Wii U

Permabanned
are you using a pc or a console? if you are using a console you are gaming at 720p or lower. if you are using a pc and set the resolution to 1080p and you dont see a difference then you need to go to specsavers.

No need for the insult. Vs.

*** Please keep personal remarks to yourself - Thank you ***

On a monitor, that is 1920x1080 native ANY resolution below it is going to look substantially worse.

TVs however, are much, much, much better at scaling. The result is 720P content can look fantastic on 1080P displays.

So yes, on a monitor the difference between 720P and 1080P is night and day. Well done.

Edit: Not sure if it's the consoles themselves that are good at scaling or the TVs but either way playing games at 1280x720 on a 1920x1080 PC monitor looks awful.

Soldato
Not if I'm playing Wipeout HD!

its the only game a ps2 port and it still struggles to keep the resolution. most of the content is ported from ps2 and that is why the ps3 can keep that resolution and 60fps at some times.

On a monitor, that is 1920x1080 native ANY resolution below it is going to look substantially worse.

TVs however, are much, much, much better at scaling. The result is 720P content can look fantastic on 1080P displays.

yes it can but the same content on native 1080p would look much much better. i own a tv and a projector and the scaling is not any better than my monitor. the difference is still huge. there is no magic... try it yourself if you can.

why is it so hard to understand that doubling the pixels gives a great visual boost? doesn't it make sense to you?

Last edited:
Soldato

*** Please keep personal remarks to yourself - Thank you ***

as its the 360/PS3 that does the scaling NOT the TV

unless you set your PS3/360 to 720p even though your TV is 1080p - which would be a bit= silly

Permabanned
as its the 360/PS3 that does the scaling NOT the TV

unless you set your PS3/360 to 720p even though your TV is 1080p - which would be a bit= silly

I put that in my edit before your post. Way to jump the gun.

Displays can scale themselves, hence the confusion.

Associate

So yes, on a monitor the difference between 720P and 1080P is night and day. Well done.

Edit: Not sure if it's the consoles themselves that are good at scaling or the TVs but either way playing games at 1280x720 on a 1920x1080 PC monitor looks awful.

I wonder if it has anything to do pixel densities. Guess it's a topic for another thread.

Also i'm pretty sure he's trolling.

Permabanned
yes it can but the same content on native 1080p would look much much better. i own a tv and a projector and the scaling is not any better than my monitor. the difference is still huge. there is no magic... try it yourself if you can.

The difference will be bigger on a projector because the screen area is much larger. I've already said that distance and screen size are the important factors here.

37", 5 feet back, 1080P vs 720P Blu-Ray is identical. I've tested it myself, either way Band of Brothers was looking fantastic.

Soldato
this thread is great

surely since 99% of TVs/monitors whatever are 1080p now

any new consoles should output their games natively at 1080p with AA - simple as

especially since 99% of the time difference from 720p to 1080p is GPU limitations not CPU limitations

my TVs not a TV anyway - its a monitor/panel :)

Permabanned
this thread is great

surely since 99% of TVs/monitors whatever are 1080p now

any new consoles should output their games natively at 1080p with AA - simple as

especially since 99% of the time difference from 720p to 1080p is GPU limitations not CPU limitations

I think it's a no brainer that the next gen of consoles are all going to be 1080P.

You can get a 1080P TV for like $350 in the US now I think. It's gonna happen.

Soldato
The difference will be bigger on a projector because the screen area is much larger. I've already said that distance and screen size are the important factors here.

37", 5 feet back, 1080P vs 720P Blu-Ray is identical. I've tested it myself, either way Band of Brothers was looking fantastic.

blu ray is different most of the time the bitrate is not enough to display the difference and not the actual resolution. you can edit an old youtube video to 1080p but you wont see a difference it will still be a mess. we are talking about games here which render in real time so keep it on topic.

Soldato
I think it's a no brainer that the next gen of consoles are all going to be 1080P.

You can get a 1080P TV for like $350 in the US now I think. It's gonna happen.

we agree :)

lets just hope this between -gen console can cope-it should do if they've picked the right GPU

Soldato
blu ray is different most of the time the bitrate is not enough to display the difference and not the actually resolution. you can edit make an old youtube to 1080p but you wont see a difference it will still be a mess. we are talking about games here which render in real time so keep it on topic.

wow theres some weird stuffon here - Bluray bitrate is NOT enough for 1080p ?

absolute rubbish

25/30mbits/second for video is plenty for 1080p

Permabanned
blu ray is different most of the time the bitrate is not enough to display the difference and not the actual resolution. you can edit an old youtube video to 1080p but you wont see a difference it will still be a mess. we are talking about games here which render in real time so keep it on topic.

Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

I shall take my leave with this silly 1080P discussion now.

Soldato
me too I'm out

theres some weird (WRONG) pub talk going on in this thread !

you don't think that perhaps when they decided upon a Bluray standard that they'd pick a suitable bitrate for the resolution ? :)

Soldato
wow theres some weird stuffon here - Bluray bitrate is NOT enough for 1080p ?

absolute rubbish

25/30mbits/second for video is plenty for 1080p

sorry i meant to say generally in videos not for bluray. check comparisons on the internet there is still a difference on bluray. however the way games work is completely different there is a huge quality increase. i'm out too. go back to your delusional posts. i just wanted to bring a dose of reality.

Soldato
i meant to say generally in videos not for bluray. check comparisons on the internet there is still a difference on bluray. however the way games work is completely different there is a huge quality increase. i'm out too.

fair enough

lets face it - in summary 1080p should be the standard for any new consoles

any lower is a technical compromise

Caporegime
sorry i meant to say generally in videos not for bluray. check comparisons on the internet there is still a difference on bluray. however the way games work is completely different there is a huge quality increase. i'm out too. go back to your delusional posts. i just wanted to bring a dose of reality.

Games aren't converted from film... Go away.

Soldato
Im looking forward to seeing BF3 on Wii-U and how devs will come up with interesting gameplay ideas using the TabletPad.

Soldato

Thing is your version of reality and everyone elses seems to be very different. There's no point talking facts, when you dont seem to know much about the topic at hand. Your post above about bluray playback and real time rendered gaming just baffled me.... o.O

Back
Top Bottom