Why is finding a lighting kit for video calls so hard?

Soldato
I've been looking for a lighting kit for a few days now, and I can't find anything that meets my criteria.

• Tripod
  • Adjustable light output
  • Adjustable colour temp
  • Diffused

The "VIJIM 2 Packs Video Conference Lighting Kit" comes the closest, but it's quite pricey, and the USB cable is on the top, which is a bit unsightly. Also cable length doesn't look great.

Neewer do a 2 pack conference kit on a scissor stand, which is almost perfect other than the fact it isn't diffused. They do another one on tripods, but no colour temperature control.

Has anyone come across something? The Elgato stuff looks good but it's mega pricey, £240 for 2 lights... :(

Soldato
Your best best would be to pick up these items as separate, lighting needs can vary vastly and as such a kit doesn't always contain what one needs and you could also end up spending more than you have to.

I too did look for a kit but found them difficult to come by or overly expensive for my needs and am now seeking them as individual products.

What are you using as equipment at the moment?

I am finding a £20 LED desk lamp with controllable light levels and colour temperatures is, in most circumstances more than enough for Teams Meetings.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Your best best would be to pick up these items as separate, lighting needs can vary vastly and as such a kit doesn't always contain what one needs and you could also end up spending more than you have to.

I too did look for a kit but found them difficult to come by or overly expensive for my needs and am now seeking them as individual products.

What are you using as equipment at the moment?

I am finding a £20 LED desk lamp with controllable light levels and colour temperatures is, in most circumstances more than enough for Teams Meetings.

Not currently using any form of lighting, just a webcam and a microphone, and often finding a purple hue due to colour temperature inconsistencies/lack of light

When you say overly expensive, I found that sourcing these components individually to be more costly - e.g. light panel x2 >£100, tripods about £30

Associate
I agree with others, get cheap LED lights on a mini tripod and tape a sheet of paper over it if you need to.

I’ve done that and look miles better on Zoom for sure... I haven’t had to touch the filters yet :p

Soldato
OP
I ended up with the Elgato Key Light air. It’s phenomenal - bright enough to combat the sunlight that comes through my window and reflects off the white walls behind me.

Really happy with it, as pricey as it is

Back
Top Bottom