Will Power to control speed

Associate
Just wondering how people control there speeds.

Me being 17 and all, you can probably guess how i drive.
But since Tuesday i think i may have been caught speeding, my will to speed has dramatically changed. I barely speed anywhere i think well this is quicker than walking so theres no need to go faster.
Just wish i got this into my mind earlier on. Ahh well live with the consequences.

And to my question how do you lot control your speed. As a fair few of you have very fast cars, it would be intresting to know.

Associate
Once you start having to fill your car up every week you'll realise that if you go 70 instead of 90 on the A roads/motorways you'll get an extra couple days commute out of a full tank.

Caporegime
I control my speed by knowing roughly how fast I'm going without looking at the speedo, it becomes 2nd nature to know how fast you are going, and you soon grow out of needing to hoof it everywhere.

Caporegime
Some self control. But I do like going out for a hoot everynow and again :)

When I first got caught speeding, I wouldn't dare speed anywhere....that lasted about 3 weeks :p

Associate
Economy. Driving fast I will get to work 10 minutes earlier at 20mpg. Driving smoothly I get to work 10 minutes later at 30mpg.

Caporegime
-Looks at type of road
-Looks at time of day
-Looks at weather
-Looks at traffic situation
-Looks for people about
-Looks for police

Modulates accelerator pedal in accordance to the above parameters.

Soldato
I don't speed, never have and never will and there's no video evidence on the internet to suggest otherwise.

No sir ee.

Except for perhaps youtube.

And maybe some others too.

Soldato
BMWs are great for watching your driving habits. I find myself trying my hardest to get 50mpg out of the 530d by staring at the MPG needle. Therefore i rarely go above 10mph

Soldato
Once you've seen a few crashes and/or had some yourself you will soon realise that speeding is bad!

And dont think of the speed limit on roads as a target, its just a guidline. Just cos it says 60 doesnt mean you have to drive like a loon down that narrow country lane! and without sounding too rude being only 17 you probably lack common sense and experience, until something bad happens you probably wont know just how dangerous driving too fast can be. Keep to the limits or slower if you want to be a safe driver.

Last edited:
Soldato
Once you start having to fill your car up every week you'll realise that if you go 70 instead of 90 on the A roads/motorways you'll get an extra couple days commute out of a full tank.

I've never cared, and will never care about how many times a week I need to fill up.

Even after two accidents where one could have been fatal, I still drive fast, but these days I asses the conditions and if it is going to be safe to go fast or not. Generally speaking though I've become quite laid back and relaxed so don't care how long it takes to get somewhere, and will happily cruse along within the limits. :)

I hooked up my speedo to an anal probe, above NSL and I got a nasty surprise.

You realise after a while you'll probably begin to enjoy it, meaning you speed more often. :p

Associate
In terms of safety:- It may also depend on what car you have, a car that is designed to go fast may well have better safety systems and better braking compared to flooring a hatcback with a 1.2L and having no ABS or traction systems.

I think I'd be happy and safer speeding in a car that could handle it lol :) Of course speeding is very wrong children :p

Soldato
9 points/court and a fine did it for me.
Indeed! :D It's funny how people who can 'just sneeze' and exceed the speed limit find their ability to control their speed is dramatically enhanced when only 3 points away from a ban :p

I know when I was on 5 points and had about 6 months before the '6 point ban' expired, I had no trouble staying strictly within the speed limits :p