Will I be able to upgrade my copy of Windows 7 (OEM) to 8 on Friday?

Man of Honour
Of course you can, it's no different than buying the upgrade version from a shop. Apart from you have to make your own DVD/usb stick

Associate
Cool, I take it ill need to supply the current cd key in use when I purchase the upgrade? If I bought 3 upgrades, would I have to make sure the correct new key is used with each machine?

Sorry for the noob questions, never actually bought in upgrade before...

Man of Honour
Anyone know if you need Windows XP/Vista/7 installed to actually get the key / download it / start the install (i.e. verify you are a valid user for upgrade) etc? Reason I ask is I am running Win8 Release Preview but have a legitimate Win7 license I want to upgrade without going through the hassle of having to install it on some different hard drive etc for the sole purpose of doing a Win8 install.

Bit concerning if you don't have to supply keys at purchase as makes me wonder how it knows you are eligible or can I just whack my key in when installing Win8?

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone know if you need Windows XP/Vista/7 installed to actually get the key / download it / start the install (i.e. verify you are a valid user for upgrade) etc? Reason I ask is I am running Win8 Release Preview but have a legitimate Win7 license I want to upgrade without going through the hassle of having to install it on some different hard drive etc for the sole purpose of doing a Win8 install.

Bit concerning if you don't have to supply keys at purchase as makes me wonder how it knows you are eligible or can I just whack my key in when installing Win8?

Is like to know this too if anyone has any info?

Back
Top Bottom