Will adding an additional rad improve temps drastically?

Associate
I'm currently running a single 360 rad to cool a 6850K and 1080Ti and they can get a little toasty, especially when the weather is hot. Will adding another 280 in the front have a big impact on temps? Would you guys say it's worth the additional cost?

Associate
More Rad's the lower the temps. I have had to use 360, 240 & 120 to keep my delid 7700k & sli 1080's under 50 degrees. Was hitting 75+ with just a 360

Associate
OP
More Rad's the lower the temps. I have had to use 360, 240 & 120 to keep my delid 7700k & sli 1080's under 50 degrees. Was hitting 75+ with just a 360
Max temps are 55C on a 6850K and 1080Ti, or down to 45ish if I get the top modded. Think I might be better to spend the money on the top mod!

Use ek config to give you idea on WATER temps :)
Great idea!
EDIT: Just done this and the configurator estimates liquid temps at around 35C, and says as long as it's below 50 it's fine so I think I'm all good!

Last edited:
Soldato
Max temps are 55C on a 6850K and 1080Ti, or down to 45ish if I get the top modded. Think I might be better to spend the money on the top mod!

Great idea!
EDIT: Just done this and the configurator estimates liquid temps at around 35C, and says as long as it's below 50 it's fine so I think I'm all good!

bare in mind you have to factor in your room/amb temp. getting it to 10c or lower is whats a perfect set up. also more rad space = slower spinning fans

Soldato
If you have some spares you could try testing a layer of fans on the existing rad in push pull, if airflow is a problem could help you out.

Also an option to swap the existing rad for a thicker one if it is of the slimmer flavour...

Associate
OP
I'd prefer not to get a thicker rad. The one I have is 40mm and it's in the roof of the Evolv ATX so it hangs pretty low as it is. Think I'm gonna enquire about the top mod for the case first and see how I get on with that.

Once again, though, thanks for all the suggestions and help!

Associate
Only issue that you can come across is that the bigger the setup, the more water it has to pump and so the pump gets put under more pressure.
its very minimal but just something to consider.

Thats why it's sometimes good practice to run two pumps in a very large loop, also serves as a backup incase one goes down :)

Soldato
Thats why it's sometimes good practice to run two pumps in a very large loop, also serves as a backup incase one goes down :)

Not necessarily.

If you have 2 pumps, they need to both be pumping the same liquid, at the same speed, same pressure, they must be working absolutely in sync with each other.

If one is running even a little bit slower or faster than the other, then there will be a lot of presure on the other to keep up, and of course that also means that the first one is then having to work that much harder because of the weaker one.

I am of course being completely inorant in saying this as I honestly dont know, however, I will admit that in my house, in the radiator system, as the house is quite big and tere are lots of rooms, I do in fact have 3 pumps that pump the water hrough the radiator pipes etc, but I alos know that one one is in control, the other 2 are merely slave pumps.. again, showing my ignorance, I dont truly know how that works... I can imagine but if its how they are doing it, I dont know? - Maybe a PC cooling setup will be the same?

But the pump in an AIO system is only a tiny little thing, while a proper pump is a great deal bigger and surely stronger and will be able to take a great deal bigger setup surely?

Associate
Not necessarily.

If you have 2 pumps, they need to both be pumping the same liquid, at the same speed, same pressure, they must be working absolutely in sync with each other.

If one is running even a little bit slower or faster than the other, then there will be a lot of presure on the other to keep up, and of course that also means that the first one is then having to work that much harder because of the weaker one.

I am of course being completely inorant in saying this as I honestly dont know, however, I will admit that in my house, in the radiator system, as the house is quite big and tere are lots of rooms, I do in fact have 3 pumps that pump the water hrough the radiator pipes etc, but I alos know that one one is in control, the other 2 are merely slave pumps.. again, showing my ignorance, I dont truly know how that works... I can imagine but if its how they are doing it, I dont know? - Maybe a PC cooling setup will be the same?

But the pump in an AIO system is only a tiny little thing, while a proper pump is a great deal bigger and surely stronger and will be able to take a great deal bigger setup surely?
Its not a Mars land rover mission, its just water pumped through some pipes. If they are running at roughly the same speed, you will be fine.

Soldato
Its not a Mars land rover mission, its just water pumped through some pipes. If they are running at roughly the same speed, you will be fine.

Ignorant mode = ON ( LOL )
Just some water?
Just some water carved out the grand canyon!
And yes, it IS a Mars rover mission!
Ignorant mode = OFF

No, of course not, I did say, so two pumps that are the same spec will be fine, but just putting 2 pumps onto it and hoping for the bets is not really a good idea!
Pumps are different. they do different volumes at different powers, so just slapping on a second pump and thinking it will be sweet, is not a good idea.

If the pumps are different specs then they will fight against each other and they fight and kill themselves.

Soldato
Adding another rad will probably aid in lower temps, I used to run a 480 / 360 and a 240. For testing I removed the 240 and the temps in the loop raised 2c . Making the 240 pretty much redundant.

Back
Top Bottom