Wifi 6 Mode AND Router?

Associate
Hi all,

My BT home hub needs replacing so I'm after a Wifi 6 modem and router.

I've been looking at some products online like the LinkSys MR7350, which looks great but then at the bottom of that page I see that it needs to be connected to a modem :confused:

Are there 'all in ones' any more? I've only ever been lazy and had the ISP's provided modem router which does it all in one box. It seems I'll need to shell out for a modem too on top?

Any thoughts or advice appreciated! Thanks!

Associate
OP
Thanks, this looks like a reasonable price together.

I have an old powerline extender going into a garden office. Would that need to be plugged into the router or the modem?
I got the powerline extender working before by just using WPS which is available on it and the BT Home Hub.

Soldato
You plug it into the router. The Vigor 130 needs no configuration at all and you plug that into the WAN port on the Honor router and everything else plugs into the router. You put your PPPoE username and password into the WAN section on the Router configuration and it will connect through the modem.

I couldn't comment on the powerline extender but if it worked using WPS on the BT Home Hub it will probably work with WPS on the Honor router. Indeed, if you use the same SSID and password then most likely none of your client devices will notice the fact that you've changed the router.

Soldato
Budget option: HG612 (ex OpenReach FTTC modem that supports ADSL to FTTC once unlocked) rather than the Vigor, the former is £10-15 and takes all of 3-4 mins to unlock, the latter is £80ish and does the same, but adds the ability to tweak your line slightly. Unless you know you need that capability, save yourself £65+.

Back
Top Bottom