• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Will you be buying a Radeon VII?

Will you be buying a Radeon VII?

• Total voters
Caporegime
Curious really and interested in those who will or will not purchase and for what reason. I thought it was a $100 cheaper than a 2080 but since been told otherwise, so this makes me think of who will be buying and for what reason or vice versa.

I will ask for a poll.

Caporegime
OP
Given the time (or lack of) AMD has been working on this and how quickly they transitioned to TSMC I suspect this is more an equivalent of a straight up design shrink than something designed from the ground up to take advantage of the node - they seem to have kind of jumped on 7nm in a hurry.
It does look that way but at least they have something for the 4K gamers who tend to favour AMD.

Caporegime
OP
Very surprised to see people leaning towards not buying. A 30% on average (give or take) over the V64 is a decent jump in performance but I also see where people are coming from in terms of price. As has been said by @Dicehunter "it is a Mi50 card that looks like a stop gap before Navi, which isn't a bad thing really and it will have enough VRAM to run 8K (although maybe not the grunt).

I genuinely do feel for AMD and would love to see them, going toe to toe but going from this thread, they are not really helping themselves and whilst NVidia are being the greedy money grabbers, even I didn't expect AMD to follow suit (although price wise, HBM2 isn't cheap, so maybe pricing is a little fairer from AMD). Lisa Su did say a couple of years ago that AMD is no longer a budget brand also.

With Intel joining the discrete market, I sure hope Navi is decent.

Caporegime
OP
I think the lean to not buying is because unlike in the "will you buy an RTX card" the results are spread differently (if anyone can find that thread I'd greatly appreciate it, I went back as far as June and didn't spot it, but I guess I just overlooked it). If memory serves, the options were pretty much the same - Yes, No, Wait for benchmarks... but the spread was either yes or no, the wait and see benchmarks was drastically lower... I think it says more about the difference between the nVidians and the rest of us.. nVidians will buy whatever is put in front of them, whereas sensible people will wait for benchmarks to see if it's worth it. I really would like someone to find me that old thread because I feel a little awkward commenting without the exact numbers at hand, this is just from memory and I'm getting old :(
Looking at the 2080 sales figures, the 'NVidians' as you call them are not buying either. I bought a 2080Ti and whilst it is a fast card and can do RT and DLSS, I don't mind admitting that the price was way over the top. BFV looks sweet and runs pretty well considering that this is the first game to make use of the Tensor cores and give some RT goodness but £1150 for a GPU that would have cost a max of £500 is nonsensical really.

I have noticed of late that more and more people are getting pee-d off with the prices and my last build that I did cost my mate roughly £880 and this was a semi midrange build. I am going to put my hands up and say if prices continue like this, I will be going for a console. I can't keep justifying the prices, as others also can't.

Caporegime
OP
I totally agree. The 2080 was one of the most disappointing Nvidia products I can remember and made quite a few YouTubers' worst products of the year lists, for AMD to match this in terms of performance and price while having fewer features is not a good strategy.

Monitors are also a big bone of contention for me vs TVs, you get so much less for your money. Where are all the 1440P OLED HDR monitors for a reasonable price (£500-700)?
Can't argue with that. I do love my UW screen but paid £1400 for it and that is mental when you consider you can get a 55" OLED for a little more (last time I checked).

Also not helping me is gaming time and how little I do when I get it now. Nothing is sticking out for me and the only 2 games that have me a little excited are Anthem and TD2

Back
Top Bottom