Why use Linux?

Associate
Just a few things about Ubuntu

+ Is great, but not for gamers.
+ Has problems with ATI graphics cards.
+ Stability depends on hardware. My old system didn't crash, but new one does nearly once every few days.
+ Easy to install programs.

There's something about the interface I just cannot get used to. I think it's the mix from the different developers which creates a mashed up look. I've never been able to master making my fonts look like they do in Windows.

I have Windows on one partition, Ubuntu on the other.

Soldato
Harrison said:
+ Is great, but not for gamers.

This is down to game developers using DirectX almost exclusively.

+ Has problems with ATI graphics cards.

Feisty Fawn has no issues with ATI cards as far as I am aware

+ Stability depends on hardware. My old system didn't crash, but new one does nearly once every few days.

Ubuntu has only ever crashed when I have done something daft. Never had any hardware issues that have caused crashes.

+ Easy to install programs.

Very true. Using apt-get or Synaptic or even the new Add/Remove Programs function in Feisty make installing software a doddle.

There's something about the interface I just cannot get used to. I think it's the mix from the different developers which creates a mashed up look. I've never been able to master making my fonts look like they do in Windows.

Never had a problem with the interface. It is clean, efficient and does a good job. It is also very highly configurable. Not sure about your font issue but if you go to http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#How_to_improve_sub-pixel_font_rendering_for_Feisty there is a quick how to on improving the fonts.

I have Windows on one partition, Ubuntu on the other.

I too have a Windows XP partition, for those times where I absolutely need Windows [gaming primarily].

Soldato
Automatix is no longer considered a good tool to use as it tends to cause problems with dependencies and stuff when you come to use other package management tools.

Feisty has a very good Add/Remove programs utility now anyway.

If you want to install the mscorefonts yourself then just open a Terminal and type:

Code:
sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts

You may need to add some extra repositories to your sources list first.

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#How_to_add_extra_repositories will tell you how :)

Suspended
After reading this thread, i decided to give Ubuntu another go. And i am so glad that i did.

Installed the windows fonts along with a few more tweaks and its feeling as smooth as ever.

Only problem i am still having is getting the back/forward buttons to work. Seems that, no matter how many guides i follow, i never get a result.

EDIT: on my MX1000

Last edited:
Caporegime
=walls= said:
Fair enough, my statement was a bit of an exaggeration... Bes's statement is much more accurate!! (Arch for the win :D)
The longest I have ever had to wait for something to compile was at initial install, X11 took the longest and a shade under 10 hours. Granted it's a long time, but very much worth it for a system like X11 imo. Never have I ever had an X11 install run so well.

Nothing else takes longer than 15mins to compile, of which I can minimise the terminal window and continue my work.

Associate
OP
Just to report that I have found Mint. Its an offshoot of Ubuntu except its got the main media codecs. Im finding that this is probably the most user friendly and Windows-esque of what Ive looked at so far. Id recommend this for "noobs". like myself. Its also totally free :)

Also Ive found Puppy Linux which Im going to try on some older machines.

Associate
SiriusB said:
Feisty Fawn has no issues with ATI cards as far as I am aware

I had initial issues with the 3D element of my ATi X1300, there's problems with the X1### range of ATi cards with regards to 3D rendering. Fixed it after a bit of tinkering with it.

Rhys said:
Just to report that I have found Mint. Its an offshoot of Ubuntu except its got the main media codecs. Im finding that this is probably the most user friendly and Windows-esque of what Ive looked at so far. Id recommend this for "noobs". like myself. Its also totally free :)

Also Ive found Puppy Linux which Im going to try on some older machines.

Add the following to your sources list in ubuntu and you'll get the non-free codecs - taken from the ubuntu forums. The codecs legality depends on which country you're in, but they're no more legal/illegal than anything Mint runs. :)

Code:
## PLF REPOSITORY (Unsupported.  May contain illegal packages.  Use at own risk.) 
## Medibuntu - Ubuntu 7.04 "feisty fawn" 
## Please report any bug on https://launchpad.net/products/medibuntu/+bugs 
deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ feisty free non-free 
#deb-src http://medibuntu.sos-sts.com/repo/ feisty free non-free

squiffy said:
I spotted that. I already downloaded Ubuntu, so why should I download another version because Linux is broke, and you need to install in text mode?

