Why is my PC performing so badly, when I've spent so much money on it?

Associate
Firstly, here's my specs
http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/8531045

I have 2x Acer Predator XB271UH 165Hz G-Sync Monitors.

This is a newly built rig, all parts were bought within the last 2 weeks (around £2,500 including monitors and all peripherals). However since I've built it it has been the worst piece of garbage I've ever spent money on so far, I'm really angry, upset and shocked by this experience.

So, what are my problems?

• I get stutter in every app that uses Hardware Acceleration, whether that's Spotify app, Discord app, Firefox, Chrome etc etc, scrolling looks like I'm getting 20FPS or something, its like a slide show, also looks like the page is tearing whilst scrolling. It also does the same when scrolling on the start menu, settings, etc.
  • Games are just as bad as above, frames are about right, but even a drop from 140 to 139 causes the biggest judder/stutter.
I just don't know what to do next, short of sending everything back for a full refund, as it's clearly not working as it should.

What have I tried?

1. I've reinstalled numerous versions of Windows 10 from 1607 right the way to 1803 (I'm currently on 1803 as they all performed the same)
  2. I've tried using onboard graphics, however I can only obtain a max of 60hz because my monitors only allow 60hz under HDMI and my mobo doesn't have a DP - This test is pointless.
  3. Installed nvidia drivers ranging from 388.00 all the way to 397.55
  4. Ran numerous benchmarking tests (such as the one above) and they all come back as "working normally" or within the range that they should be.
  5. Tried putting "prefer max performance" in nvidia control panel and also "High Performance" in windows Power settings
  6. Tried disabling all C-States in bios
  7. Tried turning HPET off in Bios AND Windows
  8. Updates Bios + all chipset drivers
  9. Tried using debug mode in NVCP
  10. Re-seated GPU and RAM
  11. Reset bios to factory settings numerous times
  12. Ran MEMTEST which came back with no errors
  13. Turned hardware acceleration off on apps that use it, but scrolling becomes far far worse
After all of the above I still cannot get this resolved, do I have a faulty piece of hardware? Did I buy an incompatible piece of hardware? I really need to get this fixed. I'm practically begging for help here!

Thanks in advanced for any replies that come, I appreciate any single bit of help regarding getting this issue solved!

Associate
OP
You've a cocktail of things that can cause poor performance and stutter with hardware acceleration:

One of the recent updates to Spotify has done some strange things to hardware acceleration and some of the recent nVidia drivers + Firefox in combination have some issues as well - Spotify with Firefox and recent nVidia drivers all with hardware acceleration enabled = LOL for a good number of setups :(

Multimonitor especially with G-Sync in the mix can cause stutter (try with only one monitor) - playing with the multi-display/mixed-gpu acceleration settings in the nVidia control panel and using another setting other than optimal power management in the nVidia control panel can help there.

Thanks for the reply. Its not just spotify/firefox that I get such problems, I pretty much get the bad scrolling/stutter in every app on my PC.

I've just unplugged my 2nd monitor to check performance, but before I did that I looked in nvidia control panel at the multi-display settings but couldn't find such an option? Did I miss something?

Associate
OP
In nVidia Control Panel under Manage 3D Settings there should be an option about half way down the list for "Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration" you will have to try all 3 settings though as depending on what is causing the issue it might not be as simple as just enabling one of them.

(Single display performance mode option is relevant to multi-monitor - in multi-monitor it means that the primary display will be the priority for performance while the secondary display will only update if it won't affect the primary one).

Yeah, I definitely don't have that option.

https://imgur.com/a/0V1bOsf

I also get the weird scrolling/stuttering with my 2nd display disconnected.

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
Covering the basics here, what video cable are you using? HDMI is terrible on my X34 gsync monitor (gsync only works over DP, I use it as a stop-gap for switching between onboard graphics and the 1080Ti's).

Using both the DisplayPort cables that came in the boxes to my XB271UH Monitors.

Associate
OP
Oh random thought and probably not it but just in case if you have Samsung Magician running try completely stopping the UI for it - it used to have some bugs with the way it used DirectX that would cause issues with hardware acceleration and some games.

TBH though sounds like you are one of the people like in that reddit thread I linked to affected by the mess that seems to be Windows 10 + more recent nVidia drivers though :( another reason I stuck with Windows 7 on my gaming PC.

8700K doesn't work in W7 though?

Associate
OP
Can you post a screenshot of the different tabs from CPU-Z

And what are you currently monitoring temps with?

Got all your power connectors plugged in correctly? E.G GFX has PCIE Power connectors - mobo has 8pin EPS and 24 Pin ATX connected?

Got your graphics card in correct PCIE slot?

https://imgur.com/a/PEbdIsi

Scaling on CPUz is pretty bad at 1440p lol.

Hwmonitor/hwinfo and coretemp, they all state the same. Yes all power connectors are plugged in correctly.

72 is a bit high so is 60 for that matter.

60c is too hot at full load on a 8700K?

These are full load temps.

is that at idle ?

Full load.

Is xmp profile enabled for RAM ? Needs to be done in Mobo BIOS. Default is disabled just set it to XMP profile 1

Yes, profile 1 XMP is enabled, 2666MHZ

Associate
OP
I've found the problem I believe, but I can't fix it.

Frametimes in games is unreal. Here's some frametimes in Conan Exiles.

unknown.png

Associate
OP
That jump in pagefile usage would indicate a lack of ram - so definitely check the ram usage (both main-board and GPU). With a spike like that and corresponding dip in frame rates I suspect the ram on the GPU may be faulty.

This may be relevant. Its funny you mention that, when I try to OC the memory on Afterburner, as soon as I click apply I get a split second of artifacting, even underclocking memory gives the same result, overclocking the core clock on GPU doesn't give artifacts. Did a memtest on my onboard RAM and that returned no issues.

Would you say its definitely VRAM based on this?

Associate
OP
Although you've dismissed this as pointless, was Windows still stuttery when running from the onboard graphics at 60hz?

Unless Afterburner is reading it incorrectly, your page file usage seems insane at a minimum of 7GB used and max of 15GB. It's possible that a driver or similar is causing a memory leak. What's your page file actually set to?

Page file is set to windows automatically set, around 3GB I believe.

Back
Top Bottom