Wifi card upgrade

Associate
Hi all,
Just upgraded my internets to 900mb (rather fab) but my laptop is showing rather low internet speeds, i have a "Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Adapter" it is showing as 5ghz connection at 390mbps but my internet speed only showing about 150 ish. Do I need to upgrade to a wifi 6 card (if so which one) or maybe consider a usb dongle ? ?

All thoughts welcome.

maj

maj

Soldato
I'm by no means a network expert but from what I can see that WiFi card has a maximum transfer rate of 433mb.

Have you checked WiFi card advanced options? It may have been set to 150 in there rather than automatic. Setting it to auto may push it to max it can support.

It does look like you'll need a faster WiFi card though to get 900mb. Personally I'd look to hard wire if you can. 5ghz degrades the further away you are from router too.

Associate
Have you tried moving your laptop next to your laptop and see what speed you get. In theory that should be the max speed you will get being in the perfect scenario.

Soldato
I think a WiFi 6 / 6E capable usb dongle would improve things. That Realtek adapter is only 1 stream (1T1R capable). Netgear do a 6E USB dongle, for about £90. Or a normal 6 dongle from the likes of TP-Link is about £50.

Back
Top Bottom