Linux has a long long way to go to be a suitable replacement. If Windows stayed like Windows ME then that's another matter. But if XP is stable, and "everything works" then people have less of a reason to change, especially if hardware support is half working. It doens't matter if XP might be slightly less stable. I'd have a lock up once a month (it hasen't locked up, giving an example) than non working digital output.

Why should I have to change soundcard? Who's to say if I change digital out will work?

At least they give you the option. When XP came out there were people left stranded when certain things didn't appear in the HCL (Hardware compatibility list) and plain didn't work.

You don't have to do anything, it's your prerogative to read up on an O/S before you install it. I believe an Apple Mac is what you want if you don't want to have to ever configure anything, change anything, work anything out or have to read up on anything etc. :)

Seriously though; I got Vista with my Laptop, and the scroll pad on my laptop didn't work with it out of the box, so I see where you are coming from. Thankfully, it's a lot easier to fix issues like that manually on a linux distro than it is on a Microsoft one - if there aren't drivers available. Hardware issues aren't exclusive to Linux.

With regards to Linux replacing Windows as the OS of choice for 99% of the population, I don't see that happening at all, it's generally not the communities aim as a whole - the coders code for the code mostly, not for the market. Additionally, most people don't choose Windows as their first OS, it's what comes with the prebuilt computer they buy, unless they shop at a certain major computer companies website, where they specifically choose to package suitable hardware for the OS installed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hades said:
I have to say that now I use Linux more than Windows I, I simply won't buy hardware if it isn't compatible.
Same here - I used to be a big ATI fan, but now I only buy NVidia cards because they're better supported than ATI.

Associate
GarethDW said:
Same here - I used to be a big ATI fan, but now I only buy NVidia cards because they're better supported than ATI.
which is really annoying, as I want to upgrade my gfx card (play games through cedega/wine), but don't want to upgrade my whole rig (I'm still agp!!!) - so the logical conclusion is an x1950. It's a pain, but...

Soldato
Rhys said:
Just installed Mandriva 2007 Spring Powerpack with Gnome desktop. This is more like it :)

Divx works straight away, Internet works, etc. I havent had to type any commands in either!

This is a realistic alternative to Windows for me. Although Mandriva isnt free.

EDIT - just found out that WMV doesnt work. Ive googled it and am finding stuff out. therefore to answer my original question:- because you can...

Is that the one you pay for? Got a link? Thinking of having a play with linux, sounds like that might be my best bet as a noob ;)

Associate
IMO work : linux, home : windows. Linux is simply far more powerful for debugging, scripting etc than windows will ever be. I guess I only use windows as a change from linux in the evenings as i use linux all day every day although the truth is windows can do nothing more than linux.

Soldato
Ol!ver said:
Is that the one you pay for? Got a link? Thinking of having a play with linux, sounds like that might be my best bet as a noob ;)
I'd recommend going for Ubuntu rather than Mandriva. I used to like Mandrake/Mandriva, but I've been very impressed with how easy Ubuntu is for newcomers to use and how well made the entire distro is, that I recommend it first and foremost now.

You can download it from http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Soldato
GarethDW said:
I'd recommend going for Ubuntu rather than Mandriva. I used to like Mandrake/Mandriva, but I've been very impressed with how easy Ubuntu is for newcomers to use and how well made the entire distro is, that I recommend it first and foremost now.

You can download it from http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Cheers. First CD won't work, so redownloaded and burning at a slower speed to try again.

Soldato
Yeah, it's great, innit. And when you do come to install it it's the same, you still get a functioning environment including access to the internet during the installation, so should anything go wrong, you can access the IRC channels or Google for some help - and listen to online audio streams like Digitally Imported too. Such a good idea :)

Back
Top Bottom