WiFi extender connected to router via ethernet cable?

Ole

Ole

Associate
I'm having serious WiFi issues at home.

Our router is in a cupboard (not ideal, I know, but it's where the Virgin connection has been wired in). My gaming PC and work laptop are in an adjoining room, maybe 6m from the router. The WiFi connection is really variable, which is a massive pain. When I'm gaming, I just run a long ethernet cable into the back of my PC, which obviously works perfectly. I just unplug it when I'm not playing.

However, my work laptop (Dell XPS 13) has no ethernet port, so the same solution does not work.

I wondered if there was a kind of WiFi extender I could plug onto the end of the ethernet cable (which connects directly into the back of the router), which I could then just sit on my desk while I am working. Would that work? If so, which extender would you recommend with an ethernet input?

Is there a better solution than this? I know I could just plug a WiFi extender into the wall under my desk, but given that is located where my PC's WiFi card is (which generally has a poor / variable connection), this doesn't seem like it will be a good solution.

All help gratefully received! :)

Associate
Power line adapters. Some people don't like them but they've been amazingly useful for my needs (router in hallway, powerline adapter in the shed outside)
I have a PC (ethernet) and a TP link WiFi extender on the other end so I can use multiple devices.

Ole

Ole

Associate
OP
Power line adapters. Some people don't like them but they've been amazingly useful for my needs (router in hallway, powerline adapter in the shed outside)
I have a PC (ethernet) and a TP link WiFi extender on the other end so I can use multiple devices.
Hmmm yeah, that could be an option. I have used PowerLine at my old house, but never the WiFi versions.

What about switching the router (Virgin standard one) to modem mode and getting a really high-end router. Think that would do the job?

Associate
Since you are already using a ethernet cable then how about a Usb C to Ethernet adapter/hub.
Was going to suggest this. I have like 4 in my bag for my coworkers to use if the Wi-Fi goes down.

I’d also suggest getting a cheap Wi-Fi router with 4 LAN ports to plug into the LAN cable so that you can have multiple devices connected via LAN. I have this setup for my office as any latency makes the work connection annoying.

It also means I get full Wi-Fi signal in bed.

The Honor routers are a great budget friendly range. very good and cheap.

Soldato
I just bought the Asus 82 router and put my virgin media hub in modem mode and the coverage is so much better. Maybe that's an option for you.

Some of the better routers can be expensive though

Soldato
If you have a cable then it sounds like a job for a UniFi in-wall access point. Ignore the in-wall name. You get a really decent wireless access point and 2-4 wired network points off one cable. You’ll also need a 48V PoE injector to power it. Total cost should be under £100 but could go to £200 depending on which one you buy.

Back
Top Bottom