Why The The Next Housing Price Crash Will Be Worse!

Associate
Why The The Next Housing Price Crash Will Be Worse!
Updated: 11:57, Thursday September 28, 2006

According to the Halifax House Price Index, UK house prices have risen every year since 1996, and 2006 looks like another positive year for property owners.

After eleven years of rising prices, it's no surprise that, to millions of homeowners, the last housing crash seems a lifetime away. However, its effects lasted for more than five years until 1995, when house prices set off on what is almost certainly their longest post-war winning streak.

In the six years between 1983 and 1989, the average UK house price more than doubled from roughly £31,600 to £68,800, an increase of 117%. However, by 1995, this figure had slipped to £61,500, which equates to a fall of 11% -- and that's before taking inflation into account. In the six years from 1999 to 2005, the average house price soared again, increasing from £81,600 to £170,200, which is a rise of 109%.

The rapid increase in house prices since the turn of this century led me to sell my house last year, so I've leapt off the housing ladder and now rent a nice family home. Indeed, I remain surprised at the willingness of buyers to pay ever-higher prices for properties. Still, with a large group of vested interests (mortgage lenders, estate agents, surveyors, buy-to-let investors and so on) talking up the housing market, my dissenting view is very much a voice in the wilderness!

Nevertheless, although I can't say when the next housing downturn will begin, I remain convinced that there is definitely one in the offing. Here are ten reasons why I expect house prices to go into reverse in the years ahead:

1. We overspend without a care

Sensible budgeting can be summed up in this phrase: spend less than you earn. For example, I try to invest half of my take-home pay in order to build a brighter future for my family. However, most people seem to have forgotten this basic rule of budgeting, because, across the UK as a whole, we spend £110 for every £100 of take-home pay. Frankly, this is financial mismanagement on a vast scale, and is nothing short of a recipe for long-term financial ruin!

Learn the skills of budgeting: read Your Guide To Easy Money.

2. Our bills are soaring

Although the headline indicators of inflation (rising prices) are reasonably low in historical terms, housing expenses are rising at a much faster rate than the cost of other goods and services. Indeed, the latest report from the Halifax shows housing costs rising at 7% a year. Homeowners have been hit particularly hard by hefty increases in Council Tax and energy prices. Indeed, the cost of domestic gas and electricity has almost doubled in the past three years, which is more bad news for our budgets!

Our free utilities wizard searches over seven thousand tariffs to find you the lowest energy bills!

3. Mortgage debt is massively higher

In mid-1991, UK homeowners owed £308 billion to mortgage lenders. Fifteen years later, this figure has more than tripled to £1,025 billion. Thus, our mortgage debt has increased at almost 8½% a year for a decade and a half, which is some borrowing binge. Indeed, at a typical interest rate of 5½% a year, we now hand over £56 billion a year in interest to mortgage lenders, which is an all-time record. Ouch!

Our free mortgage service searches over eight thousand home loans to find you the best deal!

4. Non-mortgage debt has exploded

Although our mortgage debt has soared in recent years, at least we have £3.6 trillion of housing wealth to support it. Then again, our unsecured debt (also known as 'consumer credit', which includes credit and store cards, personal and student loans, overdrafts, etc.) has risen at an even faster rate.

In July 1993, this debt totalled £52.5 billion; twelve years later, it amounts to £212 billion. Hence, it's more than quadrupled in thirteen years, rising at an average rate of over 11% a year. And what have we got to show for all this spending? Not very much of value, to my mind!

Check out these cracking 0% credit cards and low-rate personal loans today!

5. Mortgage equity withdrawal has soared

In the US, the 'wealth effect' created by rising house prices causes homeowners to borrow against their homes in order to fund their lifestyles. This is known as mortgage equity withdrawal, or MEW. Predictably, this American habit has spread to the UK, with MEW rocketing in recent years. Sadly, as I warned in Your Home Is Not A Cash Machine, this is rarely a wise move!

