Wii U

Soldato
Wipeout HD for example runs most of the time at 1920x1080 60fps. The engine is clever enough to drop that resolution down on any frames that need it in order to maintain 60fps to ensure smooth gameplay. Apparently the majority of the time you are in true 1080p.

You just said that Wipeout HD needs to change resolutions on the fly to maintain playability. So you just said that the PS3 aint powerful enough to drive 1080p @ 60hz. I'm sure it can drive 1080p @ 30 or 24hz.

Permabanned
GT5 Prologue doesn't really count as 1080P as we all know that's referred to as 1920x1080 really.

But yeah, a few games certainly can do it. Really though, give me 720P and improved textures/particle effects/anti-aliasing/draw-distance over 1080P any day. On PC it's different as I'm sat so close to the screen.

Associate
you proved my point some indie games that i doubt you ever played. all i was saying is that 1080p is a great thing and console gamers should be excited about it. i dont know how anyone can be offended by that. I own all 3 consoles as well.

please go

it-is-time-to-stop-posting.jpg

Permabanned
you proved my point some indie games and demos that i doubt you ever played. all i was saying is that 1080p is a great thing and console gamers should be excited about it. i dont know how anyone can be offended by that. I own all 3 consoles as well.

1080P is a great thing for PC, because of how close you are to your monitors. (I am a PC gamer mostly, anything below native looks like ass on monitors)

You get the full benefits of the resolution when you're that close to the screen. For console gaming the overwhelming majority are sat at a distance, the benefits are dramatically reduced.

You're not going to notice the difference between 720P and 1080P on a 37" TV when you're sat 6 feet away.

Soldato
GT5 Prologue doesn't really count as 1080P as we all know that's referred to as 1920x1080 really.

But yeah, a few games certainly can do it. Really though, give me 720P and improved textures/particle effects/anti-aliasing/draw-distance over 1080P any day. On PC it's different as I'm sat so close to the screen.

anti-aliasing/draw-distance these are the main ones for me, They can make a game so beautiful texture/lighting wise but if there are jaggies everywhere they might as well not have bothered lol.

Soldato
1080P is a great thing for PC, because of how close you are to your monitors. (I am a PC gamer mostly, anything below native looks like ass on monitors)

You get the full benefits of the resolution when you're that close to the screen. For console gaming the overwhelming majority are sat at a distance, the benefits are dramatically reduced.

You're not going to notice the difference between 720P and 1080P on a 37" TV when you're sat 6 feet away.

another myth that was made up mainly from people that didnt purchase 1080p tvs initially due to the increased cost. i can notice it on my tv easily. same for every person that i have demonstrated the difference.

Soldato
THe Guardian has a hands on report http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/jun/07/wii-u-nintendo-games-console

When looking at the Nintendo Wii U, it's important to remember that when the Wii launched in 2006, some people laughed at the console's intention to "disrupt" gaming.

It didn't look like a disruptive piece of kit – but it was. The proof lies in the fact that Microsoft and Sony subsequently felt obliged to create the Kinect and Move, not to mention the entire generation of people it introduced to video games. But surely it couldn't pull of the same trick again with Wii U?

Oh yes it can. Although there was trepidation mixed in with the excitement when we pitched up at Nintendo's still half-built booth at E3, on the day before the press conference at which it would launch Wii U, for an ultra-exclusive sneak preview of the new console.

Which was conducted in a gloriously cloak-and-dagger manner – a wristband had to be obtained, security insisted we hide our press badge, we were given a lengthy list of questions we couldn't ask, photography and audio-recording devices were strictly banned, and we had to wait outside a demo room sealed by a blast-door that would tax a professional safe cracker.

Upon entering the inner sanctum, Wii U itself, although apparently hooked up to a big screen, initially remained concealed – indeed, the console remained a shadowy presence throughout, partly hidden in a cupboard. What we could see of it resembled a slightly more rounded Wii, but in truth, it looked like a prototype not yet given the benefit of an industrial designer.

We were told that none of the games we would be playing were actual games, but rather tech-demos. And our first glimpse of anything running on the console was emphatically that: a lengthy fly-through in an immaculately constructed virtual Japanese garden, from the viewpoint of various birds, designed to show off Wii U's graphics-processing power.

Which was impressive if not jaw-dropping – on a par with the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, running in full HD, with depth of focus and convincingly modelled water and weather effects. We had established that Wii U will be able to run the sort of third-party titles that currently only make it onto the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, but before long, we began to yearn for some signs of Nintendo's fabled disruptive gameplay.
What the hell is that?

They weren't long in coming. With a theatrical flourish, the new controller was produced. On clapping eyes on it, our initial reaction ran thus. What? The hell? Is that?
Wii U ... and here's the funky new Wii U controller

The controller is one of the strangest bits of kit you will ever see. It basically resembles an unholy mating of a tablet PC and a gamepad. It's huge – you need both hands to grip it – and dominated by a massive, 6.2in touchscreen.

It has two analogue sticks, all the buttons you would expect to find on a gamepad (including two triggers on the back plus two bumpers, which weren't used during the demo), a camera pointing at you and a tiny speaker. It motion-senses like a Wiimote and has a gyro-sensor like the 3DS. The whole shebang basically has most of the elements found in the PlayStation Vita (bar the processor and graphics chips), and is much bigger than Sony's new handheld.

It's clearly not something you can wave around with abandon like the Wiimote, so we initially found it more than a little confusing. Luckily, the chance to experience some proper gameplay was at hand, and the point of the new controller became clearer.

Nintendo had been banging on about how that bizarre piece of design was all about providing new gameplay experiences, and from the off, there was no disputing that it delivers on that count.
Mii Chase

The first tech-demo we played – although it looked suspiciously like a mini-game that you might find in a Wii U version of Wii Play – was called Mii Chase. On entering the room, we had noticed a collection of Wimotes, which seemed odd, but Mii Chase rammed home the message that part of the point of the new controller is about interplay with the familiar remote control.

