Will the i7-4790K work in my build?

RJC

RJC

Don
With k CPU you won't be able to overclock with your current motherboard.

What games are you struggling with? As the i7 really only adds hyperthreading.

Associate
OP
Pretty much all of them TBH. It's fine while im gaming offline, but as soon as i try to stream or record my FPS tanks badly. After chatting with some colleagues we felt it was the processor holding it back. Adding the i7 would give me a boost in speed (3.4 on the i5 and 4.0 on the i7) as well as the hyperthreading which would help with streaming and recording, as well processing the vids.

My concern is when i start playing Witcher 3 my machine is going to throw a fit, since ei apparently only just barely meet the minimum requirements for it, and fail the reccomended specs.

As for overclocking, i never do that anyway, to afraid of killing my machine lol. I chose the K version because the normal version is only 3.6Ghz rather than 4Ghz on the K

Soldato
Pretty much all of them TBH. It's fine while im gaming offline, but as soon as i try to stream or record my FPS tanks badly. After chatting with some colleagues we felt it was the processor holding it back. Adding the i7 would give me a boost in speed (3.4 on the i5 and 4.0 on the i7) as well as the hyperthreading which would help with streaming and recording, as well processing the vids.

My concern is when i start playing Witcher 3 my machine is going to throw a fit, since ei apparently only just barely meet the minimum requirements for it, and fail the reccomended specs.

As for overclocking, i never do that anyway, to afraid of killing my machine lol. I chose the K version because the normal version is only 3.6Ghz rather than 4Ghz on the K

What quality are you trying to stream at? I struggle with 1080p streaming if im on an intensive game.

Associate
The big issue here is the motherboard. You need a Z97 motherboard for overclocking options. In that respect, I'd suggest a motherboard bundle.
YOUR BASKET
1 x Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 - Devils Canyon Core i7 4790K CPU & Motherboard Bundle **£25 Saving** £393.98

No point in going for the K version if you don't overclock, the difference in clockspeed is the sort of thing an overclock would give anyway. Just follow the tutorials and go for a safe overclock. You risk killing the chip without sufficient cooling and/or when it's being pushed too high. IMO anything up to 4.5Ghz should be safeish. Heck, if you will keep the i5, practice overclocking that first. Otherwise, just go for it and buy the CPU, since your current board will work and isn't overclocking what is apparently an overclockable i5.

Last edited:
Soldato
I dont think his current cpu is a K version so he cant really practice much on that one, but my 4970k turbos to 4.4ghz on stock settings so that would be plenty without overclocking anyway if his does the same.

Soldato
If you do intend to stick an i7-4790K in, go into BIOS first and check BIOS version and then check online to see if it's Devil's Canyon ready. If not, you need to flash BIOS to latest version with your present CPU first.

Associate
OP
The big issue here is the motherboard. You need a Z97 motherboard for overclocking options. In that respect, I'd suggest a motherboard bundle.
YOUR BASKET
1 x Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 - Devils Canyon Core i7 4790K CPU & Motherboard Bundle **£25 Saving** £393.98

No point in going for the K version if you don't overclock, the difference in clockspeed is the sort of thing an overclock would give anyway. Just follow the tutorials and go for a safe overclock. You risk killing the chip without sufficient cooling and/or when it's being pushed too high. IMO anything up to 4.5Ghz should be safeish. Heck, if you will keep the i5, practice overclocking that first. Otherwise, just go for it and buy the CPU, since your current board will work and isn't overclocking what is apparently an overclockable i5.

I was looking at one of those, so i'll pick one up insteap of the processor alone.

Overclocking isn't something i can do unless i buy a new case, which isn't possible due to size constraints. I already have to run hot and had some overheating issues on this build, so i'll have to stay close to nominal or it'll just melt :D

Soldato
I would do what Danny75 advised and update your bios.

http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/H81MK/HelpDesk_Download/

You should be able to install a decent low profile air cooler. An AIO(120/240mm) with flexible hosing is another option. The Corsair H series are to rigid, so may cause problems due to the orientation of the mobo and the hoses having to come over the Gpu. If you can get a decent OC with the updated bios, I would look at getting a better case.

Associate
OP
urgh i hate driver sites. i never know what im supposed to be downloading and always afraid i'll break my system. It's why i buy prebuilds :D don't need to stress over it lol.

Guess i'll take it into my local shop and get them to give it a overhaul, it's almost a year old now so it's probably due

Don
I cant see that this upgrade is going to offer you a massive improvement, your current chip is running at 3.8Ghz (according to the linked page) vs. 4Ghz on the 4790k

Back
Top Bottom