Wii for a 5 & 3 Yr old? Too soon?

Soldato
Hey

So my 5 yr old daughter has expressed an interest in gaming and because monkey see monkey do, so has my 3 Yr old.

I have xbox one and pc but she can't get to grips with the controllers because tiny hands.

I was thinking of getting them a 2nd hand Wii to start them off, maybe upgrading down the line to a Switch.

Pros and cons please?

Associate
Mine has been playing across the range of tablets and consoles since small. Switch is a good bet, more games built for younglings.

Are you looking for pros and cons of different controllers or gaming from a young age?

Associate
When mine started they couldn't properly hold a ps5 or xbox controller, but could operate some of the simpler games anyway. Switch is better when smaller. A 7 or 8 year old doesn't have much trouble with regular controllers other than dripping them when jumping around the room (full body workout while gaming).

As for younglings gaming, very much your call as a parent. They have a number of positives around dexterity, coordination, problem solving etc. Need to balance that against the opportunity cost of other things. Every child is different.

Soldato
OP
When mine started they couldn't properly hold a ps5 or xbox controller, but could operate some of the simpler games anyway. Switch is better when smaller. A 7 or 8 year old doesn't have much trouble with regular controllers other than dripping them when jumping around the room (full body workout while gaming).

As for younglings gaming, very much your call as a parent. They have a number of positives around dexterity, coordination, problem solving etc. Need to balance that against the opportunity cost of other things. Every child is different.

They both have tablets but they're used primarily as in-car screens on long journeys.

The aim really is just to improve dexterity and hand/eye beyond tapping a screen.

Gaming wise if one wants to watch I keep away from the more mature content games but on one or more occasion one of the cheeky blighters has snook out of bed whilst I'm fully invested in a round of COD.

Associate
Gaming wise if one wants to watch I keep away from the more mature content games but on one or more occasion one of the cheeky blighters has snook out of bed whilst I'm fully invested in a round of COD.
"Why did that man's head explode?" :eek:

At least it wasn't sniper elite.

Mine really liked the remastered parappa the rappa recently although didn't give it a second look a couple of years ago.

Soldato
Look at a Wii U also. Potential to play games on the tablet itself to free up the TV in the same room if somebody else wants to use the TV. Not to mention it's fully back-compat with Wii games. A lot of first party Switch games you will find are also available on Wii U

Mario Kart 8
Super Mario U
DK Tropical Freeze

Just to name a few.

Man of Honour
I got my son started on the Wii when he was about 4(?) playing simple stuff like Wii Sports Resorts (the simpler events), Mario Kart etc. What was really interesting was he learned to steer using the 'wheel' meaning a year or so later when I put him on Forza Horizon 2 or whatever it was he would try to steer by tilting the Xbox controller, it took a while for him to get to grips with using a stick to steer.

I think the Wii is a really good safe environment for younger kids to learn gaming, doesn't rely on online features, cartoon graphics, even just messing about designing Mii characters and picking them up and stuff kept him entertained. Although just keep in mind as I mentioned if they learn to play using motion controls, when you put them on a traditional controller they will struggle initially.

The Switch is worth considering because you can dock it to the TV and detach the joycons to use kind of like Wii controllers anyway. It will just mean you actually have a more modern console and something they can grow into a bit. Since we got a Switch for my son we've not really used the Wii.

Soldato
OP
I got my son started on the Wii when he was about 4(?) playing simple stuff like Wii Sports Resorts (the simpler events), Mario Kart etc. What was really interesting was he learned to steer using the 'wheel' meaning a year or so later when I put him on Forza Horizon 2 or whatever it was he would try to steer by tilting the Xbox controller, it took a while for him to get to grips with using a stick to steer.

I think the Wii is a really good safe environment for younger kids to learn gaming, doesn't rely on online features, cartoon graphics, even just messing about designing Mii characters and picking them up and stuff kept him entertained. Although just keep in mind as I mentioned if they learn to play using motion controls, when you put them on a traditional controller they will struggle initially.

The Switch is worth considering because you can dock it to the TV and detach the joycons to use kind of like Wii controllers anyway. It will just mean you actually have a more modern console and something they can grow into a bit. Since we got a Switch for my son we've not really used the Wii.

A Switch is probably a little down the road to where I'm thinking at the moment. One of the thoughts behind going Wii first is one of cost. Kids being fickle I don't wanna fling £400+ on a Switch and the interest in gaming just being a fad.

Plan being use the Wii as a tester hook and if it takes then splash out

Soldato
A Switch is probably a little down the road to where I'm thinking at the moment. One of the thoughts behind going Wii first is one of cost. Kids being fickle I don't wanna fling £400+ on a Switch and the interest in gaming just being a fad.

Plan being use the Wii as a tester hook and if it takes then splash out

I bought my daughter (6 yo) a second hand Switch V2 model, so not the latest OLED. It's serving her very well, she loves Animal Crossing and is now pretty comfortable playing the game. You can get them at a decent price secondhand. Also the joycons can be used as individual controllers, making two players super simple.

Even cheaper alternative would be the handheld Switch lite, but they have joycons attached to the screen and can't be docked for big screen.

Back
Top Bottom