Mii Chase was an ultra-simple game for up to five people. I would navigate Mario, using the new controller, around a maze-like circular level, while four people equipped with Wiimotes would, after I had been given a head-start, try to chase me down within a certain time. The twist was that they had to share a split-screen on the TV, whereas my screen on the new controller showed a third-person view of my character, plus a top-down map with the whereabouts of my pursuers.

In gameplay terms, this was almost laughably simple, yet the whole experience felt fresh and innovative, as well as fun. The need for the pursuers to co-operate generated a raucous atmosphere, yet the private information communicated by the new controller's screen meant I could stay one step ahead of them.

If you think about it, there are an awful lot of Wiis out there, and if people are going to upgrade to Wii U, they'll be thankful that those Wiimotes, at least, won't become redundant. So to create gameplay from the interplay between the two types of controller could just be a stroke of genius.
Battle Mii

Next up was Battle Mii, in a similar vein to Mii Chase, but somewhat more sophisticated. Battle Mii is a first/third-person shooter, with two people (playing as their Miis) on the ground, armed with a gun and three lives each.

The person with the new controller pilots a hover-ship (equipped with six lives), using the analogue sticks as if piloting a helicopter in a game, while shooting with one trigger and using the other to zoom. Tilting the controller changed your camera view, so you could use that to aim.

Again, the dynamic was Wiimotes versus new controller. There was a Metroid theme to proceedings – the ground-based characters could roll into a ball like Samus – and health and armour power-ups. The gameplay experience was very different according to whether you were on the ground or in the air and, again, Battle Mii felt refreshingly unlike anything we had played before.
Shield Pose

Shield Pose showed that Wii U isn't just about the tension between the new controller and Wiimote-wielding adversaries. It used the new controller on its own, and required no pressing of buttons whatsoever.

The premise was endearingly madcap: a bunch of pirates on three ships – one central, one to the left and one to the right – plus the moon above were firing arrows at you, and you had to use the new controller as a shield. There was a rhythm element, too: you had to raise the new controller from the horizontal at just the right time (on a musical cue), then lower it, also with the rhythm, to shake the arrows off.

The head pirate called which direction the arrows would come from, and after a while you would have to raise the new controller and point it in various directions before shaking off your arrows. Simple, again, but completely original – and there was an endearingly humorous element to the game.
More tech-demos

Our hands-on finished with two more tech-demos. The first, Panorama View, had nothing obvious to do with anything recognisable as a game, but was startling and impressive. It was simply video footage taken from a car driving down a Kyoto city street. Or rather, stitched-together video from several cameras, as you could use the new controller's gyro-sensor to move your viewpoint around, as if you were actually in the moving car – looking up, down behind and around.

The last demo was blandly entitled HD Experience, but it will excite Nintendo fanboys. It was essentially a cut-scene depicting what a Zelda game would look like on Wii U set in a huge, gothic interior, with Link taking on a giant spider-boss.

Nintendo had mapped various functions onto the new controller's touchscreen, such as toggling the lighting between day and night, and scrolling through different camera angles. There was also a map, and you could press a button to switch images between the new controller's screen and the TV screen.

It demonstrated that the new controller's touch-screen can operate much like the touch-screen on a 3DS, letting you access inventory and so on.
So will Wii U eclipse the Wii?

Initial impressions would leave us answering that question with a resounding "Yes". In typical Nintendo fashion, Wii U is one of those objects that you have to get your hands on before you get what it is trying to achieve.
Wii U Nintendo unveils its new Wii U console at the E3 in LA

The new controller is such an odd, unlikely-looking thing that it will undoubtedly generate a wave of early cynicism. But the joyously unusual nature of the gameplay experiences that even a couple of hastily assembled tech-demos can engender bodes more than well.

And its sensible amount of under-the-bonnet grunt (an area in which the underpowered Wii suffered from its inception) gives it much more hardcore appeal than its predecessor.

After the demo was over Nintendo, bless it, treated us to a final element of cloak-and-daggerishness. We were told more facts about Wii U, which had to be read out and transcribed only onto paper.

So here they are: the console itself will run in full HD, via HDMI, but the touchscreen isn't HD. The console has internal Flash memory which can be augmented with "SD Card or USB solutions". It will play optical disks and downloadable content, and will be backwards-compatible with Wii software. And it will launch some time between 1 April and 31 December 2012.

It will be the oddest console ever, and possibly the best, too. Or it may turn out to be a complete cul-de-sac. But one thing is for sure: it won't just be another generic games console.

Permabanned
another myth that was made up mainly from people that didnt purchase 1080p tvs initially due to the increased cost. i can notice it on my tv easily. same for every person that i have demonstrated the difference.

I bought a 1080P TV in 2008, so good job there Einstein.

I'm sure you can notice the difference easily when you're up close, as can I. You totally disregarded my point about distance being the key factor. Congrats on that ignorance.

Associate

I game on a 50" LCD 1080p TV and I can't tell a difference.

Maybe you just want to see a difference so badly you end up convincing yourself there is one?

Soldato
I game on a 50" LCD 1080p TV and I can't tell a difference.

Maybe you just want to see a difference so badly you end up convincing yourself there is one?

are you using a pc or a console? if you are using a console you are gaming at 720p or lower. if you are using a pc and set the resolution to 1080p and you dont see a difference then you need to go to specsavers.

Soldato
Anyways, enough off the 1080p debate. I think with the graphics upgrade from Nintendo is much welcomed. It will bring over more 3rd party devs and better gaming options for people.

Back
Top Bottom