WiFi building to building 165m with line of site

Soldato
I'm moving house and it's very close to my parents, I believe 165m and with a pole on each house line of site should be possible. Would it be possible for me to have internet at my house and beam it to their house? They could then use my SkyQ with the mini box as it would be on the same network, they have VOIP so could still use that.

I have Unifi and would have access points at both houses for WiFi coverage.

Is this possible with a reliable enough connection for SkyQ and VOIP? What equipment would be needed?

Thanks

Soldato
With LOS something like the Mikrotik Wireless Wire might be a good shout: https://mikrotik.com/product/wireless_wire

@WJA96 will be sick of me @‘ing him but I know he has used this and has experience of the WW.

Thanks for the shout out.

Yes, if you want anything approaching 1Gbps line speed I would suggest the Mikrotik LHG Wireless Wire pair. These actually transmit at 2Gbps with a big buffer in each unit to allow for retransmits when it rains or snows, so they are not affected so much by the weather which is the big drawback with 60GHz transmissions. If you want REALLY reliable communications then the Wireless Wire Cube CubeG-5ac60ad is what you want - you get 1Gbps 60GHz transmission when the weather is good and in really bad weather you can have 2x2 5GHz communication at about 300Mbps which is the fallback. These are tiny and pretty inconspicuous. And they can be painted or wrapped to match the building if required. They're also more resistant to wind and snow build-up than the LHG although you can get a full radome shield for the LHG if that's an issue.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the shout out.

Yes, if you want anything approaching 1Gbps line speed I would suggest the Mikrotik LHG Wireless Wire pair. These actually transmit at 2Gbps with a big buffer in each unit to allow for retransmits when it rains or snows, so they are not affected so much by the weather which is the big drawback with 60GHz transmissions. If you want REALLY reliable communications then the Wireless Wire Cube CubeG-5ac60ad is what you want - you get 1Gbps 60GHz transmission when the weather is good and in really bad weather you can have 2x2 5GHz communication at about 300Mbps which is the fallback. These are tiny and pretty inconspicuous. And they can be painted or wrapped to match the building if required. They're also more resistant to wind and snow build-up than the LHG although you can get a full radome shield for the LHG if that's an issue.

Thanks WJA, would these be better than the Nanobeam? What are the benefits? More speed and less interference due to less other wifi using the frequency? Speed wise I think the 450mb would be enough, as long as they have useable reliable internet, in the long run it will cost less than their own VM package, of course it needs to be reliable as the Sky will be streaming across it and the VOIP is a business line.

Soldato
Thanks WJA, would these be better than the Nanobeam? What are the benefits? More speed and less interference due to less other wifi using the frequency? Speed wise I think the 450mb would be enough, as long as they have useable reliable internet, in the long run it will cost less than their own VM package, of course it needs to be reliable as the Sky will be streaming across it and the VOIP is a business line.

The first thing you need to bear in mind is that the Nanobeams are rated at 450Mbps simplex, so 225Mbps duplex under perfect conditions so expect 100-200Mbps in the real world. They cost about £150 for the pair. The Mikrotiks are roughly £170 for the pair and will genuinely run at 1Gbps and that will steadily reduce as the rain gets harder until you get a proper cats/dogs/ponies torrential downpour at which point you want the cube units (£200) and the 5GHz set cuts in and gives you a genuine 215-300Mbps depending on which 5GHz set you buy.

And they're just the simplest things ever to set up. Power them up, point them at each other and they just give you a 1Gbps connection. They just work.

The Nanobeams are fine, but just be aware they are strictly 24V Passive PoE so unless you have an older Unifi PoE switch they won't be powered off it. Whereas the Mikrotiks are 12-57V and will run off almost anything they're plugged into.

Soldato
OP
The first thing you need to bear in mind is that the Nanobeams are rated at 450Mbps simplex, so 225Mbps duplex under perfect conditions so expect 100-200Mbps in the real world. They cost about £150 for the pair. The Mikrotiks are roughly £170 for the pair and will genuinely run at 1Gbps and that will steadily reduce as the rain gets harder until you get a proper cats/dogs/ponies torrential downpour at which point you want the cube units (£200) and the 5GHz set cuts in and gives you a genuine 215-300Mbps depending on which 5GHz set you buy.