6. Wage inflation is modest

Although house prices, mortgages and other debts have been rising rapidly in recent years, the same cannot be said for wages, which have increased at a far more modest clip. As I revealed in this article, average pre-tax annual earnings have climbed by just 4.2% a year since 1997, which is far slower than the growth in house prices.

Hence, the average house now costs 6.3 times the average wage, compared to the three times salary that I paid for my first home in 1992. Frankly, I'm astonished that people are willing to pay such over-inflated sums for dwellings!

7. The savings ratio has plunged

Naturally, our lengthy borrowing binge has been accompanied by a fall in the proportion of our take-home pay which we set aside as savings. In 1995, we saved more than a tenth of our disposable income (10.2%), but this figure plunged as low as 3.7% in 2004 before creeping up to just over 5% today. Nice work, guys and gals!

Find a handsome high-interest account in our savings centre!

8. Interest rates are low

The one thing which keeps the wolves from the doors of millions of homeowners is low interest rates. Currently, the Bank of England's base rate is just 4.75% a year (although it's likely to rise to 5% by November). In historical terms, this is fairly low: since 1975, the base rate has been as high as 17% in 1979/80, but has only been below 5% since September 2001 (due to the economic impact of the 9/11 attacks). Enjoy these low interest rates while you can, because they won't last forever!

Earn a table-topping 6.1% a year before tax with a Best Buy current account!

9. The State safety-net has vanished

As a tenant, you can apply to claim Housing Benefit if you are unable to pay your rent; four million people claimed Housing Benefit in February 2006. On the other hand, State support for homeowners who are sick, injured or unemployed is virtually non-existent.

The big crunch is that the benefit paid to homeowners who are struggling to pay their mortgages (Income Support for Mortgage Interest, or ISMI) was slashed in October 1995, as I warned in this article. The important point to note is that you get no help whatsoever with your mortgage repayments for 39 weeks (nine months; long enough to have a child!) and you have perhaps a one-in-five chance of getting any help thereafter. So much for the government encouraging home ownership, eh?

10. Private insurance cover is pants

When the government rolled back ISMI in 1995, it expected insurers to step into the breach by offering homeowners competitively priced protection against accident, sickness and unemployment. Alas, financial-services firms responded by doing what they always do: charging sky-high prices for inferior policies.

As I revealed in this article, mortgage payment protection insurance (MPPI) is hugely overpriced and poorly designed. In total, UK homeowners are being ripped off to the tune of £1 billion a year by the lenders and insurers which sell MPPI. Take my advice: don't buy MPPI from your mortgage lender; instead, shop around for a Best Buy policy from the likes of Ant Insurance, Best Insurance, British Insurance, Burgesses, Helpupay and the Post Office.

Get quality quotes for all types of cover in our insurance centre!

Finally, since the Second World War, the average house price has risen by around 8½% a year. In the past six years, it has risen by an average of 13% a year. Most statistical trends tend to revert to their long-term average (a phenomenon known as regression to the mean), which suggests that house prices have some way to fall. Hence, anyone who believes that the current winning streak will continue without end is living in Cloud Cuckoo Land!

---------------------------------------------------
above was taken from sky news
:p :p :p

hope they do crash within the next 5yrs
:)

Associate
I got on the ladder last year. You say you have sold up and are now renting, if you have to rent a family home lets say the avg rent would be £10k a year and say you have to wait 5 years until another crash then for you to be any better off an equivalent house to the one you sold will need to be over £50k cheaper than what you sold it for. So for a 200k house that is a 25% drop!!

Whilst I accept that their may be a downturn in the next few years no-one knows for certain. I hope their is a crash and I hope house values drop by over 20% as I'll try and secure a 2nd property (might be difficult if I have negative equity though).
Oneilldo

Soldato
People have been saying this for years, unless we have a recession i doubt it.

OP, you seem like one of the housepricecrash visitors who want to spread the "crash" word to help it along, seems you may be worrying that STR'ing was a bad idea?

