• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will 4gb ram bottleneck a 650ti?

Soldato
my system is at its limit in terms of ram so I will always be restricted by that which is fine, but obviously I don't want my cx600 to go to waste nor get a silly priced card that be wasted and tomorrow I was going to travel 1.5hrs to get some unknown system with a 7750 for £30, however someone closer has offered me a gtx Qleadtek 650ti for £30, so don't know what best option to take.

I haven't done anything with my system other than general as the 5450 is no gaming card and it's a fanless Low profile version and so I'm itching to see how poorly Mortal Kombat X runs(heard its unoptimised) and see if Anno 2205 runs well enough.

the plus to the system option is the 7750 for a temp status to game and to check what motherboard/processor it has to compare with mine plus it has some no brand 450w I could fit the 5450 In with and sell on the system and the 650ti option is for longer term, better gaming experience potential and don't have to travel far to get it, There isn't much options coming up for good cards at good prices that I can buy on the spot that won't be crippled or too crippled by my system memory limit, mean there's a gtx 460 1gb for £20, just don't know.

Associate
I wouldn't spend £30 of my own money on a GTX 650 Ti. NVIDIA just isn't supporting these cards with performance or feature improvements in the drivers. AMD has been a lot better at supporting older cards like the HD7750 with better drivers over time.

That said the HD7750 is a bit of an odd card. There are the DDR3 versions which are terrible for gaming. The more expensive HD7750 cards had GDDR5 and were unable to really fully utilize it. I have a HD7770 1GB GDDR5 in my old system. Amazingly it still performs OK for the most part at 1080p when you lower the settings as its a fair bit quicker then the HD7750. Though even more modest games will creep over 1GB and tank your framerate at times.

Not sure its worth recommending a current generation card as you would probably be looking at a system rebuild with new CPU/Motherboard/RAM to get the most performance out of them.

Try keeping your eye out for a second hand GTX750 Ti. That would probably be the best match for the rest of your system. There are 2GB and 4GB versions. Worth keeping in mind as I've seen them priced similarly in the past.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for reply, I am a bit skepticle about spending 30 on that 650ti, would rather buy that system for the 7750 and benefit from resale of the rest however I am trying to blag a 5850 for half the cost that's even closer to home and while there is a evga 750ti 2gb I think for £55, I have had a few of the 750 variant and fancy something different that my cx600 will power, with my haswell I had, an OC 750 1gb and i3 4160 ran games at 768 res smooth as butter, but I also had 16gb ram, this time I'm using 1920x1080 monitor and have quarter of the ram.

my main focus is Anno 2205 and checking out MKX, maybe I will install the division and RB6S for any updates, but not really wanting to get back in to those just my old disc games, only for not from online and the 2 I mentioned, playing Xbox more to play hence budget system.

I found some thermal paste amongst my things so there's nothing wrong with me finding a decent motherboard that supports my quad still while offering 8gb ram limit to better my options, but think I will get the gpu first so I can make my system more useful in its current state

Associate
There are lots of tests that show that there's no difference between 8gb and 16gb of ram for gaming for the vast majority of titles, then a few months ago I found a very thorough test that also included 4gb ram. Surprisingly, this only showed a reduction in performance of 2-3% on average. This was with current graphics cards. So go for whatever GPU you want and just keep it for your next build. In some ways, your computer just fills what ram is available, but it still does surprisingly well when you've exhausted available ram.

Edit: found one, not the one I came across a while ago, but this works
https://www.techspot.com/article/1043-8gb-vs-16gb-ram/page3.html
That's run on a GTX980 and there's almost zero difference in performance, even with Chrome using up 2gb of ram with 65 tabs open.

Don
I am trying to blag a 5850 for half the cost that's even closer to home and while there is a evga 750ti 2gb I think for £55, I have had a few of the 750 variant and fancy something different that my cx600 will power, with my haswell I had, an OC 750 1gb and i3 4160 ran games at 768 res smooth as butter

I wouldn't bother with the 5850 either - it draws more power and the drivers are no longer updated.

Personally I think 750ti's are overpriced for what they are, 7850s are normally the same price (or cheaper than a 750ti on the MM), but generally perform better.

On the mention of 7770's, I picked one up at the weekend for £28 to use as a second card, and it will definitely be better than a 650ti - just a case of right place/right time etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
thanks for replies.

i dont know what to decide on really, im not worried too much about driver updates, i still use windows 7 and MKX & Anno 2205 are atleast 2 more modern games that spec a gtx 400/hd5000 series as minimum although i was on the games-debate can you run it bit for anno 2205 and the gtx 570 beats all i suggested even a 6950 making that the better card on that prospective and can have one for £40 or less, i tried to get a 6870 for a tenner off the bay, but its classed as untested even though i found it to be sold buy a person running their own pc repair shop(from home i think) lol and moments ago i saw a 1060 3gb dual OC asus for £100, but that goes beyond my initial budget, im trying to keep it around £100 mark for total spend though have gone over it as such with this beauty

which i got yesterday for £35(sellers replacement, but cheap because its registered to them and they fitted a 650w version in the time of arrival), so will see what i can get for my cx600, but i think the gtx 570 is what im after without knowing what will be better, its only a budget 775 build after all, i dont need to go too crazy.

Soldato
You can still click through to see them btw.

4GB is still enough at a push.

P.s. I managed to play Planetside 2 on low settings averaging 70+ fps with an HD 4870 512mb card, and Lego Jurassic Park played brilliantly on it as well even with such an old card.

The bells and whistles really suck the cards dry a lot of the time., A low end card will still be ok.if you compromise.

Back
Top Bottom