Why is talktalk so bad?

Associate
I read reviews about talktalk and heard how bad they were, basically every customer who was with talk talk that I came across told me it's bad and they can't wait to get out of contract so they can move to BT again.

I assumed talktalk had their own network similar to how virgin operates but it seems they are actually within BT openreach networks. Has this always been the case or is that a recent move?

Anyway, given how they are on openreach network now, how can they be any worse than other ISPs using the BT openreach network like sky, ee, plusnet etc.

What do they do different that causes them to have such a bad reputation?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Customer service is where they tend to fall down. That said, I've been with them for a long time - the only issues I ever had were resolved quickly by the OCEs on the old TalkTalk members forum.

My theory about ISPs in this country is that they're all terrible. Tt at least are cheap and terrible.

Soldato
Openreach provide the connections to the internet and their customers, TT still have to host their own infrastructure to provide their service. Due to being very low cost you would expect TT to under provision , use less / cheaper equipment and have lower quality cheaper support.

Caporegime
TalkTalk run a very high reliability wholesale network and their business services are of a high quality. There might be an issue with their support on the retail side, I've never used it. I can't see why the actual product they deliver would be worse than Plusnet, for example.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
TalkTalk run a very high reliability wholesale network and their business services are of a high quality. There might be an issue with their support on the retail side, I've never used it. I can't see why the actual product they deliver would be worse than Plusnet, for example.
It isnt any worse than any other ISP, their residential broadband is of a very good quality (Read, 7ms to google from my Oxfordshire based FTTC, no noticeable contention or any throttling). The support is non existent but frankly as long as you follow their procedures they will escalate to openreach the same as any other.

Soldato
My grandmother bless her had so many issues with talktalk. Months I had to slam there face in over the phone about 1mbps speeds when she was due 40. All blaming it in her age or her laptop. To the point where BT themselfs came down and said it was clearly the router. Don't get me started on trying to get that replaced. Tried to leave them due to lack of service and the leaving fees they came up with was insane. Wouldn't touch them with a 400 foot pole ever again. Noope

Soldato
Talk Talk have variance over the network, in some locations they borrow BT lines as other ISP's do and in some locations they have LLU (local loop unbundling) where they effectively "plug you in" to their kit in the exchange rather than it travelling all the way up BT's kit and being handed off there.

If you are on a LLU line and can get a competent support person you can really get yourself a steady line with a good balance but if you end up on BT's copper then you are at their mercy as you would be with anybody else.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Talk Talk have variance over the network, in some locations they borrow BT lines as other ISP's do and in some locations they have LLU (local loop unbundling) where they effectively "plug you in" to their kit in the exchange rather than it travelling all the way up BT's kit and being handed off there.

If you are on a LLU line and can get a competent support person you can really get yourself a steady line with a good balance but if you end up on BT's copper then you are at their mercy as you would be with anybody else.
LLU or not, the line remains exactly the same. FTTC or ADSL, it is all openreach infrastructure to either the cabinet or exchange depending on the connection type.

Soldato
The majority of complaints I see over Social media and when I browsed the TT forums (when I was with TT a few years back before moving to Sky and there Q system) were along the lines of "Talk Talk are **** my wifi on my iphone is terrible" I would also see this for other ISP's.

Simple fact is that most users are using 2.4ghz in congested areas where throughput goes through the floor, my partner was on a 12mb ADSL connection and most evenings this would drop to .5-1mb simply because of the saturation (a simple wifi sniffer app would constantly pick up 15+ networks) her router was a supplied type from BT with the combined 2.4/5ghz networks simply separating them and setting her mobile to 5ghz only along with picking a nice clean channel sorted this out, however she eventually then moved to another ISP who only supplied a 2.4ghz router which I then *had to* connect the BT router to to create the 5ghz network again due to congestion.

In TT's case they are one of the biggest ISP's and also have door to door pushy salesman (they have turned up on my doorstep) so therefore have a larger majority of complaints.

Soldato
LLU or not, the line remains exactly the same. FTTC or ADSL, it is all openreach infrastructure to either the cabinet or exchange depending on the connection type.

