Wifi Smart Socket 3kw

Associate
I'd like to plug a heater into a wifi smart socket so I can turn it on over the network.

Is there a suitable socket which I can use and still draw 3kw from the socket ?

Soldato
The only spec on a smart plug I've seen said 2kW limit. I would hope they're switched with relays so you should be able to find something that can handle more.

But 3kW is a massive heater for a 13A socket. 13A@240V is 3120W, so 3kW is pushing right against the allowed limits. Is that its real power draw?

Soldato
3kW is a normal rating. It’s what the old three bar electric fires were rated at (1kW for each bar switched on). It’s also what my electric kettle is rated at.

I have seen smart plugs rated for 13A but I don’t think I’d trust one that didn’t come from one of the known manufacturers. TP-Link appears to sell a 13A rated plug.

Associate
OP
3kW is a normal rating. It’s what the old three bar electric fires were rated at (1kW for each bar switched on). It’s also what my electric kettle is rated at.

I have seen smart plugs rated for 13A but I don’t think I’d trust one that didn’t come from one of the known manufacturers. TP-Link appears to sell a 13A rated plug.

It's really odd the question answer on amazon says in asnwer to is in suitable for a 3kw heater
No, the maximum load for smart plug is 2.99KW.
default._CR0,0,1024,1024_SX48_.png

TP-LINK UK
Manufacturer · 06 November 2018

Is 10 watts really going to make a difference ?

Soldato
10 Watts is well within the margins of error for this kind of thing.

The spec sheet for the TP-Link I was looking at said 13A. What that translates to in Watts will depend on the voltage.

Edit: the spec sheet for the TP-Link HS100 says it’s rated for 13A 3.12kW.

Last edited:
Soldato
but I don’t think I’d trust one that didn’t come from one of the known manufacturers.
agree

you can view the tp-link spec as imposing 2 separate requirements 2.99KW power and max current 13A, which would, as they maybe intend,
preclude using it for a 3KW fire, so anything ever drawing more than 13A or consuming more than time-averaged 2.99KW ...
email them ? ...
maybe CE/rohas legislation is clearer about interpretation ?

edit: thought sonoff had a 16a one, but aliexpress didn't seem to show it - but on utube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mhbxIvVft0
edit2: or has trump embargod them ?

Last edited:
Soldato
agree

you can view the tp-link spec as imposing 2 separate requirements 2.99KW power and max current 13A, which would, as they maybe intend,
preclude using it for a 3KW fire, so anything ever drawing more than 13A or consuming more than time-averaged 2.99KW ...
email them ? ...
maybe CE/rohas legislation is clearer about interpretation ?

edit: thought sonoff had a 16a one, but aliexpress didn't seem to show it - but on utube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mhbxIvVft0
edit2: or has trump embargod them ?
16A meaning the big round plugs for power tools? British sockets are rated 13A max surely?

Soldato
16A meaning the big round plugs for power tools?
you could use it with such a supply, but moreover it is overspecified (verifiably so - see the the videos) for a higher current&power, so you can confidently wire it into a 13A socket, and even put a multi-adapter on the switched output (per video), with less fear it will burn the house down, or,
that the relay in the device will be prematurely degraded by arc'ing where you are switching devices which have an initial (recative/inductive) current, higher than 13A
My karcher washer, although 13A will take out a 13A fuse, so I have had to put slow blow 13A fuses in its plug, because it surpasses that.

... maybe an electrician will comment ?

Soldato
you could use it with such a supply, but moreover it is overspecified (verifiably so - see the the videos) for a higher current&power, so you can confidently wire it into a 13A socket, and even put a multi-adapter on the switched output (per video), with less fear it will burn the house down, or,
that the relay in the device will be prematurely degraded by arc'ing where you are switching devices which have an initial (recative/inductive) current, higher than 13A
My karcher washer, although 13A will take out a 13A fuse, so I have had to put slow blow 13A fuses in its plug, because it surpasses that.

... maybe an electrician will comment ?
You've shared a video of an inline device, not a socket. Physical sockets are limited by specification to 13A so it's unwise of any manufacturer to imply their product is capable of more, even if the components are specced higher.

I'm an electronic engineer :)

The product you've posted is a good solution so long as OP is capable and happy to install it somewhere.

Associate
you could also look at the Meross smart plugs on Amazon, we have 3 of them and they have been great, work with Google Home or Alexa or just via their own App, just connect to wi-fi with no hub needed. We currently have 2 running lights and a 3rd running a 2.5KW oil filled radiator. Works great. Get the MS310 with the energy monitor built in to see consumption and you can use schedules and auto off timers etc

Associate
OP
10 Watts is well within the margins of error for this kind of thing.

The spec sheet for the TP-Link I was looking at said 13A. What that translates to in Watts will depend on the voltage.

Edit: the spec sheet for the TP-Link HS100 says it’s rated for 13A 3.12kW.

I bought the TP-Link HS100 Wi-Fi Smart Plug and the instructions inside says suitable for up to 1500 watt heater, so I took it back.

Soldato
Those figures in the instructions can’t be maximums. If that was the case why would it only support an 850W toaster when it can support a 1500W heater? Why would it limit fans to 50W?

I think that they may just be listing typical loads for various types of device.

Associate
OP
Those figures in the instructions can’t be maximums. If that was the case why would it only support an 850W toaster when it can support a 1500W heater? Why would it limit fans to 50W?

I think that they may just be listing typical loads for various types of device.

Well as they can't write proper instructions they've lost a sale.

Soldato
I have a high current switching box bought for my grow light (chilli). It has two 13A plugs one for a standard 13A socket timer and the other for drawing the max 13A output current.

Most 13A timers by themselves can’t switch high loads.

Both of my electric oil radiators have an inbuilt timer that can be programmed.

Soldato
They’re only rated at 2990 Watts because they’ll be assuming 230V which the mains in the EU is theoretically supposed to be. In reality our mains is still nearer to 240V as it always was.

Back
Top Bottom