And they're just the simplest things ever to set up. Power them up, point them at each other and they just give you a 1Gbps connection. They just work.

The Nanobeams are fine, but just be aware they are strictly 24V Passive PoE so unless you have an older Unifi PoE switch they won't be powered off it. Whereas the Mikrotiks are 12-57V and will run off almost anything they're plugged into.

Thanks WJA, the cubes sound really good, it's a lot faster for little more cost. Do they have their own IP? Is there an easy way to login and change config?

I can only find them at a couple of places, no where I've heard of, one place is £217.97 inc VAT.

There's already a pole on my parents house, but it's quite big, diameter may be too big for the included mount, I'd also need a pole for my new house.

Soldato
Thanks WJA, the cubes sound really good, it's a lot faster for little more cost. Do they have their own IP? Is there an easy way to login and change config?

Yes, they have their own IP addresses on each end of the network. And no, they're a completely separate network device. And the Mikrotik engineer who did my training said the only mistake you can make with them is logging into them and trying to mess with the configuration settings. Treat it as a cable. plug it in and leave it alone.

I can only find them at a couple of places, no where I've heard of, one place is £217.97 inc VAT.

LinITX would be my supplier of choice.

There's already a pole on my parents house, but it's quite big, diameter may be too big for the included mount, I'd also need a pole for my new house.

The pole mount is just a case of buying bigger Jubilee clips from Screwfix or Toolstation. And you'd probably be surprised just how big the supplied clips expand to.

Soldato
OP
Yes, they have their own IP addresses on each end of the network. And no, they're a completely separate network device. And the Mikrotik engineer who did my training said the only mistake you can make with them is logging into them and trying to mess with the configuration settings. Treat it as a cable. plug it in and leave it alone.

LinITX would be my supplier of choice.

The pole mount is just a case of buying bigger Jubilee clips from Screwfix or Toolstation. And you'd probably be surprised just how big the supplied clips expand to.

Thanks WJA, I ordered the cubes from MS, they won't have them in stock for 2 weeks but I'm not in a rush. Got plenty of jubilee clips but ordered a Ubiquiti universal mount to go on my house. I'll do the installation at my parents first, then if I need to get anything else I can. Thanks for your help.

Soldato
OP
@WJA96

Finally got my house and installed the second unit today, early testing is very impressive. I ended up just using the TV aerial on my new house, plenty of clearance over other houses. My dad actually put it up and just aligned them by eye.

I could easily max out my 500mb connection on a speedtest, then tried transferring some large files to and from my server, it is literally like I was plugged into the main switch, they are incredible.

My friend also had a look and now he wants some to get internet to his summer house in his garden, he said it would be easier than trying to run a cable.

Thanks for the recommendation and help.

Caporegime
I didn't see this thread when it was posted but I would advise people against the NanoBeam AC products. They are quite old technology now and have been surpassed by other vendors product offerings in the same price bracket, but the main reason is that Ubiquiti don't seem to have resolved a long standing issue where the CPU in the device just isn't capable of pushing data at the 450Mbps rates advertised in the product marketing. You can get a perfect link up but as soon as you start using it the CPU becomes loaded to 100% and the devices top out below 300Mbps of throughput in a single direction.

Soldato
OP
I didn't see this thread when it was posted but I would advise people against the NanoBeam AC products. They are quite old technology now and have been surpassed by other vendors product offerings in the same price bracket, but the main reason is that Ubiquiti don't seem to have resolved a long standing issue where the CPU in the device just isn't capable of pushing data at the 450Mbps rates advertised in the product marketing. You can get a perfect link up but as soon as you start using it the CPU becomes loaded to 100% and the devices top out below 300Mbps of throughput in a single direction.

Thanks for the info, makes me even more pleased I followed WJA96's advice with the MikroTik.

Back
Top Bottom