WiFi Faster than Ethernet?

Associate
My WiFi is outperforming my ethernet - before I splurge to replace my router I want to confirm that it is in fact the bottleneck. I've just purchased the ethernet cable and the PC is a recent build. My router is the bog standard supplied by my ISP (Hyperoptic) but I haven't been able to find definitive proof of the ethernet speeds it outputs, I've just found info on its WiFi capabilities. My goal was to reduce latency with the ethernet cable.

Mobo: B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI

Ethernet Cable: 30m Cat 7 Ethernet Cable

Router: Tilgin HG2381

So what is the issue here? Dodgy ethernet cable? Poor network adapter on the mobo? Or as I expect, the router is just not up to snuff. Am I being dumb and there's potentially some PC/Router settings that I may be missing? Let me know if I can provide more info!

Ookla Speedtest results (Mbps):

WiFi Down: 138, Up: 210

Wired Down: 94, Up: 94

Associate
OP
Whoa, you guys have been super helpful. The messages here swayed my suspicion to my cable so I tested with 3 other laptops, wired and wireless, and saw the same decrease in speed. Guess it must be the cable! I was a little suspicious that the cable would be too good to be true, moral: don't trust Amazon reviews.

Also, I confirmed that under Ethernet Status speed is listed as 100Mbps. I could tell that was the upper limit as that was what the results were always capping out at but didn't know that was there so thanks for that tip!

I'm gonna return this crappy cable and pick up something decent. I'll use the below tip as a guide. Any other hints as to what indicates a good cable (as it looks like 99% of Amazon purchasers don't seem to test the stuff they buy...).
Cat5e is 24AWG (0.205mm2) and Cat6 23AWG (0.258mm2)

Back
Top Bottom