This is the thing most customers are ignorant of, TT just uses BT's knackered old copper line infrastructure from the cabinet to their homes, and if that's in bad condition, it's down to BT to repair/replace the faulty wires.

People get frustrated with TT, but it's really BT's reluctance to spend money on upgrading the physical infrastructure that causes all the problems, and that is where the blame should lie. BT get to hide behind the likes of TT and the rest.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
have dealt with 100's of home users internet problems, can confirm TalkTalk are the worst for tech support (of the big suppliers)
Yep, that is probably true. But that isnt what you quoted. That line relates to the actual quality of the connection.

Soldato
have dealt with 100's of home users internet problems, can confirm TalkTalk are the worst for tech support (of the big suppliers)

In my experience when I was with them the rot set in when they took on the Tiscali(?) customer base, overnight the tech support on the forums went from getting replies in 2hrs to something like 2-3 days.

Associate
I need some advice. My father has Broadband with Talk Talk at a property managed under a ex manager. I have trying to change the ownership to my father name for over 3 months now!!!! and sent off a change of ownership form by post. I did this recorded delivery and got confirmation that it has arrived. They will not accept the forms online nor did they ask about the confirmation I recieved from the Post Office that it has arrived at it destination.

They will not speak to him about this account as they need a password, but I have spoken to the ex manager and she advised that there is no password. She not being helpful as I have been trying to arrange a time she can speak to them and advise them of this but she is avoiding my messages. I am at my wits end and thinking of just disconnecting the router and she cancel the Direct Debit payments as it is coming from her account. At the moment my father is reimbursing her but this cant go on as if there is a broadband failure he cannot do anything as his name is not on the account. I think this is the only option??

Soldato
First bit of advice: Calm down and stop bumping ancient and largely unrelated threads. This whole thing reads like your father made some slightly unusual arrangements and you’re jumping to conclusions and being a drama queen for the sake of it.

No ISP I have ever worked for or dealt with (to my knowledge) will change the account name in the circumstances you describe without having signed paperwork from both parties, it’s a question of liability, COSAR potentially needs updating, a credit check needs to be done and they need to know where to send the bill to for the former account holder, they will also usually verify the request with each party. However slow that may be, I assume they told you the ETA/SLA at the start, that likely doesn’t start till they received correctly filled out paperwork etc. If it’s beyond that timescale, then contact them and ask for an update, but as you are neither the ex manager or your father, expect to get nowhere without one of them with you, as from TT’s perspective this has absolutely nothing to do with you.

Faults wise you’re mistaken, if a fault occurs anyone can report it. Also disconnecting the router will still leave the line active, you can’t take another providers service on it and your father would still need to pay to have another line installed and I’m guessing the management contract your father signed will stipulate he is also liable for the cost + fees, which is just going to make things worse as the former property manager then gets to take him to court for non payment and it’s pretty obvious how that would end. Line cost + non payment fee x 3 months, collections costs, the stated fees from the management company contract, statutory interest, the small claims court fees, legal costs and loss of earnings etc. Don’t be that guy....

As a short term fix why not go and see the manager, be polite and don’t get excited, they probably don’t want to have the agro of paying for services on a property they don’t manage either, phone TT together and ask for an update, while you’re at it get them to put a password on the account and have you/your father noted as being able to deal with the account. Either way being a drama queen will just cost you more agro and your father more money.

Associate
As much as I appreciate the time you took to read my damsel in distress issue and the extensive advice you have given me Avalon I think you may be jumping the gun on the fact of me being a 'drama queen for the sake of it'. :eek::(:D
I am merley asking for advice. :p........... I guess one is free to interprete it how they like.
You are correct it has nothing to do with me but I am trying to help my father like any child would try and help their parent.;)

Soldato
Glad I wasn't holding my breath for an update :D As to the drama queen point, you suggested unplugging the router and stopping the payment to a third party who (presumably) has a contract with your father and legal recourse against them, that's not something you generally do if you are trying to help someone. Either way I hope your father got sorted.

Back
Top Bottom