• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why isn't there much to choose from in the AMD gpu range anymore

Soldato
I have always bought amd gpu's, but this time I might have to go Nvida as theres not much of a amd selection anymore.. Im thinking RTX 2060/2070 to replace my R9 290?

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I have always bought amd gpu's, but this time I might have to go Nvida as theres not much of a amd selection anymore.. Im thinking RTX 2060/2070 to replace my R9 290?

There's RX580, RX590, Vega56, Vega64 and Radeon 7, in the mid to high end. How many more do you want :p

equivalent, well slightly faster than the 2060/2070 are the Vega56/Vega64

Soldato
OP
There's RX580, RX590, Vega56, Vega64 and Radeon 7, in the mid to high end. How many more do you want :p

equivalent, well slightly faster than the 2060/2070 are the Vega56/Vega64
I mean there's not meny brands to choose from, as I am quite fussy how inside my case looks. The Veg56 cards looks naff and the Vega64 is out of my price range.

Soldato
I mean there's not meny brands to choose from, as I am quite fussy how inside my case looks. The Veg56 cards looks naff and the Vega64 is out of my price range.
There aren't as many AMD AIBs as there used to be, but there's still quite a bit of choice. Asus, ASRock, Gigabyte, HIS, MSI, PowerColor, Sapphire, XFX... surprised you think the Vega 56 Pulse looks naff. It's a very handsome card IMO and also IMO the best graphics card deal in the UK right now when factoring in the free games.

Soldato
OP
There aren't as many AMD AIBs as there used to be, but there's still quite a bit of choice. Asus, ASRock, Gigabyte, HIS, MSI, PowerColor, Sapphire, XFX... surprised you think the Vega 56 Pulse looks naff. It's a very handsome card IMO and also IMO the best graphics card deal in the UK right now when factoring in the free games.

I guess theres still a few brands to choose from, but when your spending a few hundred £££ on a card you want a bit of bling or uniqueness aswel.

I quite fancy a 1fan card this time as I have gone off the big hardware thing. I have been looking at this card,, less noise and dust, but not sure about the temps. But anything I upgrade too will be cooler then my r9 290?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-42v-as.html

Soldato
I guess theres still a few brands to choose from, but when your spending a few hundred £££ on a card you want a bit of bling or uniqueness aswel.

I quite fancy a 1fan card this time as I have gone off the big hardware thing. I have been looking at this card,, less noise and dust, but not sure about the temps. But anything I upgrade too will be cooler then my r9 290?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-42v-as.html

Good luck with the noise of 1 fan cards......

Soldato
OP
Good luck with the noise of 1 fan cards......

I have my 290 fans set to run at 80% while gaming and thats close to 3000rpm, so thats not exactly quiet even though its a 2fan card, but it doesnt run cool either.

So finding a gpu with low temps is half the trouble solved right there. Then it depends on the air flow in the case, the actual fan design of the card and how much care was involved placing the paste/heatsink on the gpu.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I have my 290 fans set to run at 80% while gaming and thats close to 3000rpm, so thats not exactly quiet even though its a 2fan card, but it doesnt run cool either.

So finding a gpu with low temps is half the trouble solved right there. Then it depends on the air flow in the case, the actual fan design of the card and how much care was involved placing the paste/heatsink on the gpu.
If noise is an issue, then get a 1660Ti, they run much more efficiently and fans won’t need to spin so fast to keep it cool. But you can grab a vega 56 and tweak it, it should run without much noise also I would imagine.

Soldato

You must be off your conkers to spend £330 on that.

Soldato

What's 'blingy' or unique about that card though?

OcUK Staff

If you want that, wait until the weekend and check our homepage, its gonna be £289.99 for a one weekend only special, we also only have 50 and that is then it, as purchase cost from distribution is around £311

Vega 56 however is better.

Soldato

Yeah there's not much choice in terms of coolers but there's plenty of choice in terms of AMD range of cards at that performance range.

Soldato

Hope you're playing with headphones on with that card, or your PC is in another room....

Soldato
OP
I dont need to upgrade my r9 290 card just yet as it still runs most games almost maxed out at 1080, So I might see what amd/nvidia has to offer about september time. Because RTX 2070 are a tad too much for me atm and I am a bit put off with the RTX 2060 only having 6gb of memory, also I dont like the look of the vega56 cards and the other amd cards are a too pricey..

Will there be any new cards out later in the year?

Soldato
Will there be any new cards out later in the year?
Yes, AMD are releasing an entirely new architecture called Navi some time this year. It's going to be a mid-range product though based on everything that's been said, perhaps offering Vega 64-ish performance with much lower power draw and at 1660 Ti-esque pricing. Which sounds like what you're after, but it's all still entirely rumours and speculation at this point.

Back
Top Bottom