Wii U

Soldato
I must have posted 3 times now saying how shocked I am at people's opinions re: graphics, the controller etc.

Just what do people want from Nintendo?

The Wii has been panned for poor graphics, poor 3rd party support etc.

So the Wii U adds graphical capability, possibly native 1080p and now people are saying what's the point, you can't tell etc. So many contradictions.

You've then got muppets moaning about lack of new IPs or innovation, then in the same sentence whinging about gimmicks.

My 2 concerns with this are quite minor:

1) Cost. I don't think I could manage a £300 launch for extra peripherals and the console (and games ofc!) This might be negated by the relative simplicity of the hardware if it's not much more than a souped up 360.

2) Drop off of 3rd party support. Sure, it might get in on cross-platform action now, but what happens in 2/3 years when the next-Box launches?

For now, I'll happily keep playing my PS3 (and Wii) and see where the land lies for the Wii U. I like it, but a few hours of information is not enough at present.

Soldato
I must have posted 3 times now saying how shocked I am at people's opinions re: graphics, the controller etc.

Just what do people want from Nintendo?

The Wii has been panned for poor graphics, poor 3rd party support etc.

So the Wii U adds graphical capability, possibly native 1080p and now people are saying what's the point, you can't tell etc. So many contradictions.

You've then got muppets moaning about lack of new IPs or innovation, then in the same sentence whinging about gimmicks.

My 2 concerns with this are quite minor:

1) Cost. I don't think I could manage a £300 launch for extra peripherals and the console (and games ofc!) This might be negated by the relative simplicity of the hardware if it's not much more than a souped up 360.

2) Drop off of 3rd party support. Sure, it might get in on cross-platform action now, but what happens in 2/3 years when the next-Box launches?

For now, I'll happily keep playing my PS3 (and Wii) and see where the land lies for the Wii U. I like it, but a few hours of information is not enough at present.

it does look good -I agree

my only concern is controller durability in the average family room ...

anything with a large LCD is risky with kids around...and big adults with alcohol too!

my Logitech Harmony One LCD isonly just about surviving (it has some internal LCD flaws now...) - and that LCD is far smaller

Soldato

anything with a large LCD is risky with kids around...and big adults with alcohol too!

my Logitech Harmony One LCD isonly just about surviving (it has some internal LCD flaws now...) - and that LCD is far smaller

Possibly. But if it has the usual Nintendo console durability, it should be fine. It took a very determined 3 year old to break the hinge on my wife's DS.

I wouldn't be leaving it unsupervised with my daughter even at 6 years old. Like I wouldn't an iPad for example. /lesson learnt :D

Soldato

Agreed, one of the winning factors of the Wii was how utterly durable the controller was. A friends much younger brother threw mine full-pelt into a brick wall, not a scratch. Even if a kid did kill it, the cost of replacement was relatively small considering, this however i imagine will be the best part of three figures per controller.

This however, the damn kid ain't coming near it (assuming i buy it that is)

Soldato
Possibly. But if it has the usual Nintendo console durability, it should be fine. It took a very determined 3 year old to break the hinge on my wife's DS.

I wouldn't be leaving it unsupervised with my daughter even at 6 years old. Like I wouldn't an iPad for example. /lesson learnt :D

thats true

and agreed Nintendo stuff in past has been very durable - so whose to say this won't be

we'll wait and see I suppose

Caporegime
Who gives two shiny pokemon about the performance when you have to hold a dinner tray to play the bloody thing...

Agreed, I am still not sure if that controller is a wind up.

"Playing the #WiiU right now. Really light, crazy ergonomic, and screen looks great. No tech specs released at #GTE3 according to nintendo."

It might be quite wide but this encouraging, no?

Ergonomic my backside, how do you hit the trigger bumper things on the top. Or as that why they are saying this is a multiplayer experience because you have to have a friend hit the buttons you can't reach or have hand like king kong.

I look forward to player some of nintendos bloatware on this. This thread reminds me, I need to get the wii and wii fit and all the other pap I bought on ebay. My mrs has used it for all of 10 hours in 4 years. :mad:

Soldato
Apparently you can only use one pad per console and upto 4 wiimotes. Limits multi player options a little but it keeps system total costs down too.

Soldato
OP
11t8yth.jpg

Associate
The thing i find most annoying with the xbox/ps3 is not the resolution as much as the draw distance and reflections but there not enough info as present especially as they game demos where not rendered on the wii u.

Soldato
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/ibm-puts-watsons-brains-in-nintendo-wii-u/

Nintendo's new console, the Wii U, was finally unveiled to the world today at E3 2011, and we got a glimpse of its graphical prowess at the company's keynote. Details were scarce about the IBM silicon Nintendo's new HD powerhouse was packing, but we did some digging to get a little more info. IBM tells us that within the Wii U there's a 45nm custom chip with "a lot" of embedded DRAM. It's a silicon on insulator design and packs the same processor technology found in Watson, the supercomputer that bested a couple of meatbags on Jeopardy awhile back. Unfortunately, IBM wouldn't give us the chip's clock speeds, but if it's good enough to smoke Ken Jennings on national TV, we imagine it'll do alright against its competition from Sony and Microsoft.

Soldato
Ergonomic my backside, how do you hit the trigger bumper things on the top. Or as that why they are saying this is a multiplayer experience because you have to have a friend hit the buttons you can't reach or have hand like king kong.

I look forward to player some of nintendos bloatware on this. This thread reminds me, I need to get the wii and wii fit and all the other pap I bought on ebay. My mrs has used it for all of 10 hours in 4 years. :mad:

:o

Thanks for letting us know; both about your own personal gaming experience on the Wii U (from E3 I assume?? ;)) and about the awful Wii. It's appreciated! :p

Back
Top Bottom