Wifi 6(e) setup

Associate
Hi All

I'm using Devolo homeplugs currently to network my PC and the media PC in the lounge in my flat. I get around 100mb/s using this but I've been finding lately that sometimes the media PC loses connection to my PC which has Plex running on it and/or I get random disconnects when using the internet. I'm using the Devolo 1200 homeplugs so I don't think they can be upgraded to anything faster.

I can't run cables throughout the flat (hence why I use homeplugs) so can anyone reoommend a good Wifi 6 or Wifi 6e setup? I currently have a 4 port pfsense firewall appliance (which I want to keep so don't want to buy a new wifi 6 enabled router) so I would want to connect the wifi access point to this. I would also need two Wifi 6 network cards for the PC I use and the media PC. I don't want to buy anything that requires cloud and/or a subscription to use it. My flats about 95 square metres if that helps. I have a 500mb fibre connection so if I could achieve that kind of speed with Wifi 6/6e that would be awesome.

Thanks for any help.

Soldato
It’s very unlikely that WiFi6 will be any better than any Wi-Fi you have now (it literally is the same radio you have now, 2.4GHz and 5 GHz, just with a better software protocol) and WiFi6E is only better within the room the access point is located in my experience.

Soldato
OK, then a single 4x4 WiFi5 access point, placed as centrally as possible may well get you very close to 500MBps if you have 4x4 clients.

So the first thing to do is to lay your hands on an access point (do you not have an ISP supplied wireless router?) and mount that as close as possible to the middle of your property and see what coverage it gives you.

From what you're describing I'd either be looking at a Unifi UAP-HDFlex access point or maybe a UAP-HDNano on an access point stand. Using an access point stand to mimic mounting it on the ceiling really does make a massive difference to coverage across the rooms in a building.

Associate
OP
I don't use an ISP router and have my own Netgate pfsense firewall that has 4 gigabit ports on it (two in use currently). Luckily the firewall is right in the middle of the apartment so positioning an access point would be easy. Funnily enough the ISP emailed me today to say they're upgrading everyone to gigabit (from 500mb) for free! I don't mind spending a bit extra for Wifi 6 if it will give better speeds. My PC and the media PC in the lounge can't be more than about 10m from the firewall (15m tops). I would have to buy Wifi cards for both PCs which is fine.

Soldato
From your description it sounds like it would be difficult to ceiling mount your access point so a U6-LR on a stand or wait for the U6-Mesh to come out (soon).

And to get full gigabit you’ll need 4x4 WiFi6 adapters for all devices.

This might be a daft question but if the PCs are in the same room as the router/switch why not cable them for a perfect connection?

Back
Top Bottom