Will Michael Owen still be a 'toon' player next season?

Soldato
dannyjo22 said:
I dont think they do pay him do they? I think when injured on international duty F.A insurance pays the wages. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that in a paper after his injury.

That's not strictly true. FA's insurers are only paying around 50% of Owen's wages, see here for more information.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Burned_Alive said:
I cant see anyone coming in for him at all, Liverpool certainly wont now. Id put money on Owen getting injured within 3 months of coming back.

After seeing how Dyer has been sorted out by Roeder and the other staff, I actually have high hopes that Owen will get back to his best. I know it's still early days for Dyer, but he is looking like a quality player again. I never thought he would ever get back to fitness and put in the performances he has since his return.

Also for Englands sake I hope Owen gets sorted out. Him and Rooney would still be the front two I'd pick.

Paul

Soldato
Jofujofu said:
After seeing how Dyer has been sorted out by Roeder and the other staff, I actually have high hopes that Owen will get back to his best. I know it's still early days for Dyer, but he is looking like a quality player again. I never thought he would ever get back to fitness and put in the performances he has since his return.

Also for Englands sake I hope Owen gets sorted out. Him and Rooney would still be the front two I'd pick.

Paul

Dyer was more of a mental attitude thing though surely, Owen is fragile and injury prone, he definitely wont make it through next season without a serious injury.

daz

daz

Soldato
Burned_Alive said:
Dyer was more of a mental attitude thing though surely, Owen is fragile and injury prone, he definitely wont make it through next season without a serious injury.

There were interviews with Dyer with him stating about how depressed he was getting about his injuries etc... football is massively about confidence.

Soldato
Jofujofu said:
I think that Owen will definately stay. I think him and Oba would be a fantastic pairing up front. Why do people think hes ready to leave? There has been no suggestion in the press whatsoever.

As said earlier, apart from the top four, I don't believe any other English team to be a step up from Newcastle so why would he leave?

Paul

Eggsactly.
This has been a bug-bear with me since the day he signed and there was constant speculation from bitter quarters of the media and such about when and where he was going next.

We'd be mad to let him go anyway , we wouldnt recoup enough cash and if he gets his fitness back could be the difference between Newcastle finishing 8th and 4th.

Soldato
Owen will be here at Newcastle next season.

IF he comes back to good fitness and good form.... Newcastle can potentially have a very good season next year. This season can still turn out to be one of the best ever. Uefa cup success that is, and finished top 8 i'd say.

But with Roeder eyeing up some defensive transfer targets for next season already things are looking stable and finally promising after bleakness for too long now.

Soldato
I can imagine him staying for a while and possibly seeing his career out there, i mean shearer refused the move to UTD twice once to goto NUFC and he stayed there since. NUFC fans are the :cool: he'll get all the support he needs from them when he returns and if he gets his fitness right him/dyer/martins are gonna be a lethal combo :D

Soldato
Can Newcastle keep Martins though? Since he's proven to everyone that he can score in the premiership it wouldn't surprise me to see Chelsea or someone come knocking.

Soldato
R5Rich said:
I can imagine him staying for a while and possibly seeing his career out there, i mean shearer refused the move to UTD twice once to goto NUFC and he stayed there since.
Thats kinda different tho cos iirc ain't Shearer a Newcastle supporter? So its understandable to want to play for them till he retires.

I do think Owen will be at Newcastle for at least next season tho, not many teams can afford his wages and risk it with his injury record unless its pay as you play.

Soldato
Just been reading about FIFAs "final offer" of 1m towards Owens salary and saw this:

Newcastle claimed £6.2m towards Owen's salary costs after he ruptured cruciate knee ligaments 55 seconds into last summer's World Cup game against Sweden.

The Football Association is already paying Newcastle £50,000 a week to help cover his salary.

Now if we assume that Owen is out for a year (In reality it should be a little less) then that would mean that Newcastle are demanding just under 120k (6.2m/52) per week from FIFA on top of the 50k per week they get from the FA. Now I assume that Owen isn't being paid 170k+ per week so on what grounds are Newcastle demanding so much money? Looks like a case of pure greed on the part of the club to me.

Associate
Loss of wages, loss of his services, compensation for all the hassle it has caused them e.g. finding a replacement. Also remember as an 'Asset' he is now potentially worth less than he was when they bought him. Sounds all very reasonable to me.

Now what really irritates me is Blatter coming out saying players put to national duties should be insured by the club while FIFA cash in on it all. :mad:

Soldato
But it says there that both of those sums are towards his salary. In fact the bbc article goes on to say that they have put in a seperate claim to cover the purchase of Obafemi Martins as a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom