Why is Steam still such a steaming pile of leper excement?

Associate
It's what 5 years old now? How can they still not have made it half decent? "Steam is already running. You may only run one copy of steam at any one time" No it isn't, and besides, I barely want to run one copy, let alone two! "Unable to connect" --> Retry --> "Exiting" :rolleyes: Grrr!!! And wtf is the point in having a "cancel" button on the "exiting" popup? it would never actually cancel it exiting. "Unable to connect" --> Start in offline mode --> "Connecting steam account xxxxx ..." --> "This operation cannot be completed in offline mode" Wtf? Was it programmed by blind monkeys?

Associate
OP
Sounds like a flaming troll to me. I would say more people on here like it than hate it. Sounds like user error to me ;)

I actually shocked that people like it! It was rubbish when I first got it when HL2 was out, it was rubbish on my next pc years later, it's just as bad on my current one, and my borther has the same sort of issues. I thought everyone would be in the same boat!!!

Could not be more right, Steam just adds an extra level of pain to installing games. I got the new FM and foolishly decided that adding it to Steam might make things easier, nope it just added 2 1/2 hours to the install process. Even now sometimes I can't play my damn game because Steam has to update or crashes, such a pain.

tefal said:
you've either hammered the start up icon because your pc is slow at initializing it and believe there is only one version running.

or you've just closed it and tried to start it up immediately afterwards when it takes about 5-6 seconds after the exiting dialogue to disappear before the process is shut down.

like 99% of problems this one is BKAC

nearly right. First time it crashed :rolleyes: and didn't fully close. killing the process in task manager fixed it, but it's due to shoddy programming imo, there's no pebcak involved.

schizo220168 said:
I think there is a lot of people who think steam is good and not so many people dont like it.

if you dont like it then dont use it.

Well that's the thing isn't it? Valve haven't really given us a choice, if I want to play HL2 or CS etc, I have to use it!

Steam has worked well for me over the past year. Only had one hiccup with it, but think that was due to my dieing install of windows.
I buy nearly all of my games from there.

I personally like the simplicity of;
"oh, I'll just click this button and play"

as opposed to;
"oh think I will have a game of COD, lets just find the box.. now lets find the cd which ofcourse isn't in the box, then load it up only to find I havent installed it yet...."

Hurrah for Steam!

Yeah that's good if you have the HD space. But it's really just the same as firing up a fully installed game from your start menu, although I appreciate it's done for the security implications also. My HD's nearly full though and i really cba to swap it. That's just my laziness really though, I will do when i gets critical!

I think steam is awesome, I've hardly had any problems with it and used it since it first came out. It makes everything so much easier.

If you're having problems try deleting "ClientRegistry.blob" and "AppUpdateStats.blob" in the main steam directory, then restart steam.

That usually fixes any problems i have.

Thanks for the heads up dude, I'll try that the next time it fails on me big time, atm though it's just trying it's hardest to **** me off!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hmm so opionion is very much divided. So then at best it's poorly tested for compatibility issues or something I guess, if some people have trouble free gaming and some people detest it! Thanks for the hd-spanning tip, might be useful. My main pc atm is my laptop, so I can't have the rack of 5 hds I used to have in my old tower, I'll get a mahoosive one at some stage though and image this one onto the new one or something.

Back
Top Bottom