Will a new EU directive stop us repairing older cars?

Associate
I got bored very quickly..

Will this apply to the UK as we are no longer part of EU?

I'm not sure it will come to fruition, there is a multi billion industry based on car repairs, many of which exceed the value of the car, but tend to be less than purchasing a replacement car.

Associate
As far as I can gather, the EU is looking at definitions of outdated cars etc.

And some social media have spun it into "OMG they're going to ban repairing cars", which is pretty standard for EU-related freak outs.

The reality is that drafting laws is extremely difficult, a lot of pressure groups, companies and political parties will have different ideas about what things should say, and they'll go back and forth for a long time figuring out what should be in there.

In the meantime, someone will pick up one suggestion from one of those groups, with a good chance they'll misunderstand it as well, and turn it into a story to stir up some drama.

Then you've got a tonne of controversy about a law that never even existed.

I really doubt this would happen. Some degree of right to repair seems likely... will there be more consideration about how to reduce the numbers of polluting cars? Maybe, but it's a problem that will largely fix itself, so yeah I'm doubting.

Last edited:
Soldato
They did want to ban modifications a while back, which would screw over classic owners as you often can't get OEM parts anymore.

The EU does come up with a lot of dumb and poorly thought out ideas ideas.

Last edited:
Soldato
Due to some regulation that came in while we were still a member state?

I would have thought it was more that they build cars to meet EU regs and just sell them across multiple destinations with the same build standard instead of having local variations unless local laws prohibit such things like certain headlights in the US for instance

Last edited:
Commissario
I would have thought it was more that they build cars to meet EU regs and just sell them across multiple destinations with the same build standard instead of having local variations unless local laws prohibit such things like certain headlights in the US for instance
Could well be, I'm only speculating.

Permabanned
:cry: How would anyone stop you maintaining your car exactly? Not like parts have individual quantity numbers on them, hell hardly any bother with part numbers! How would they know when a parts been replaced exactly.

If it passes an MOT and isn't rotten, why would they ban/stop you using it?

What a load of nonsense!

Soldato
:cry: How would anyone stop you maintaining your car exactly? Not like parts have individual quantity numbers on them, hell hardly any bother with part numbers! How would they know when a parts been replaced exactly.

If it passes an MOT and isn't rotten, why would they ban/stop you using it?

What a load of nonsense!
EU G-Men will be stationed at all parts stores and workshops who will interrogate and detain anyone daring to attempt unauthorised vehicle repairs.

Back
Top Bottom