Wileyfox Swift 2

Soldato
It's the first Wileyfox I've tried, but Amazon had it at £119 for some kind of Easter deal, so I thought it worth a look.

Generally it doesn't seem too bad for the price. It reminds me a little of the original Moto G (although not as good) in that it's nice and smooth, but with a terrible camera. Speaker is a little weak but build quality is surprisingly good.

It should be getting stock Android to replace CM13 in the next month or so and that could make it even more interesting for some.

Soldato
Got the predecessor to this for my other half and it has been a fantastic value phone, handled all the simple games she plays easily and just generally has never given much hassle. Survived some fairly inconsiderate handling which put the nails into the coffin of the Galaxy S2 she was using before that.

Soldato
OP
As I say in my video, I really don't see an issue with a 720p screen on a 5" device. My monitors are only 1080p over 27" and are fine...

Also, battery life is very good. 2,700 for a 5" 720p screen does just fine. My only concern is the camera really.

I guess to answer your question, the attraction is I paid £119 for a smooth, slick, well made phone that will soon be running stock Android.

Soldato
bought one about a month ago when they were on offer for £109, decent little phone but camera was too bad so sent it back, I also found the battery life pretty poor on mine also which is a shame as otherwise I was pretty happy with it, however when you look on amazon there seems to be an awful lot of used (returned) ones

Soldato
^^ is that an OTA update from them?

Has anyone found a decent case for theirs yet? I've had some from the usual places and they're atrocious... I'm living in hope that Nillkin or someone start producing accessories. Not holding out much hope though :(

beh

beh

Associate
Just bought and setup one for a relative. Very impressed by the quality and features. Got stock (ish) android OTA which seems fine.

I was hoping the price would drop again but even for £140 it's great value.

Soldato
Hmm seems the update includes Yandex Zen which includes a few privacy issues: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/696dre/warning_to_all_wileyfox_owners_your_location_data/

2EyedRaven

Holy [bad word]! I hope this gets more attention, kudos /u/CXgamer!

2.2. Upon using the Service, or any of its separate functions, the User is considered to have accepted these Terms in full, without any reservations or omissions. If the User does not agree with any of the provisions of the Terms, the User may not use the Service.

If only it was that easy, Wileyfox!

4.1. The User hereby acknowledges and agrees that in the course of using the Service, the following personal data of the User will automatically and anonymously be disclosed to Yandex: the type of operating system used by the User’s device, statistics on the use of certain functions of the Service, the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the User’s device, the User’s geolocation data, data on the WI-FI networks available to the User, cookie information, information required to display the Links and to display advertising materials (including the browsing history) and any other technical information required to provide the Service (“Data”).

4.2. The Data may be collected, stored and processed by Yandex in compliance with the principles of Swiss data protection laws, i.e., The Data will only be processed lawfully, proportionately, in good faith and for the purposes mentioned here in these Terms. The Data may also be transferred to, stored and processed by Yandex’s Affiliates in any manner, to the extent that such communication and use are permitted under their locally applicable laws, and the User hereby agrees to the transfer of the Data to Yandex’s Affiliates. Please note that the jurisdictions in which Yandex’s Affiliates are located might not always provide the same level of data protection as Switzerland. In the event of any such disparities, Yandex will enter into data transfer agreements with the data-receiving Yandex’s Affiliates abroad in order to ensure that Yandex’s Affiliates adhere to Swiss data protection standards.

4.4. Yandex may also display third-party advertisements in the Service (such as Facebook’s Audience Network advertisements , but without limitation to the foregoing). In such cases, third-party advertising providers and advertisers may receive the Data and use it in accordance with the privacy policies of third-party advertising providers.

Emphasis is mine.

It's a system app so you can't disable/uninstall it the normal way, but on the Reddit thread someone mentioned disabling via adb should work.

EDIT: And someone has tried but there's no visible package for them to disable, so it's hidden somewhere.

Last edited:
Associate
Not the same phone, but I bought the wileyfox storm on release 18 months ago, it's not been the best phone tbh, had quite a few software issues for the first 6 months, with atrocious battery life and no way of debugging which app was causing it as the battery life indicator was not reporting anything! The software kind of got better after a few ota updates to the point where it wouldn't mysteriously drain its battery in 6 hours in the carpark at work.

Anyway I wouldn't buy another phone from wileyfox, i dropped the phone 6 weeks ago, minor crack across the screen, LCD still worked fine but the digitizer has had it. Anyway I sent a support ticket and asked for them to repair the screen. I posted it recorded delivery and they have now had it for over 6 weeks, nobody can tell me whats going on with it, I only get a response after poking them several times and the response has always been "it can take 2-3 weeks for a repair and engineer will contact you".

Utterly useless, there isn't even a phone number on their website so I can't even speak to somebody in person, I'm pretty much on the cusp of telling them to stuff the repair and send it back and going off and buying a moto G5 instead!

Avoid.

Back
Top Bottom