I doubt anything is close to happening, i dont have one friend who is struggling to live or pay the mortgage, maybe its worse down sounth i dont know?

Man of Honour
I'm gutted about it. When I first came to uni here, you could get what would be advertised as a two bedroomed terraced house for about £65k. They're now worth about £120k for some absurd reason I totally missed out.

So I'm looking forward for a crash so that I can get my foot on the property ladder.

Soldato
JAMAL said:
I doubt anything is close to happening, i dont have one friend who is struggling to live or pay the mortgage, maybe its worse down south i dont know?

Theres a huge price difference between north\south. For example:

Typical 3-bed semi in Cumbria - £114k

Typical 3-bed semi in Middlesex (where I live) - £303k

(looking at www.findaproperty.com)

Soldato
sr4470 said:
Theres a huge price difference between north\south. For example:

Typical 3-bed semi in Cumbria - £114k

Typical 3-bed semi in Middlesex (where I live) - £303k

(looking at www.findaproperty.com)

I'm not stupid mate i know that, but wages are vastly different down south too.

I was referring to the sittuation of people paying their bills mortgage etc..

Soldato
JAMAL said:
I'm not stupid mate i know that, but wages are vastly different down south too.

Minimum wage is the same regardless of where you go.

JAMAL said:
I was referring to the situation of people paying their bills mortgage etc..

How about folk who got a mortgage recently?

Soldato
Well clearly, wages for those in the south aren't 50%(+) higher, which they would need to be in order to make ease of living the same for both areas.

Of course, those numbers are extreme examples though.

Soldato
"Minimum wage is the same regardless of where you go."

But on average wages are higher down south, fact.

"How about folk who got a mortgage recently?"

The bank wont give you a £300k mortgage if you are on 10k a year will they! they must be earning what the bank sees fit to lend against a house.

Soldato
Apologies in advance for stating the obvious again, but:

JAMAL said:
But on average wages are higher down south, fact.

True, but the problem is those jobs arent distributed very evenly.

JAMAL said:
The bank wont give you a £300k mortgage if you are on 10k a year will they!

Where did that come from? I'm talking about the mortgage rising *after* purchase.

Also, rents are often higher than the equivalent monthly mortgage payment on a property.

Soldato
sr4470 said:
Apologies in advance for stating the obvious again, but:

True, but the problem is those jobs arent distributed very evenly.

Well i dont know about that as i a northerner so i'll take your word for it.

sr4470 said:
Where did that come from? I'm talking about the mortgage rising *after* purchase.
repayments going up due to interest rates you mean? well they arnt going up that quick are they!

sr4470 said:
Also, rents are often higher than the equivalent monthly mortgage payment on a property.

Been there, done that, now luckily i have a 45k mortgage on a 100k house.

Soldato
starscream said:
While demand for housing continues to outweigh the supply, there isn't going to be a crash.

I can't see there being a crash either - not a major one anyway. I think we'l be looking at prices falling slightly and then levelling off for a few years.

Soldato
Depends if the government think that bringing in more immigrants will keep the house prices high so there won't be a crash as the demand will still be high?

Even my ground-floor flat in a dodgy part of Glasgow has risen in value by about £10K - £20K in the last four or five years since I bought it. No wonder average mortgage is now 4x salary rather than 3x.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Why are people so obsessed with the value of their house? For all practical purposes, it doesn't actually matter as long as you don't plan to move. If the value of your house halved next year, but you wanted to stay in it - so what? Your plans for a re-mortgage are up the swannie, but that's it - just wait there until values go backup, which they will. If the you DO want to move then remember that the value of most other property has fallen as well. Just make sure you move to an area where the fall has been even worse.

The main thing that happens is that high-value property zone contract. An example from the last crash was in Cambridge: as the previous boom took off, the values of properties around Cambridge in the surrounding villages went up. When the crash happened those values fell, but the value of properties in Cambridge itself were hardly effected. But within five years they were back to where they had been.

M

Back
Top Bottom