• Competitor rules

    Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will a 5870 burn a hole in your pocket or can you wait?

Associate
Joined
30 Nov 2008
Posts
930
Location
Newquay
Well after the recent demise of my 939 setup sniff :(, I went all out and brought all the new gear listed in my signature. The only thing im missing is the 5870 :/, so for the mean time I'll have to put up with the cranky whir of my 4 year old iceq 3 pack on the x1900xt :rolleyes:

I got enough money left over to get one of these cards on pre order right now, but how criminaly insane do I have to be to do exacty what I did 4 years ago when i got the 1900 for £370.
Very is the question I asked myself, I was expecting the launch to be around £250 mark and since seeing the hefty £300 price tag its prob not gonna happen till they drop :(

Does anyone know what near future releases will effect the price of these monsters, maybe the nvida release or something, Im hoping in the next month and a half or I might do something silly like release my twitchy impulse finger on the submit button.

coincidently does anyone know how much I'll get for a kidney :p
 
Soldato
Joined
9 Nov 2004
Posts
13,984
Location
Pembrokeshire
It's burning a whole in mine at the moment and I'm skint as heck right now.

Hopefully will get some cash from the sale of a house soon... so hoping to pay off some debts and build a new i7 setup :)
 
Associate
Joined
16 Sep 2009
Posts
654
Location
London
tbh after reading quite a lot of the forum in regards to ATI 58xx i've changed my mind completely. i'm going to stick with mine, until it gets weak.
 
Associate
Joined
31 Dec 2008
Posts
1,400
i'm going to wait - i dont think it would be wise to splash out on a 5870 until nvidia releases there cards, especially as the 5870x2 will be out in like a month too
 
Associate
Joined
14 Mar 2009
Posts
785
Think i'm going to wait till Dec/Jan time then i'll buy with or without nvidia turning up to the party. Don't really want a noisy standard coooler any way.
 
Soldato
Joined
25 Sep 2008
Posts
6,767
Location
Orsett, Essex
I'm not so bothered about it i have a 4870x2 sitting on my desk for 4 months now don't use it so i doubt i will bother with this release, i got my x2 on launch day and wont be buying another graphics card on launch day as it just hurts your wallet to much to have the biggest e-peen
 
Soldato
Joined
16 Dec 2008
Posts
4,024
Location
Lincolnshire
yeah, not really much point as far as i can see, if you game at a high res i could see why you would buy one, but the dx11 thing dosn`t mean much at the moment and by the time it does the cards should be loads cheaper, thats when i will be emptying my pockets, unless the top end nvidia now come down in price then i might be tempted by one of them.
 
Caporegime
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
33,188
The 5870x2 is sounding more like 2-3 months away, with an outside shot of a 5890 somewhere but I highly doubt that as a lot of people will be peeved to have not bought the best thing.

I think 5870x2's and even possibly the 5890 will happen when yields are up dramatically, though that could be an IF they go up dramatically. Right now 2x5870's is a lot of power to put on one card, they have options like 2x5850's on the card instead, or lower clocks to drop power. But better yields, higher quality silicon will bring the power down aswell. Which opens up 2x lower powered 5870's for a 5870x2, and also a single higher clocked 5890 with more stable higher clocks than they can achieve now.

Basically everyones waiting on TSMC, as Nvidia aren't releasing till they have better yields either, and they are very unlikely to launch anything this year.
 
Associate
Joined
25 Aug 2008
Posts
1,012
Location
York, UK
Hmmm, I'm torn what to do then, as I am in the process of picking parts for my new i7 build......which gfx card is my hardest choice tbh.

I will be aiming for high res gaming, and was hoping the x2 might be out within a month.....but doesn't seem likely.

Any advice?
 
Associate
Joined
20 Aug 2009
Posts
1,192
Location
Local to someone
Think I will wait for the vapor-x 5870 or 5850/5870x2 to be released but will be looking to buy before VAT increase in January just so Gordon doesn't get anymore of my hard earned cash

Although if OCUK had had stock when I looked on launch day then I would likely be in possesion of a 5870 right now

Just glad I ddin't go out and buy the Asus Xonar Slim a few weeks back seeing as 5 series cards can decode protected audio codecs anyway

Money saved for new card right away!
 
Soldato
Joined
1 Jul 2007
Posts
18,000
Location
Various
I've got the same problem, come early next week I'll have a shiny i5 rig with a 3850!!! I'm going to wait and see what prices are like when I get hold of Win 7 retail at the end of October...if prices have dropped I'll buy, if they haven't I'll buy, if there's talk of a drop soon I'll wait!

That said if I see a 4890 going disgustingly cheap in the MM I'll probably pick it up and wait a few months to upgrade to the 5870...
 
Last edited:
Associate
Joined
13 Aug 2009
Posts
39
There is always something just around the corner which will probably be better or cheaper, I'd just bite the bullet if you feel you're really going to benefit.
 
Associate
Joined
29 Aug 2006
Posts
867
Location
South London
I have asked OCUK directly regarding the release of the 5870x2. The response was pretty straight forward and not all that informative however. They stated that an NDA was still in place surrounding its details and that a stipulation of it was that the date of when the NDA is to be lifted isn't allowed to be reveled either.

Tbh, this is a somewhat better scenario than simply saying that they don't know anything about it at all. If there's an NDA in force is would suggest that the 5870x2's appearance is going to be relatively soon. I don't want a 5870, I am willing to wait at least a month to get my hands on the x2!
 
Man of Honour
Joined
25 Oct 2002
Posts
30,483
Location
Hampshire
For people with crossfire boards it's tough to justify £300 on a 5870 when you can get a faster solution (2x 4890) for around £250, although obviously the power/space/heat/driver issues of a multi-gpu setup need consideration.

In fact while the 5870 is a great card you really have to look at the situation and say is it really THAT much better than a 4890. If I was buying a new card today (I'm not, because I'm happy with my year old GTX280 @ £240) then I would get the 4890, not the 5870.
 
Associate
Joined
8 Apr 2009
Posts
1,666
Location
Manchester
I was going to order a 5870 today then backed off and I thought I would wait a month or so by then Windows 7 will be here and we will start seeing dx11 games too
 
Soldato
Joined
8 Dec 2004
Posts
14,675
Location
Hampshire
Yet another 5870 thread (which manufacturer?)

I was just wondering which card to go for? Was thinking about the Sapphire but I presume theyre all the same?
 
Associate
Joined
13 Aug 2009
Posts
39
but 5870 in crossfire is better still! :p I've come to the conclusion that there is little point trying to rationally justify upgrades on these forums... why have cotton when you can have silk and all that. Personally I am hoping the 5850 or maybe 5770 (if there is to be one) in crossfire is going to be the sweet spot and will run all but the multi monitor uber set ups quite happily. Those obsessed with measurebation will always measurebate.
 
Top Bottom