this really relevant to the CPU? You're basically saying "well if you have a weak link in your system you won't see the benefits", well duh, hasn't that been the case all along...

It's like saying "If you only fit 128meg of ram you won't see the difference in windows" or other similar daftness. It's simply clutching at straws to try and use this to attack the CPU...

Caporegime
I don't understand why people are saying that at high rezzes you see no performance increases... does the extra power of the Conroe not count for anything towards AI etc even at 1600*1200? Surely a 3200+ wouldn't be able to do it at the same pace if the screen got busy would it, or is a large amount of the processing power wasted?

Back
Top Bottom