Will my Graphics card support Dell 2407WFP 24"

Associate
Hello.

This is my first post, after a hell of a long time trying to get an account on this forum! What a mission, i must have created about 20 different email accounts at all strange and obscure providers before i found one that wasn't banned on this forum. Anyway back to my question.

I've been having problems with my current CRT monitor (at least i think its my monitor), its probably about 6-8 years old now and when the screen displays large amounts of black everything will go extremely blurrey - the more black, the worse the blurreyness is (maybe could be my graphics card?).

My current monitor is a DELL 21" UltraScan and im looking to upgrade to a Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP 24" but i'm not 100% sure if it will even work with my current graphics card, and come to think of it - the rest of my components.

I have:

ATI Tyan Tachyon Radeon 9600 Pro (could be any of those words, i just copied them off the box)
Athlon XP 2800
1GB of RAM

(i know....it was built in the stone age)

My graphics card seems to cope with the current 21" monitor. I just wondered would it cope with the Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP 24" or will it even have the right ports on the back to let me plug it in?

I'm hoping to upgrade my whole PC or just the graphics card in the next few months. Would i be able to get along with the current setup and the 2407WFP until then?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Matt Frost

Soldato
What do you plan on using the monitor for? Desktop applications should be fine but you'll be unlikely to play games at full res.

Associate
OP
I don't play games very often, maybe 5 hours a week max. And even when i do, the most graphical game is Battlefield 2. But I have to run that at 800x600 anyway.

So the cable will definately fit into my current Graphics card?

Thanks again!

Soldato
The Dell has both DVI and VGA connections. Your graphics card will have VGA and possibly DVI so connectivity isn't an issue.

Associate
i don't know much but i'm assuming that your graphics card is AGP so if you're going to upgrade your PC i'd advise you start with your motherboard, Processor and GFX card rather than getting a better AGP card because they're pretty much dead the way i see it.

Caporegime
MFrost said:
I don't play games very often, maybe 5 hours a week max. And even when i do, the most graphical game is Battlefield 2. But I have to run that at 800x600 anyway.

So the cable will definately fit into my current Graphics card?

Thanks again!

all flat screen monitors will have a DVI or a DSUB input. IF your panel has one, and the graphics card another, you can buy adapaters for it, so theres not a flatscreen monitor out there, that wont work.

but i would make the point, that you really are wasting your time if you're even thinking about firing up battlefield at 800 x 600. As this will be so stretched on a 24 inch monitor, it will look dire, and a hell of a lot worse than your old monitor

why spend £500 to make your games look worse ?

either buy a smaller monitor, or buy a better graphics card. a £200 X1950 XT will be much more up to the job.

Soldato
MrLOL said:
but i would make the point, that you really are wasting your time if you're even thinking about firing up battlefield at 800 x 600. As this will be so stretched on a 24 inch monitor, it will look dire, and a hell of a lot worse than your old monitor

why spend £500 to make your games look worse ?

either buy a smaller monitor, or buy a better graphics card. a £200 X1950 XT will be much more up to the job.

In his original post he does mention that he will upgrading his pc in the near future but wants to make sure that the monitor will work with current setup until he upgrades.

Permabanned
if you can afford it... do it ;)

i just bought this monitor, got it on tuesday, and the best thing i ever bought. came from a 17inch dell tft i bought 4 years ago, and wow the difference, and i never even used DVI before. and that is another wow!

its worth every penny, but then again i have a 512mb 1900xtx saphire, so im running everything at 1920x1200 games and applications, and it loves it.

Associate
OP
WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I bought the monitor and it just arrived. Im absolutely gob-smacked at how much bigger it seems compared to my 21" CRT. Also im pretty sure there's absolutely no dead pixels!!

There is one much mark on the surface of the panel at the top right about 2-3cm long and in a 'V' shape. Anyone any tips for removing that king of mark form the screen?

I'm no expert on flat panel monitors - i've never had one before. But i cant seem to get text to look quite as crisp as it did on my CRT? Is this normal? I havnt installed the driver CD yet, is it worth doing that?

Thanks a lot you guys! Really helpful!!

Matt

Permabanned
i didnt have to install any drivers, + i think that what is on the cd is just info and instructions, i had a look, but it told me my settings was allready there, since im using ATI drivers 7.2 i didnt have to do anything.

im glad you love it, i do too! i cant keep my eye's off the monitor, i cant stop loading/testing games to see how good they are! the colours so nice!

it is a awsome monitor!!!!

Associate
Klear Screen is very good at removing marks. You can buy a starter pack, It has all the stuff you need to look after your screen.

Soldato
Are you running in the panels native resolution? 1920x1200. It will look blurred/distorted in any other resolution due to scaling, although its worst on text, Gaming tends to look 'ok' at non native resolutions.

If you program up custom resolutions, you should be able to make a res thats both widescreen, and low enough resolution that your games are still playable too. 1280x720 for instance.

Back
Top Bottom