Why is the government entitled to a slice of our wages?

Caporegime
So inspired by a post in the housing market thread, why are they are entitled to a slice of our wages (slice increases mores you earn)?

Where did it all start?

Is there a better way?

Should they be told get lost?

Soldato
So inspired by a post in the housing market thread, why are they are entitled to a slice of our wages (slice increases mores you earn)?

Where did it all start?

Is there a better way?

Should they be told get lost?
Without it who pays for police, no police how long do you think you will be keeping your money or possessions?

Commissario
My council tax pays for the police.
What about the road network, the armed forces, the health service?
Or the prisons and courts that then deal with the suspects arrested by the police?

There are a huge number of things that require a collective payment to make possible, most of which you as an individual will hopefully never need the use of, but the ones you do need would cost you a fortune to pay privately for.

Associate
The NHS, Education, The Military, Welfare, Government projects for the betterment of our nation and society. The list goes on. Without our taxes how do you think the government would pay for all these things?

Commissario
I love the (fairly typical) wording of the Exoress "hand outs" etc.

What it fails to mention is that under something like the US system of healthcare the average family earning £26k would probably be paying far more than £1200 to the health service (a lot of people would be paying more than that per person for insurance before any "co payments").

Caporegime
I think somewhere along the line people realised that absolute freedom (anarchy) wasn't so free afterall as they couldn't leave their house without someone robbing or stealing it, or just being killed for it. It'd be like US prisons where you'd have to join a gang to be strong and there's still every chance you'll get picked off. I think that's why the US constitution is so brilliant, it protects individual liberty from being taken away by government or other groups (like the political correctness enforcement mob).

Caporegime
OP
Let’s take HS2 as an example, what’s the funding % from the tax payer?

What about the Houses of Parliament fixer upper? How about they approach their wealthy compardres to pay for it?

Are we not supposed to be all in it together?

Back
Top Bottom