Will the PS4 work on my TV!

Soldato
Hello all,

I'm paranoid that my PS4 won't work on my TV when it arrives on Friday.

My TV is a Toshiba Regza 32RV635. It's a 2010 model I believe. I've read about a few people have problems with Toshibas and I cannot afford a new TV as well, and nor do I have the luxury of a 2nd TV :(

Does anyone else out there use a PS4 on a Toshiba, or better yet the model mentioned above?

Last edited:
Soldato
Why wouldn't it work?

Game Mode
Models in the XV Series have an exciting new feature for the gamers amongst you - Game Mode. This feature is designed to enhance the gaming experience by ensuring the best possible aspect ratios and response time of the television to the gaming console. Game Mode bypasses much of the picture processing technology required to enhance TV programmes and films, resulting in an improved response time and screen refresh rate.

Game Mode is compatible with any HDMI equipped games console and automatically adjusts the picture to deliver a more realistic game setting and importantly 1:1 pixel mapping. This allows every last detail of the original image to be shown without cropping the edges; giving the online gamer a distinct advantage over opponents without Game Mode and improving the overall gaming experience for even the most casual of gamers.

Soldato
Situation
If you experience sudden unexpected complete, (not partial), loss of audio & video, video only or audio only the cause may be an HDMI hand shake problem.

Possible causation
With the advent of super fast powering up media (source) devices such as a cable box or satellite receiver data can arrive at an AVR and or HDTV too fast. Think of it this way. You have a garden hose with an attached nozzle. When the water is turned on before triggering the nozzle the water in the hose is backed up. Once the nozzle is opened the backed up water rushes out at an above normal force. This is what happens when a source device using an HDMI cable powers up before the AVR and or TV. The data backs up in the HDMI cable. Once the AVR and or TV are completely powered up the oncoming rush of data may cause a disruption, i.e. HDMI hand shake issue.

Correcting a hand shake problem
Disconnect the source devices HDMI cable from the AVR and from the AVR to the HDTV. If the HDMI cable is routed from the source device directly to the HDTV disconnect the HDMI cable from the HDTV. Wait 10 to 20 minutes then reconnect the HDMI cables. IMPORTANT! Power up the AVR and HDTV completely before the source device. In most instances this should resolve the hand shake issue.

Preventing a hand shake issue from re-occurring
To prevent future hand shake issues ensure the AVR is fully powered up before the source device (sat recvr, cable box, etc.). If the HDMI cable is routed directly from the source device to the HDTV ensure the HDTV is fully powered up.

Better yet power up your AV devices in the following sequence - HDTV, AVR then cable box or satellite receiver. This process is very simple if powering up manually. When using a remote you can achieve the same result by programing in power up time delay for the source device.

You may need to consult the maker of your AVR, HDTV, source device and remote control for brand specific information.

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...g-hdmi-hand-shake-problems.html#ixzz2t12rl86g

Associate
My Toshiba had serious grief when first switching on the Ps4 or when switching to and from DVD / Blu-Ray as it took a minute or more to handshake (having the TV on first obviously not relevant in these cases).

I cured this by throwing an hdmi switch in between the PS4 and TV. It wasn't a deal breaker but it was very irritating, it still sometimes has sound issues if the TV isn't on first but it's a lot better.

Back
Top Bottom