Will Michael Owen still be a 'toon' player next season?

Associate
As the title says, lets discuss this everyone please :)

My personal opinion is divided at the moment, my heart says yes(with me being a toon fan), but my head says no, I think someone will come in with a big offer for him and our 'friendly' chairman will cash in :(

What are all your opinions on this?

Bry.

Associate
Mate I think you're dreaming big time. Why the hell would any club, let alone a big one, want to buy a player who has been crocked going on 2 seasons now, AND pay big money for him? Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea wont want him. He'll do well to stay at Newcastle IMO.

Soldato
A cut price move may be on the cards but I don't see why anyone would spend big money on him considering his injury problems over the last 2 seasons.

Associate
OP
When I say 'big offer', anything over 5m seems big to the toon :(

I do agree with what your saying about his injury problems etc but he is in the prime of his career, injuries aside and I just cannot see him staying somewhere where he has absolutely no chance of winning anything.

Like I said in my first post, I really do hope he stays, not just for the remainder of his contract but for the rest of his career. I think given time and further spending by the toon we can get back to where we were under Keegan and Owen can/will be a big part of it.........hopefully.

Bry.

Consigliere
I think he'll stay. Sure he has played quite a few games for Newcastle but being injured for such a long time, i reckon he'll feel the need to prove himself to the fans and to the club. Newcastle have stood by him so far and i'm sure he's grateful.

Soldato
Demon[KcsF] said:
When I say 'big offer', anything over 5m seems big to the toon :(

Considering how much you paid for him, anything less than 10 million has to be considered cut price. Although I can see your point of view.

Soldato
Depends on if he can get some kind of travel situation sorted I guess. Must be hard commuting from North Wales to Newcastle day in day out (when's he fit). I suspect if he does move it will be a small cash sum up front with the majority of the fee based on appearances and how well Newcastle progress in various competitions.

Associate
Unless we recieve a silly bid I expect him to be with us next season. As pointed out none of the top 4, with the possible exception of those lovely people from liverpool, will bid for him, and out of the rest of the league no other team would be a step up.

Last edited:
Soldato
i think he'll stay, he'll be seen as a bit of a **** if he walks away in summer.

The only reason he went to Newcastle was because he had to get away from Madrid and the toon were the only ones who put in a serious offer. I'm guessing his plan was to play a season, impress people and get a move back to a bigger club, but obviously that didn't work out. So as it stands he needs to get a full season under his belt if Newcastle are going to get any return on whatever he cost them in the first place.

Jet

Jet

Soldato
As if we would sell Owen for £5 million. There are absolutely no reasons I can think of as to why he wouldn't be playing for us next season. After watching numerous interviews on Newcastle world he seems perfectly happy and judging how well he played last season he will walk back into the team.

What has led you to believe otherwise?

Caporegime
I dont believe he will leave. They will go through the motions til they admit it's all over and they claim off the insurance. He had lost most of his pace through previous injuries. He was never that sharp before his last injury.

Sad but I dont think he will ever get near world class again. Too much too young.

Soldato
He'll stay, no doubt whatsoever in my mind.

2 reasons. First of all, as someone has already said, who is going to bid for a player who has just done his knee ligaments? Any clubs that may have been interested would at the very least hold off for 6 months to see how he is when he comes back.

Also, Owen seems to me like the kind of person who has the integrity to want to pay back the club who have helped him (and still payed him) through a career threataning injury. For him to leave as soon as he gets fit would be extremely low, I don't think it would just be Newcastle fans that would think less of him.

Soldato
probably a year too late for this comment but if you hadn't paid crazy money for him in the first place you wouldn't be looking at taking such a big financial hit.

i doubt he'll go, i can see someone like spurs tempting him away but he should be heavily under contract, if newcastle allowed some silly clause that allows him to leave on the cheap then its more fool them i think, bad ownership.

Caporegime
I dont think they do pay him do they? I think when injured on international duty F.A insurance pays the wages. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that in a paper after his injury.

I cant see him leaving newcastle for atleast 12 months if he does play again.

Apart from a carling cup medal does owen actually have any major honours?

Incredible for a player of his talent. I dont think he ever scored 20 league goals in a season either did he.

How he must regret that Real Madrid move.

Soldato
dannyjo22 said:
I dont think they do pay him do they? I think when injured on international duty F.A insurance pays the wages. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that in a paper after his injury.
Yeah maybe, I wasn't too sure on that point. :)

Permabanned
I think that Owen will definately stay. I think him and Oba would be a fantastic pairing up front. Why do people think hes ready to leave? There has been no suggestion in the press whatsoever.

As said earlier, apart from the top four, I don't believe any other English team to be a step up from Newcastle so why would he leave?

Paul

Back
Top Bottom