Wife wants to get into APP creation, where to start?

Associate
As above, she wants to create an app for something shes passionate about,
shes got the idea,

what books or online tools can I get her, from the beginning ?

ideally IOS and Java I assume ?

thanks

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Did your wife watch the final of the Apprentice by any chance?

Indulge her idea with words for a few days, she'll lose interest after Christmas

Associate
There is a 2 main routes you could take

Native

iOS (iPhone/iPad etc) - Objective-C / Swift
Android - Java

If she wanted to go down the native route it would mean maintaining separate code bases for each.

Hybrid

Uses a single code base usually written in web technologies (HTML/CSS/Javascript) and then wrapped in a native container.

I would begin by researching these 2 routes and seeing which best suits her.

Have a read of this should give the basics of both routes

Link

Last edited:
Associate
Does she have any background in software? If not and she is otherwise employed then it could take years to develop the skills to develop an app that people would use.

If she has access to a Mac then she has a choice of Android or iOS. If she doesn't have access to a Mac then it is probably better to just focus on Android for now.

You could also do what roccles suggests and make a mobile friendly webapp which can be wrapped in a native app. If it is a simple app then something like jQuery mobile might have a suite of tools available to simplify the creation of the app which then can easily be ported to iOS/Android.

This book is a bit dated now but they are great authors and the Head First series are generally a great introduction.

Caporegime
There is a 2 main routes you could take

Native

iOS (iPhone/iPad etc) - Objective-C / Swift
Android - Java

If she wanted to go down the native route it would mean maintaining separate code bases for each.

Hybrid

Uses a single code base usually written in web technologies (HTML/CSS/Javascript) and then wrapped in a native container.

I would begin by researching these 2 routes and seeing which best suits her.

Have a read of this should give the basics of both routes

Link

What we do is write a native library in C that serves both apps, then just make the UI on each OS. Objective -C natively wraps around C, with java you need to make a JNI. This way you don't waste your time with nasty web technologies and get a performant app, which will also easily run on windows, Linux, osx etc.

Associate
What we do is write a native library in C that serves both apps, then just make the UI on each OS. Objective -C natively wraps around C, with java you need to make a JNI. This way you don't waste your time with nasty web technologies and get a performant app, which will also easily run on windows, Linux, osx etc.

Yep the OP could go that route but I can't see it happening for a first app I would suggest starting with either iOS/android or going the hybrid route and see how they get on.

I like your approach though, did you already have the core library when you started mobile development or did you start from scratch? I am assuming your software started as desktop app and mobile came later?

Last edited:
Caporegime
No we started making smartphone apps but it became stupid duplicating code and running into the same bugs or complexities so it seemed like the best approach, especially given we expected to have to run similar software on other embedded systems.

Depending in what the OP wants starting with some C could be a very good idea. That's how I started programming. The problem th starting with native android/iOS apps is you basically learn the smartphone environment but don't learn how to program.

Soldato
No we started making smartphone apps but it became stupid duplicating code and running into the same bugs or complexities so it seemed like the best approach, especially given we expected to have to run similar software on other embedded systems.

Depending in what the OP wants starting with some C could be a very good idea. That's how I started programming. The problem th starting with native android/iOS apps is you basically learn the smartphone environment but don't learn how to program.

Basically, programming is a skill, and it can be a very complex one with quite a steep learning curve, if your not into it from the very beginning... You may aswell give up.

OP, It's all good having an idea, but you will also need to skills to execute it, and getting those skills from scratch could take a while.

Associate
OP
its just a calculator and diary basically, to record medical food (breakfast, lunch, tea).
keep track of progress type thing, to then supply the doctor on the regular visits.

Soldato
its just a calculator and diary basically, to record medical food (breakfast, lunch, tea).
keep track of progress type thing, to then supply the doctor on the regular visits.

Have you checked the App Store for similar existing apps? I have a friend with diabetes who uses something along those lines. It looked like it hadn't been updated by the developers in a very long time though.

Soldato
So glad there's some common sense replies in here. Software development isn't something you can expect to pick up on a whim. After 4 years of intensive university course on the subject 50% dropped out, 25% failed, about 10% went on into jobs in the sector and had about another 4 to 5 years of learning from peers before being in the kind of position to allow them to create a successful and well made mobile app.

Now, that's not to say there wasn't people that had the mindset and intuitive ability that sailed through the course and started their own companies before finishing uni - like I did.

But unless she's one of the gifted few the only reason I feel I achieved this was due to doing the 8 years work that my peers did in the timespan of 3 - which included working with industry professionals, which I think was my biggest break.

However! Don't let that put her off, if she has the drive and motivation to make it work, then she can. It's not rocket science (as they say) but it does require a certain logical thinking that a lot of people don't posses - or don't care to develop.

Have to say though, I've never seen worse code or applications than those developed by those that are self taught.

Oh, also, as others have suggested - do your research. One of the biggest struggles of being in this business is finding a unique idea. If you can't find someone that's done it already you're probably not looking hard enough.

Associate
Have to say though, I've never seen worse code or applications than those developed by those that are self taught.

I agree with a lot of what you say but in my opinion this is completely wrong. Some of the best programmers I have worked with have no formal qualifications and on the flip side I have worked with others with Degrees and even master degrees who can talk the talk but not walk the walk.

Soldato
I agree with a lot of what you say but in my opinion this is completely wrong. Some of the best programmers I have worked with have no formal qualifications and on the flip side I have worked with others with Degrees and even master degrees who can talk the talk but not walk the walk.

I think it's the same regardless of degree.

Started my job recently, seen some fresh graduates code and it is utterly terrible. On the flipside I've seen some from university who write brilliant code and the same for self taught.

There's good coders and bad coders everywhere you look.

I just take the 'language' part of 'programming language' very literally.

There's hundreds of ways to say something, write something, but not everyone is a bestselling author.

Associate
As has been said, if your wife has had no previous inclination to learn programming then I wouldn't suggest she starts now. In much the same way that if I wanted a garage building I wouldn't learn how to lay bricks myself. I'd pay someone who knows what they're doing to do it to a higher standard in a fraction of the time.

Having said that, from your requirements I'm sure there will be an app that already does what you're after.

Soldato

I'm afraid you've created a logical fallacy. Applying some logic here (like we programmers like to do!) by asserting that the worse code I've seen has come from people that are self taught this doesn't limit someone that's self taught to deliver exceptional code. Nor do I say that everyone with a degree can create great code. Quite the opposite, I've let go many people with many years experience because they couldn't meet the standard.

So I stand by with what I say - the worse code I've seen is from people that have been self taught.

EDIT: Also, this obviously relates entirely to my personal experience. There's bad coders everywhere - look at any of our dev branches before a wee bit of peer review and you'll find all manor of sins if you catch us on a bad day.

Which reminds me, better go tidy up some exception catching!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom