Why you have to love Folding@Home

Soldato
Just having a quick browse of the folding forums before bed and found the news thread for the stats server going down yesterday...

linky

over the 9-10 hours Vijay (being the leader of project, not some jumped-up moderator) posted 6 times detailing exactly what was wrong, what they were doing to try and fix it and how long he expected it to be down for

and what's more is he would've been on it even sooner had it not been a Sunday AND Father's Day :eek: :D

now how many DC projects have that kind of communication with its contributors? :cool:

Soldato
Talk about commitment!

I am suprised though that they dont have a backup. I know stats aren't the main focus of the project but I suspect the vast majority of Foldees are folding to increase their WUPenis!

SiriusB

Soldato
OP
well I don't think an actual backup system is really necessary - it's not a common occurrance and I'd be very surprised if the actual data doesn't get backed up frequently anyway

the rest of the system is pretty resilient though - as you'll see a number of servers are down at the moment and despite some crappy work (which everyone is getting the same anyway) you wouldn't really notice the difference if you didn't have the server status page to check on :)

edit: and as if by magic the folding forums went down :rolleyes: :p
I must have spoken too soon :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom