Why is the government entitled to a slice of our wages?

Caporegime
So inspired by a post in the housing market thread, why are they are entitled to a slice of our wages (slice increases mores you earn)?

Where did it all start?

Is there a better way?

Should they be told get lost?

Caporegime
OP
Let’s take HS2 as an example, what’s the funding % from the tax payer?

What about the Houses of Parliament fixer upper? How about they approach their wealthy compardres to pay for it?

Are we not supposed to be all in it together?

Caporegime
OP
Income tax is totally fine. It's tax on tax that's the killer, even VAT for example which effects everyone but also things like stamp duty, inheritance tax, CGT, etc.

It's kind of crazy to think that after having 20-40% taken you need to cough up another 20% if you actually want to use and spend any of that.

Yeah, people say if you want a civilised population but this system obviously doesn’t work and doesn’t feel very civilised to me and in 2017 there must be a better way of doing things.

Caporegime
OP
The thresholds for inheritance tax are quite generous. A married couple passing on their estate to their children/grandchildren, that's a limit of £850,000 without having to pay any tax at all.

And with house prices as they are.....someone who is not really wealthy could fall into having to pay tax purely because of the value of their house.

Caporegime
OP
Your local council almost certainly receives funding from central government, I'd be surprised if they operate on council tax alone.

Weren’t they cut off in the localistation thing? Hence why large cuts to budgets locally?

Who provides the environment and infrastructure your company operates in in order for you to be paid that wage?

Infrastructure? Do you mean the ability to collect taxes?

I work for a small (3 employees) company, I’m sure they could survive without Government interventions.

Caporegime
OP
Without a road network? Power? Telephony? Educated staff? Yeah, good luck.

Aren't the power companies private?

That does make complete sense.

But recently I've realised I am paying for loads of things I don't need. So I have started cutting things out to reduce my costs. This is actually improving my life. So given this example then surely the government should also be arriving for reduced costs and efficiencies.

EXACTLY!

Back
Top Bottom